Firewall rules issue with Windows 10 Build 1709 and Internet Security 10.1.235.0

I have firewall rules for some services that use scvhost.exe (for example wuauserv) but after upgrading to Windows 10 Build 1709 and Internet Security 10.1.235.0 these rules are no longer used. Now the firewall only reports that scvhost is trying to connect outside but is not able to determine which is the service using scvhost.exe (as it was able to do before).

Is this a known issue?

rules.PNG

Interesting. As far as I am aware of, ver. 1709 didn't change anything in the way services are handled over that which existed in ver. 1703.

Did you upgrade to ver. 1709 with Eset ver. 10.1.235 installed?

Try to run an Eset repair installation. You do that by using Windows built-in program uninstaller feature. The Eset uninstaller will run and ask if you want to do an uninstall or a repair. Select repair. When the repair completes, reboot your PC and see if your firewall rules now work.

Before doing anything, export your existing ver. 11 settings for saving.

Then I would open an Eset tech support ticket about the issue. My guess is they will first advise you uninstall and then reinstall. If you do that, you can then import your previous settings w/o losing them.

Edited by itman

• 1 month later...

Interesting.

I also have trouble creating basic rules with windows 10. Especially with everything behind svchost. It's pretty opaque for me. Is there an example (rule file or screenshot) of basic rules applicable to a clean system?

I just noticed something else on this regard I should have checked initially. Take a look at Eset's firewall default rules in regards to svchost. They also are missing any specific service reference.:huh: 

-EDIT- My best guess at this point is Eset is deferring to Win firewall default outbound rules on Win 10 1709. If a rule exist there for svchost for a given port/s, Eset uses the Win firewall rule to determine the service. Possible explanation as to why is not all Win services are accessible i.e. shown via Admin -> Services option in Control Panel.

Edited by itman