Just updated from Smart Security v10 to Internet Security v11.0, (x32 Vista) when the computer starts EIS icon does not show in taskbar (next to clock) and the splash screen does not appear. When I select the shortcut on the desktop it starts just as it used to. Happy to say I have used ESET since v3.0 and never had a problem, I tried Uninstall then reinstall 3 times but no fix. Please help me, thank you my friends. 

• Administrators

Is ekrn.exe among running processes in the task manager? Is there also egui.exe? If not, are you able to launch egui.exe from the Start menu?

Did you reboot as instructed after installing EIS ver. 11? Did the Eset GUI appear a short time after the desktop initialized?

Did you check to see if the Eset GUI icon is hidden i.e. click on the up arrow symbol on the desktop taskbar?

On 29/10/2017 at 8:46 PM, Marcos said:

Is ekrn.exe among running processes in the task manager? Is there also egui.exe? If not, are you able to launch egui.exe from the Start menu?

Thanks macros, yes ecrn.exe is running and so is egui.exe. I tried from start menu and it starts just like it used to including splash screen and icon working. Just dont understand why you don't see splash screen and icon on or after startup. Thanks. ?

On 29/10/2017 at 9:23 PM, itman said:

Did you reboot as instructed after installing EIS ver. 11? Did the Eset GUI appear a short time after the desktop initialized?

Did you check to see if the Eset GUI icon is hidden i.e. click on the up arrow symbol on the desktop taskbar?

Thanks for reply, yes I did reboot and waited but no luck, it never showed, and the icon was not hidden by anything and it's still the same. Thanks. ?

• Most Valued Members

If you are using Vista I think the following will be close to Windows 7 in appearance. If you have already tried the following please disregard.

Just to be sure. Did you try right clicking on the task bar > select "Properties" > on the "Task Bar and Start Menu Properties" Screen that opens under "Notification Area" click the "Customize" button and find the "Eset Main GUI" icon and make sure the "Show Icon and Notification" is showing. If not click on the drop down menu and select it.

See Screen Shots

Properties.png

Notification.png

• Administrators

Since the splash screen appeared when launching EIS from the Start menu, it wasn't running beforehand.

I would suggest generating a Process Monitor boot log as per the instructions at https://support.eset.com/kb6308/. When done, compress it, upload it to a safe location (e.g. OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.) and provide me with a download link. Also enclose logs collected by ELC.

7 hours ago, Marcos said:

Since the splash screen appeared when launching EIS from the Start menu, it wasn't running beforehand.

Can we now fully rely on the splash screen always appearing at boot time in ver. 11? Also, I hope you don't mean that EIS doesn't start(Eset kernel running and protecting ) till the splash screen appears?

In prior vers., it was a "hit and miss" thing on my PC. Seemed to be dependent on boot speed. A fast boot would show it and a slower one would not. I just assumed that it did actually try to display but the desktop wasn't fully initialized yet. As such, I never was concerned if it appeared or not.

• Administrators

What I meant was that if the splash screen appears when launching ESET from the Start menu, egui.exe was not running. If it doesn't appear and gui appears right away, egui.exe was running and just its icon was not visible in the system tray for whatever reason.

Of course, ekrn.exe is the crucial process which is responsible for providing protection. Egui.exe does not need to be running and the computer will be protected though.