Server 2016 / Remote Admin 5.3.39 clients can't connect?

I installed a new server to replace our old Server 2003, the new server is running server 2016. The problem I'm having is that I have everything installed and configured; the server has downloaded all the latest updates and I've turned the Windows Firewall off but not of the clients can connect and download updates from the server.

Looking at the even log on the server I see errors happening usually either "Download Interrupted" or "Could not connect to server"; the clients are basically showing the same errors.

I've gone through all the server and security options multiple times "Enabled unauthenticated access for Clients" is checked; the HTTP server port is set to the default of 2221 and I just can't figure out why clients can't seem to connect. Does anyone have an idea?

6 hours ago, bbahes said:

At this time not using ERA 6 or v6 clients, still using ERA 5 and 5.x clients. As I said, clients can't get update from the update server,  any suggestions on why?

8 hours ago, bbahes said:

It has to be Windows Firewall. Try scanning your 2016 server for open ports.

The network is set to private and I have the Windows Firewall set to Off so I don't think the firewall could be blocking the 2221 port while it's turned off

On 11/16/2017 at 11:40 AM, bbahes said:

Have you tried this article: https://support.eset.com/kb3504/?locale=en_US and sub article https://support.eset.com/kb3281/ ?

I have now, but still not working; I have a feeling the problems on the server. Doing some research I found that running "Netstat -an" will give a list of ports that are listening and 2221 is not on the list so for some reason the administrative server isn't listening on that port. Also I tried telnet to the server from one of the clients "telnet 192.168.1.11:2221" and I get "Connecting To 192.168.1.10:2221...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed".

I've checked the server again and the management console and as usual the Updates tab says "Provide update files via internal HTTP server" which is checked and the HTTP server port is 2221 and authentication is none.

So if the ERA server is not working properly on Window Server 2016 Standard for some reason how do I trouble shoot it and find out why the internal HTTP server is not working?

Netstat.txt

On 11/20/2017 at 2:12 PM, foneil said:

j-gray is right that our Knowledgebase and Download page only list support up to 2012 R2 for ERA 5.x, so we don't officially support Server 2016 with ERA v5. 

So what? That means no one is even going to make an attempt to try and help me figure out why this doesn't seem to be working?

I uninstalled and reinstalled, also I believe that I found at least part of the problem which was a different program which I uninstalled. Netstat -an now shows that port 2221 is listening but not on the IPV4 address of the server; what it shows is  "TCP    [::]:2221              [::]:0                 LISTENING", anyone have an idea why 2221 doesn't seem to be associated with the IP address of the server?

4 hours ago, Norm@Home said:

So what? That means no one is even going to make an attempt to try and help me figure out why this doesn't seem to be working?

I uninstalled and reinstalled, also I believe that I found at least part of the problem which was a different program which I uninstalled. Netstat -an now shows that port 2221 is listening but not on the IPV4 address of the server; what it shows is  "TCP    [::]:2221              [::]:0                 LISTENING", anyone have an idea why 2221 doesn't seem to be associated with the IP address of the server?

No, they are not interested in v5. It is considered old and will reach End of Life on Dec 2020. It now has Limited Support  and will later have only Basic Support.

Have you tried accessing from localhost?

On 11/25/2017 at 1:16 AM, bbahes said:

No, they are not interested in v5. It is considered old and will reach End of Life on Dec 2020. It now has Limited Support  and will later have only Basic Support.

Have you tried accessing from localhost?

I tried telneting to 127.0.0.1:2221 but still got "Could not open connection to host"

I tried netstat -an again and the only two entries for port 2221 now are:

TCP    0.0.0.0:2221           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING

TCP    [::]:2221              [::]:0                 LISTENING

It's listening but not on either 127.0.0.1 or the actual server address 192.168.1.10; I believe that this is what the problem is that for some reason the server is listening but on on any actual IP address but on no address which is why the clients can't connect. If it worked up to Server 2012 why would it not work on Server 2016 (not R2)? This has got to be some kind of configuration problem either with the  ERA server or the servers TCP configuration. I'm gone over both and I don't see anything obvious. There has got to be an answer as to why this isn't working.

On 11/20/2017 at 7:03 AM, Norm@Home said:

I get "Connecting To 192.168.1.10:2221...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed".

Look at your error message. Your syntax is incorrect, so it's going to the default Telnet port 23.  Use a space between IP and Port, not a colon.

0.0.0.0 is equivalent to all IPv4 addresses so it's listening as it should be, and on the correct port, 2221.

As bbhas suggested, run a port scan to verify that the required port(s) is/are actually open and visible externally.

Edited by j-gray