V11 .msi silent install fails

coch

Any input from admins or others?

Unfortunately trying to replicate Proactive Services method did not produce same results here. @Proactive ServicesAre your install consistently successful?

There should not be any issues between 1034 and 1033 language settings

The exe method would be much easier to keep OEM installs current

If we can get a working command going then just drop in latest exe edition and unattended installs would be golden 

I will keep trying the exe steps to see if I can stumble on the issue but in the meantime the old MSI method combined with a prepopulated registry setting is working well

Any input, suggestions or speculations are very welcomed - We don't learn unless we struggle!

• Administrators

Try running the bootstrapped installer with the following syntax:
EIS:
--silent --accepteula --language 1033 --msi-property-ehs PRODUCTTYPE=eis

EAV:
--silent --accepteula --language 1033 --msi-property-ehs PRODUCTTYPE=eav

Optional parameter:
--msi-property  ADMINCFG="%path_to_the_cfg_xml%"

Edited by Marcos
typo fixed

Thanks Marcos, I confirm it works now, with a slight modification to your above instructions:

-silent should be --silent

(you had double dashes everywhere except for the first argument silent and I found it didn't work with a single dash, you really need two dashes everywhere)

I also found that the % are not required in the path_to_the_cfg_xml

Here's the command that I used, with correction made, and it was successful in a complete silent install of NOD32 using the .exe:

eav_nt64.exe --silent --accepteula --language 1033 --msi-property-ehs PRODUCTTYPE=eav --msi-property ADMINCFG="D:\Reformat\Programs\NOD32-v11-Config.xml"

Replace whatever's between the quotes after ADMINCFG= with the actual path to your own config file.

Edited by coch

Sorry, it is not 100% working unfortunately, despite my post just above.

The settings from the cfg.xml file are not applied. Quotes or no quotes. Percent sign or no percent sign. ESET installs with the default settings regardless of having specified --msi-property ADMINCFG=

Just prior to the new information from @Marcos I was fooling around with the EXE silent steps and had the explorer open, seen the ESET folders created and started drilling down into the folder structure will it was installing. While doing this, the folders and files disappeared and was left with the eula bits.

suspicious of this behavior I preloaded the registry keys needed as I did for the MSI install and the silent exe method completed correctly, this indicated the need for the productacode , producttype and other registry strings needed.

When @Marcos submitted the new information with the new PRODUCTTYPE=eav added it looked hopeful the issue was getting narrowed down.

Putting the latest information into play this indeed is a working EXE silent install method

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:18 AM, Marcos said:

EAV:
--silent --accepteula --language 1033 --msi-property-ehs PRODUCTTYPE=eav

Optional parameter:
--msi-property  ADMINCFG="%path_to_the_cfg_xml%"

I  now get an unattended and silent install with the EXE but I too have not been able to get the config.xml to apply

SOOOO Close

@Marcos hoping you can shed some light on this last little tidbit

@Marcos Any word as to why the  --msi-property ADMINCFG="config.xml"  is not applying?

The prior unattended install steps work perfectly now but the config.xml still will not apply.

I have tried relative path to execution folder, absolute path and every variation I can muster with zero results.

I see the EXE boot strapper  appears to be written with Advanced Installer - are the MSI properties for the ADMINCFG option written into the Installer?

Something is up there with that property - Can you verify the optional command string to pass the ADMINCFG="config.xml" argument to the boot strapper?

You got us all this close to having the new EXE unattended method working - Don't give up on us now:)

The EXE method would ultimately be easier to keep the most up to date version installed

Make the folder and script and just drop in the latest exe version -- DONE!

Edited by NBPC

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 3/3/2018 at 5:02 PM, Allow said:

as a possible solution i tried to import a config with 

ecmd /setcfg c:\config\settings.xml

which is documented here: https://support.eset.com/kb6382/

this also fails, maybe the import function is broken in eset 11?

You have posted in a consumer product forum. This feature is available only in ESET Endpoint.

I am still looking for the solution to the unattended setting import but I really appreciate the offerings - something new to try - all other solutions thus far have failed

@Marcos any solutions to this issue from the development team?? I suspect the option may not be rolled into the new Advanced Installer package. Only development team would be able to verify this.

Overall the unattended EXE install is much easier to keep latest edition in the new builds but have to take a step to assure settings are preset  

Hopefully this last issue will get resolved soon

Thank you for your input

I agree. Installing silently with configuration is really useful to me, and if I didn't have the .msi workaround ESET would be the only software out of my approximately 15-20 software of all types that I install silently via my batch file every time I reformat and reinstall Windows (and I'm not even counting drivers which I also install silently).

For most software there is a way to achieve this, i.e. whether silent install or direct copy of the installed software under "Program Files", along with direct configuration as part of the silent install switches, copying AppData folder and/or merging registry settings.

I was unable to figure out a way to achieve this for ESET via the registry or AppData routes (I suspect it's possible though and that I just didn't dig deep enough, but this seems more complex than I'm used to).

This issue has to be a developer issue.

Either the new Advanced Installer packaging does not have that value added into the compiler(?) or the --msiproperty  value is not correctly written.

It would be nice if the moderators would get with the developer team to verify or post the equivalent of the MSI installers version of  /ADMINCFG="config.xml"

Sooo close

I keep hoping and poking around trying to "trip" over it :unsure::wacko::blink:

• 1 month later...
  • Group: Members
  • Kudos: 1
  •  

BUMP - still looking for answers!!! going to go back to MSI method soon. to many missed settings on new systems

@Marcos Any word as to why the  --msi-property ADMINCFG="config.xml"  is not applying?

The prior unattended install steps work perfectly now but the config.xml still will not apply.

I have tried relative path to execution folder, absolute path and every variation I can muster with zero results.

I see the EXE boot strapper  appears to be written with Advanced Installer - are the MSI properties for the ADMINCFG option written into the Installer?

Something is up there with that property - Can you verify the optional command string to pass the ADMINCFG="config.xml" argument to the boot strapper?

You got us all this close to having the new EXE unattended method working - Don't give up on us now:)

The EXE method would ultimately be easier to keep the most up to date version installed

Make the folder and script and just drop in the latest exe version -- DONE!

Edited February 9 by NBPC

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Try this syntax:

eav_nt64_ENU.exe --silent --accepteula --msi-property-ehs PRODUCTTYPE=eav --msi-property PRODUCT_LANG=1033 PRODUCT_LANG_CODE=us-US ADMINCFG=“C:\Install\cfg.xml“

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Marcos we have a working script to install and preconfigure :D

Marcos said:

Try this syntax:

eav_nt64_ENU.exe --silent --accepteula --msi-property-ehs PRODUCTTYPE=eav --msi-property PRODUCT_LANG=1033 PRODUCT_LANG_CODE=us-US ADMINCFG=“C:\Install\cfg.xml“

or

eav_nt64_ENU.exe --silent --accepteula --msi-property PRODUCTTYPE=140 PRODUCT_LANG=1033 PRODUCT_LANG_CODE=us-US ADMINCFG=“C:\Install\cfg.xml“

This works for EAV so if you would like to install EIS or ESSPand the first method didn't work, let me know and I'll find out the code for other product types as well.

This first one silent installs but still did not pass the config settings during install

The second one was a success!!

eav_nt64_ENU.exe --silent --accepteula --msi-property PRODUCTTYPE=140 PRODUCT_LANG=1033 PRODUCT_LANG_CODE=us-US ADMINCFG=“C:\Install\cfg.xml“

Many thanks to everyone for their input

@Marcos  Is it possible to get the product code list for the other security products???

:D:rolleyes::)

My final install package is as follows:

Make a folder with any name on any drive or folder.
Download the latest eav_64.exe and eav_32.exe and place that in the created folder
Export the config from EAV that has the settings you prefer and put that in the created folder as well
Create a CMD (mine is ESET_GO.CMD) and copy script below. (Be sure to match the exe and config names)

This will launch from any drive or location - old dos trick >>>  %~dp0

@Color 0a
@ECHO OFF
:: Asks for admin privileges
:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REM  --> Check for permissions
>nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system"
REM --> If error flag set, we do not have admin.
if '%errorlevel%' NEQ '0' (
    echo Requesting administrative privileges...
    goto UACPrompt
) else ( goto gotAdmin )
:UACPrompt
    echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    set params = %*:"=""
    echo UAC.ShellExecute "%~s0", "%params%", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    exit /B
:gotAdmin
    if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" ( del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" )
    pushd "%CD%"
    CD /D "%~dp0"
:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ECHO     Silently installs Eset AntiVirus and preconfigures settings . . . Please wait . . . 

IF EXIST "%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%" (GOTO 64BIT) ELSE (GOTO 32BIT)
:32BIT
%~dp0\eav_nt32.exe --silent --accepteula --msi-property PRODUCTTYPE=140 PRODUCT_LANG=1033 PRODUCT_LANG_CODE=us-US ADMINCFG="%~dp0\Configx86.xml"
GOTO END
:64BIT
%~dp0\eav_nt64.exe --silent --accepteula --msi-property PRODUCTTYPE=140 PRODUCT_LANG=1033 PRODUCT_LANG_CODE=us-US ADMINCFG="%~dp0\Config.xml"
GOTO END
:END

Edited by NBPC

OK there may be a glitch yet - The Install shows up as ESET Internet security instead of ESET Security - an EAV product key is not accepted.

@Marcos - I need to verify ProductType=140 is indeed NOD32 Antivirus

I will try again on a clean install to double check and report back the results :blink:

Ran some tests and it looks like ALL MSI values need passed using -- msi-property switch or the config does not get applied.

When I was testing I did not try a product key since the goal was looking to see if the settings took the Config.xml 

Using PRODUCTTYPE=140 is telling the EXE it is Internet Security - you get the Banking and ?? shortcut and at the license screen it says ESET Internet Security

The product key (for EAV) gets rejected with an error which was the alert to the problem

@Marcos - Can you verify proper PRODUCTTYPE code? In the registry I see a ProductAType code of 106 on an EAV install

is that the value that is being passed?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally have it working in full now!!!!

eav_nt64.exe --silent --accepteula --msi-property PRODUCTTYPE=eav PRODUCT_LANG=1033 PRODUCT_LANG_CODE=en-US ADMINCFG="Config.xml"

EDIT: >>> Another glitch was found where the everything installed correctly but product license key would not activate - the PRODUCT_LANG_CODE=us-US  should be  en-US

With this correction it is working 100% unattended

My final install package is as follows:

Make a folder with any name on any drive or folder.
Download the latest eav_64.exe and eav_32.exe and place that in the created folder
Export the config from EAV that has the settings you prefer and put that in the created folder as well
Create a CMD (mine is ESET_GO.CMD) and copy script below. (Be sure to match the exe and config names)

This will launch from any drive or location - old dos trick >>>  %~dp0

@Color 0a
@ECHO OFF
:: Asks for admin privileges
REM  --> Check for permissions
>nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system"
REM --> If error flag set, we do not have admin.
if '%errorlevel%' NEQ '0' (
    echo Requesting administrative privileges...
    goto UACPrompt
) else ( goto gotAdmin )
:UACPrompt
    echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    set params = %*:"=""
    echo UAC.ShellExecute "%~s0", "%params%", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
    exit /B
:gotAdmin
    if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" ( del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" )
    pushd "%CD%"
    CD /D "%~dp0"
ECHO     Silently installs Eset AntiVirus and preconfigures settings . . . Please wait . . . 

IF EXIST "%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%" (GOTO 64BIT) ELSE (GOTO 32BIT)
:32BIT
%~dp0\eav_nt32.exe --silent --accepteula --msi-property PRODUCTTYPE=eav PRODUCT_LANG=1033 PRODUCT_LANG_CODE=en-US ADMINCFG="%~dp0\Configx86.xml"
GOTO END
:64BIT
%~dp0\eav_nt64.exe --silent --accepteula --msi-property PRODUCTTYPE=eav PRODUCT_LANG=1033 PRODUCT_LANG_CODE=en-US ADMINCFG="%~dp0\Config.xml"
GOTO END
:END

Edited by NBPC

• 2 weeks later...

@Marcos

Final verified working unattended command is below:

eav_nt64.exe --silent --accepteula --msi-property PRODUCTTYPE=eav PRODUCT_LANG=1033 PRODUCT_LANG_CODE=en-US ADMINCFG="Config.xml"

One final tweak that I am looking for - Is there command line switch to enable / accept the Live Grid during install?