Feature Request: Duplicate Machine Report/Purge Function

One thing I know would be useful to me and my team is a way to quickly purge or remove machines from ESET that are duplicates or even stale machines from ERA 6.  We have found that as machines are reimaged, or removed from the domain, their ESET object remains.  I understand that ESET doesn't receive any notification as far as when these events happen, but if there was the ability to easily do a clean up within the console, this would be very helpful.  My current process for this is to build a machine report to a specific OU, download the CSV into Excel, and do some filters to evaluate duplicates.  This is tedious and time consuming to do.  Would anyone else find this useful?

• Administrators

To remove computers not connecting to ERAS, run a "Delete not connecting computers" or "Static group synchronization" task.

2 minutes ago, Marcos said:

To remove computers not connecting to ERAS, run a "Delete not connecting computers" or "Static group synchronization" task.

I have found that to be problematic for a couple of reasons.

1. If the machine has just been powered off for an extended period of time.  I don't really want to delete the object since that will lose all information about the device.  If the machine has been reimaged, I only want to keep the one with the most recent connection.

2. I have found this to be problematic with licensing when selecting the remove option license.   For example, I believe when a machine is named "CompName123" and that machine is reimaged with the machine "CompName123", when the delete non-connecting machines task is issued with the remove license.  I have not heavily tested, but I believe in a couple of cases it is being removed from both the old and new object.  In ERA 6, this is an issue since you have to reissue the activate command to the object rather than in previous versions of the server issuing the license from the server automatically.

• ESET Staff

For the new version of ERA V7, we are planning to improve the handling of duplicated entries, and also support for VDI environments with non-persistent storage + environments where imaging software is being used. That should resolve your problem of having duplicated entries.

Machines removed from domain should be done by the "computer extinction handling" upon the sync from the AD.

2 hours ago, MichalJ said:

For the new version of ERA V7, we are planning to improve the handling of duplicated entries, and also support for VDI environments with non-persistent storage + environments where imaging software is being used. That should resolve your problem of having duplicated entries.

Machines removed from domain should be done by the "computer extinction handling" upon the sync from the AD.

Great! I am looking forward to the release!