Virus signature updates

You should be able to go to tools and scheduler to check if your updates are scheduled.

There is nothing wrong with reinstalling but your problem may still exist or come back. I would investigate through to resolution first.

Try clearing the update cache in advanced 》Update section :)

• Administrators

Do you mean that if you leave your computer turned on for more than an hour and there's a newer signature database available, your ESS will not update automatically? Or is it that ESS doesn't update automatically after Windows starts?

I think there are Serverproblems, at least in Europe. I had one machine hanging at 9028 and one at 9032 running aprox 5-7 hours and i was told there are no updates available.

Now, attempt after 4 manual updates i got now 9036.

Edited by rif

• ESET Insiders

Hello,

Same issue here, automatic updates stating up-to-date. Go to Tools>Scheduler and "last run" shows automatic update just ran. Virus Radar shows update available. Manual check for update works and downloads latest update. It does repeat itself. Stopped updating at 9035. Manually updated to 9036 after automatic update says up-to-date. Virus radar says 9037 available but automatic update says up-to-date. Manually updated to current 9037. For some reason automatic update always saying up-to-date and must manually update in order to have latest updates. Any ideas?

• Administrators

At the moment, it may take a few attempts to update to the latest version due to a high load on update servers caused by a large base update that has recently been released.

It is not very good that it says that the product is up to date when it isn't, though. It should say "Unable to connect to the update server. This might be because of a high server load. Please try again later." or something along those lines.

• Administrators

It is not very good that it says that the product is up to date when it isn't, though. It should say "Unable to connect to the update server. This might be because of a high server load. Please try again later." or something along those lines.

The mechanism is smart and it's been improved significantly a couple of months ago. Users with older signature db are now prioritized and are able to update even at times of a high load. The product actually connects to the server and receives information about the current version being served by the server, hence it evaluates the situation and correctly tells that the database is current.

I'd like to note that base updates like this occurs about 1-2 times per year so it's not common that you couldn't update on the first attempt.

Users with older signature db are now prioritized and are able to update even at times of a high load. The product actually connects to the server and receives information about the current version being served by the server, hence it evaluates the situation and correctly tells that the database is current.

I'd like to note that base updates like this occurs about 1-2 times per year so it's not common that you couldn't update on the first attempt.

Shouldn't the update servers have the capacity/bandwith to be able to handle even that big updates without delay?

Let's say there is a new dangerous virus that is only detected with the latest signature update. And now this update is delayed by several hours or even a whole day because the servers are overloaded.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

load balancing on servers is extremely rare (once or twice a year).

The servers have enough spare capacity to serve the requests during normal updates, but yesterday the load was higher by orders of magnitude.

In case you would be downloading such new sample, it would be blocked by cloud in new versions.

Hey....

Eset Smart security v7.0.302.26 does not auto update when windows pro. 8.1 64 bit starts up. Windows is set to " go to desktop" when windows 8.1 starts . Internet connection is up and running before Eset, and everything is okay in Scheduler. Eset does update after an hour. At current moment, Eset shows vd. 9039 and when I check Eset Virus radar it should had updated to vs 9041 , when windows starts up. Tried to uninstall Eset and reinstall to see if that did a different (not that I thought it would do a different actually).No other security software is running, there might block the update function. Just in case I did a " ping update.eset.com into the command prompt " and as expected everthing was okay.

Regards, Janus.... ups have to go :-))

So Peter,

Were you trying to say that the cloud would assist in blocking the new variant until sig update later, at which time instructions for handling and disposing of could be grabbed ?

Thank you.

So Peter,

Were you trying to say that the cloud would assist in blocking the new variant until sig update later, at which time instructions for handling and disposing of could be grabbed ?

Thank you.

Hi Arakasi!  Yes something like that that's how I understand it anyway :)

Also see Marcos reply here:  https://forum.eset.com/topic/1093-why-is-eset-failing-so-bad/?p=7377

Edited by SweX

So Peter,

Thank you.

Also see Marcos reply here:  https://forum.eset.com/topic/1093-why-is-eset-failing-so-bad/?p=7377

Very cool

Hi Swex !

Edited by Arakasi

So Peter,

Thank you.

Very cool

Hi Swex !

Yes very nice! :D  You're welcome  ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • ESET Insiders
Users with older signature db are now prioritized and are able to update even at times of a high load. The product actually connects to the server and receives information about the current version being served by the server, hence it evaluates the situation and correctly tells that the database is current.

I know the update mechanism could be smart on the server side, but on the client side there are many scenarios which possibly couldnt be tested thoroughly

Once the update mechanism is stuck into errors like "Update database is not needed" or "Activation error" or "Invalid username/password" or invalid data in Nup/ver files, the way to solve the problem is probably the cause of the problem, too. (Changing Update settings mainly | Internet connection interrupted unexpectedly)

Edited by toxinon12345