Virus Signature Database Update Ended with an Error

Phil_S

I have just started receiving this error periodically with EAV 7.0.302.26 on a fresh Win 8.1 install from bare disc. Previously, I have been running EAV on various versions of Windows from XP through to Win 7 and Win 8 without experiencing the error, which happens only on first boot of the computer or resuming from hibernation, frequently but not every time. At least I don't think I've ever had the problem before, but it isn't apparent from the taskbar notification icon, only from a red warning triangle against the update tab when opening the EAV console.

I have tried flushing the cache as per SOL3189 which accurately depicts the error that I am seeing, and have also completely removed and re-installed EAV but it still occurs.

I don't think it is a cache problem as even if I don't clear the cache on seeing the error, I can carry out a successful manual update straight away by clicking on the Update button, and/or subsequent updates once the machine is running occur without problem.

The computer is connected to a permanently on internet connection. I am wondering if the issue is due to the network connection on the computer not being ready when EAV attempts the update, as Win 8.1 is noticeably quicker to boot or wake from hibernation that even Win 8 was on this machine.

Just wondering if anyone else running on Win 8.1 is seeing this error, or if any of the Eset staff can comment on a solution? I wondered if delaying the update for a minute or so after boot or wake might fix it, but can't see a way to do that through the scheduler. It seems that if the update fails, EAV won't attempt to update again for 60 minutes (as per the scheduler) which means the system possibly running for that time without the latest signature updates if any are available.

Hello Phil_S

It sounds like it is one of these cases when the programs tries to update/check for updates, before the internet connection is fully established. Like on first boot, or waking the computer up from sleep. Because like you say, you can update manually just fine, and it will auto update normally every hour after you have seen the error. 

It have happened to me once or twice on XP, so for me it is very rare. But yes I am sure it can be annoying if it happens more frequently.

I don't think there is a fix/solution for this. AFAIK it is by design in the software, maybe ESET can change this in the software to delay the update check by let's say 5 seconds. As you are not the first to post about this small by somewhat annoying issue on the forum. ;)

Thanks SweX

I do think a short delay in starting the check for updates would solve it, as you say. I've disabled the setting on the network card to allow the computer to turn it off to save power, and experimented with disabling other power saving features on the card such as green ethernet, but it's not made any difference.

Would setting the Eset service to automatic (delayed start) help, or would that cause other issues? It seems poor design that if an important update has been released in the time that the computer might have been off or asleep for several hours, that the machine could be unprotected for an hour or so on awakening!

• 2 weeks later...
  • ESET Insiders

It sounds like it is one of these cases when the programs tries to update/check for updates, before the internet connection is fully established. Like on first boot, or waking the computer up from sleep. Because like you say, you can update manually just fine, and it will auto update normally every hour after you have seen the error. 

I even noticed Update cache is not used for already downloaded modules, specially in slow connections when Update failed after 83% progress

All the files are downloaded again ! 

The update cache is used only for Succesful Updates

I hesitate to say this, as it will probably start a spate of errors again, but things seem to have settled down in the last few days. One thing I have noticed is that the EAV tray icon indicates that it is checking for updates as soon as my Win 8.1 desktop comes up after login (I login straight to the desktop and bypass the start screen) but on a Win 7 machine the icon doesn't change to show EAV is checking for updates until a few seconds after I have logged in to the desktop and I haven't noticed it suffering the same error.

I have an always on internet connection by the way, it's just the link between the computer and the router that goes to sleep when the PC hibernates.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump such an old thread but I have exactly the same problem as the topic starter described.

ESET Smart security 8.0.319.0
Windows 7 Enterprise x64

Suggestions please?

I recently purchased this software, but this is pretty annoying.

Thanks!!

Please install the latest version 9.0.318 and let us know if it helps.

Thanks for the suggestion Marcos.

I prefer not to install a beta version though.

Any other suggestions please?

Thanks for the suggestion Marcos.

I prefer not to install a beta version though.

Any other suggestions please?

V9 left Beta status today and the Final version of V9 was released. (:

I am afraid today it happened again. Seems ESET wants to update before my network is "ready".

Any other suggestion Marcos?

Maybe show the ESET splashscreen at startup? Will that give the network more time to get "ready"?

• Administrators

Make sure that an Internet connection is already established when you attempt to update. Otherwise ESET will update automatically in 60 minutes which is the default update interval.

Make sure that an Internet connection is already established when you attempt to update. Otherwise ESET will update automatically in 60 minutes which is the default update interval.

Hey Marcos, I know that.

But just like the OP I sometimes have the problem that my internet connection is a little bit later ready than usual, making ESET skip the update.

I don't like that my PC is exposed for the next 60 minutes. This is a security risk.

Do you have any suggestions to fix this?