Heads Up - Major Problems with 6.6

Hello All

Looking for help from fellow users, because I'm getting none from ESET. We've been using ESET for three years now, with no more than the usual level of problems security software causes. Until now.

1) 6.6 GUI crashes on all our 60+ W7 PCs, 99% of the time. ESET have acknowledged a bug is responsible, but nearly three weeks after I raised the ticket, they're saying they have no timetable for releasing a fix. Anyone else suffering the same? Any workarounds? We need the GUI to manage ESET and especially to help manage the process of tightening our defences (ESET and others) to comply with Cyber Essentials.

2) Endpoint Security 6.5 installed to c:\program files\ESET\ESET Endpoint Security. 6.6 installs to c:\program files\ESET Security - ESET say that they are changing all their variants to install to this common folder, instead of each having their own named folder. Unfortunately ESET seem to have made a mess of this. Pushing 6.6 from ERA results in some PCs having both installed, some in none installed, some with both installed and fighting over which is operational, some with both installed but neither operational. The Start menu sometimes shows both. Uninstalling from ERA doesn't work properly, unsurprisingly. More worryingly, even the latest ESET uninstaller tool doesn't seem to recognise the new folder names or start menu entries, so I have little confidence it is really uninstalling the product properly. For now, from affected computers, I have hacked out ESET using all available methods plus manual, then reinstalled clean (hopefully) from ERA. Again, anyone else affected?

Even more than the serious nature of these problems, it's the lack of effective response and timescale which concerns me. Comments, anyone?

Look forward to hearing from you

William

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

we are sorry for the inconvenience.

the service release for Endpoint 6.6 is already on way.

When it comes to the upgrades the installer should uninstall the older version prior to installing to the new one, not seen such issues yet and the upgrades were tested internally and are supported. So hard so say what went wrong. Have you submitted logs for the second issue to your local customer care for investigation?

Regards, P.R.

Experiencing the same issue with crashing EGUI.exe's on almost all of our W7 PCs, as well. No workarounds, but ESET assured me since the services are still running, clients are protected. Not sure if they will receive policy changes I push out though?

Looking forward to the service release, hoping it corrects this and the "File not found on server" email alerts I am getting regularly since the update.

All of my clients that were installed last month by pushing out from the ERA are installed to \Program Files\ESET\ESET Endpoint Security. The few clients I manually uninstalled and reinstalled by creating a packager appear to be installing to \Program Files\ESET\ESET Security.

Edited by John.From.VT

22 minutes ago, John.From.VT said:

Experiencing the same issue with crashing EGUI.exe's on almost all of our W7 PCs, as well. No workarounds, but ESET assured me since the services are still running, clients are protected. Not sure if they will receive policy changes I push out though?

Looking forward to the service release, hoping it corrects this and the "File not found on server" email alerts I am getting regularly since the update.

All of my clients that were installed last month by pushing out from the ERA are installed to \Program Files\ESET\ESET Endpoint Security. The few clients I manually uninstalled and reinstalled by creating a packager appear to be installing to \Program Files\ESET\ESET Security.

Thanks John, it's reassuring in some ways - and not, in others - to find we are not alone.

We also have been seeing all too many of the "file not found on server" errors.

W

2 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello,

we are sorry for the inconvenience.

the service release for Endpoint 6.6 is already on way.

When it comes to the upgrades the installer should uninstall the older version prior to installing to the new one, not seen such issues yet and the upgrades were tested internally and are supported. So hard so say what went wrong. Have you submitted logs for the second issue to your local customer care for investigation?

Regards, P.R.

Re upgrade/uninstaller problems: tech support has not asked for logs. They might have extracted relevant logs when they dialled in for a remote session, but they didn't say they were doing so, and they may have focussed only on the GUI crashing bug.

W

Just updated from Endpoint Antivirus 6.6.2046.0 to 6.6.2052.0 and it failed with return code 1603.

It didn't rollback anything so I'm left without AV. I'll try the uninstaller tool...

• ESET Moderators

Hello @holmesmiller ,

would in be possible to grep the install log from a machine, where the upgrade failed along with output from ESET log collector for me to check?

@ronmanp in case the upgrade fails you may send the logs mentioned above to me to check.

Regards, P.R.

5 hours ago, Peter Randziak said:

would in be possible to grep the install log from a machine, where the upgrade failed along with output from ESET log collector for me to check?

Peter: remember I had to uninstall ESET from all our PCs, in some cases using the uninstaller tool plus manual hacks, and reinstall. Will this not have overwritten the logs of the failed / confused installs?

So are you in effect asking me to uninstall 6.6 completely from one PC, reinstall 6.5, then push 6.6 from ERA and see if it fails or is confused - then send you the relevant logs?

W

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I'm afraid that the logs were lost during such procedures.

basically you can send me logs from any failed installation you encounter, we may check what exactly went wrong, no need to do it on purpose when it works for you now.

Regards, P.R.

Logs were lost here also. After failing to upgrade ESET I rebooted and Windows 10 1703 wouldn't boot anymore.

Couldn't even get into safe mode. 

Tried to resolve it with ESET Premium Support (#69797) but nothing worked so I had to reinstall the OS. 

ESET have confirmed that (a) there is no timescale for the GUI crash fix for 6.6 and (b) if a security problem is discovered in 6.5, it will not be fixed, ie 6.5 is unsupported. This leaves us with no alternative but to replace ESET with another product, in order to comply with Cyber Essentials. We are not happy, to put it mildly.

• ESET Staff

What do you mean a "security problem is discovered"?

We will be soon releasing a service release for EP 6.5 that will support Windows 10 RS3. The rest of the fixes is usually delivered via module updates.

But any new changes (from the program poit of view) will be done in 6.6.

Concerning the GUI crash, I will check internally, but last time developers / QA were not familiar with the issue as it did not occur during our QA and we have no other reports besides you two. If you will be able to deliver a memory dump from the crash, it will greatly help us to diagnose the problem and work on a fix, as there might be another service release past the one that is planned for the Windows 10 RS3 release.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience. 

On 10/7/2017 at 12:32 AM, MichalJ said:

Concerning the GUI crash, I will check internally, but last time developers / QA were not familiar with the issue as it did not occur during our QA and we have no other reports besides you two. If you will be able to deliver a memory dump from the crash, it will greatly help us to diagnose the problem and work on a fix, as there might be another service release past the one that is planned for the Windows 10 RS3 release.

Please confirm: what exactly is the *current* status of this bug, according to ESET ? eg Not acknowledged as a bug / acknowledged but nothing more / fix in progress / partial fix available /full fix developed but no timescale / full fix available on dd/mm/yy ?

• ESET Staff

You have mentioned, that someone from ESET has acknowledged this is a bug. Can you please let us know, the respective ticket number, and support organization you have been in contact with. Out of the provided information, I was not able to find the issue in our bug tracking system. So as of now, the status I can confirm is "unknown". After being able to track it internally, I should be able to come up with the statement. 

• ESET Staff

Thank you. That helped a lot. I can now confirm, that issue is known to ESET, and currently resolved within the code base. Builds starting with number 6.6.2055+ will contain it (latest service release was 6.6.2052, which did not contain it, as it was created prior the fix was made).

We do anticipate to have a service release with relation to Windows 10 RS3 support ready within next two weeks, so that one will include also this fix.

Edited by MichalJ