Updating at Boot causing Problem

graesid

I am wondering if it is possible to delay the usual Update when I first boot up my computer until after  I have logged on . I have experienced on a couple of occasions my computer hangs on the "welcome" and from what I can see from my investigation this has coincided with an update to The Virus signatures having taken place as shown on their date and time . At the time there is no way of knowing an update is taking place as I have not reached the logon stage and I have had to close the computer and restart at which stage I can then see there has been an update. All updates run fine after that.

• Administrators

I doubt that a signature update would cause this. You can try temporarily disabling automatic updates in Scheduler, restart the computer and see if the issue recurs.

I will give this a try, I thought perhaps it happens only when there is an actual update to download that would take time  like there was this morning ,which I now recall that after I did see it later it showed that it had an error with the little red mark against it . That eventually cleared away after I installed the notified  update to 7.0.302.26 which also showed up.All has been fine since then

I did not alter anything yet I thought I would watch for a few more days to see if any problem under the new update . All was well this morning though I must say the boot time and presence of the Welcome rotating circle is considerably longer than I remember than  before installing Eset and even this  morning when I got to log on a signature update was still installing. We wall see how it goes.

IMHO problem is that ESET store latest updates dates, infos (etc) in registry, not in file. When registry is damaged (eg. during power off) ESET going crazy - it has updated signatures, but registry says something differet and soft simply cannot decide update again or say "I am updated". This is bug since years and still not fixed.

Edited by Galnospoke

• 3 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello,

Have you checked the hard disk drive for problems using the hard disk drive manufacturer's diagnostics or even the Windows Chkdsk command?  If the computer's drive were failing that could account for all sorts of unusual behavior.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky