Windows 8.1 mouse pointer short flicker

zerotox

Hello everyone,

It's not a big deal but I would like to ask if anyone has also seen this small quirk. When you near your mouse pointer to the blue links in ESET's different interface options (run smart scan, statistics, the blue links to the different tools in the "Tools" section, etc.) it flickers for a few seconds at first. Cannot post a picture as it will be static and will not reflect what I'm describing.

Although ESET shouldn't be affected by the infamous problem with mouse lags on Windows 8.1, you might want to try installing this hotfix: hxxp://support.microsoft.com/kb/2908279

Thank you for your swift response, Marcos. It flickers only for a moment and then stops, and it doesn't affect the correct function of the links in any way. I will wait though before installing that MS hotfix to see if others are experiencing the sames or it is just me. I prefer not to install any redundant MS patches and hotfixes except when there is no other way and I don't play games on my PC.

So please if any body else is having the same experience like me, share it here.

Do you have an AMD graphics card? There has been a problem with later drivers causing pointer flicker and lag in some applications. I noticed it with Quicken 2013. The latest AMD beta driver reportedly fixes it, but I reverted to 13.4 which was the last stable release before the issue occurred.

Do you have an AMD graphics card? There has been a problem with later drivers causing pointer flicker and lag in some applications. I noticed it with Quicken 2013. The latest AMD beta driver reportedly fixes it, but I reverted to 13.4 which was the last stable release before the issue occurred.

Yes, and my display driver version is 13.152.1.8000 (13.9)

Edited by zerotox

It was when I updated to 13.9 that I got hit by the problem. For some reason this board won't let me paste, so I can't copy the link.

Do a Google search for "Problem with AMD Catalyst 13.x beta drivers and Quicken" and you'll find several links. Although it mentions beta drivers, I had the problem in Quicken with 13.9 stable. I've gone back to 13.4 which solved it for me, but some of the posters reckon anything later than 13.1 has the problem.

AMD acknowledged the problem and suggested it had been fixed in the release notes for 13.11 beta 3, but I haven't tried it as I'd rather stay on an older stable release.

Probably I'll go back to 13.1 and see if this changes this small glitch as it is a bit annoying, although it doesn't have anything to do with ESET's main function - protecting my PC.