System configuration data error

This error just popped up. I was not doing anything with ESS. Could someone please shed some light on it? I could not find a KB on it.

Error2.jpg.e05f92ea9c2902cc345746f511e52c8d.jpg

error3.jpg.b4fb1b2c2f050e09b024a98a9d2cd380.jpg

Edited by TomFace

• Most Valued Members

Oh My, it's one of the dreaded "I've Never Seen That Before" issues.

Along with a reboot as suggested by itman you can also try a "Repair" by going to "Programs and Features" in the control panel and right clicking the Eset install and select "Change" giving you the opportunity to repair the install. 

Of course this won't tell you why it broke but it may fix what's broken.

InstalledRepair.png

Thanks to the both of you...I think it happened once before....there were no ill after effects then...but I think I'll do a repair and reboot anyway. Haven't been on the machine all day...was off line (literarily). Watering the lawn and doing yard work before autumn really sets in.  

Enjoying the sunshine and cool breezes after about 6 days of 90+ degrees F. :)

• Most Valued Members
18 minutes ago, TomFace said:

Thanks to the both of you...I think it happened once before....

Never seen this happen in all the years i have used ESET products and if you have had it happen twice could suggest there is something else causing the issue. If the repair does not work , you can PM me and i will see if i can help you out any.

only if you do my grass :lol:

14 hours ago, cyberhash said:

Never seen this happen in all the years i have used ESET products and if you have had it happen twice could suggest there is something else causing the issue. If the repair does not work , you can PM me and i will see if i can help you out any.

only if you do my grass :lol:

Thanks ch. I was hoping a ESET Mod might jump in and offer some sage advice. I did the repair last night which took me back to ESS 10.1.204.0...rebooted and then went back to 10.1.219.0 rebooted again....so far so good. But I'm with you as I have been using ESS for quite a few years and this is relatively new to me as well.

*********************************************************************************************

9/30.17 update

I submitted a ticket to ESET US support and will post their response here when received.

Edited by TomFace

And the 10/2/17 @ 6:14PM  EDT response is........
My name is XXXXXXXX X, thank you for contacting ESET North America Technical Support.

Based on that unique error, I would recommend manually uninstalling ESET to reinstall it. Our team has not currently had that reported to us in the past. For illustrated instructions to manually uninstall your ESET product, visit:

http://support.eset.com/zap/kb2289/
==========
REINSTALL
==========
After you have completely uninstalled your ESET product, you can reinstall your ESET product. For illustrated instructions to reinstall, visit :
http://support.eset.com/zap/kb2788/

I am just going to wait & see....sometimes the "manually uninstalling ESET to reinstall it" advice is handed out way too frequently (in my opinion). Besides that, it's a pain in the backside to do it. In other words..."we don't know...but do this...it MAY help."<_< 

I would think if someone would do some digging/inquiring they would find a bit of information somewhere.

I am normally very happy with ESET Support, but this is a disappointment.    

Edited by TomFace

• Most Valued Members

As i mentioned before i have never personally seen this error message and can only guess that as the message suggests the "configuration" has somehow become corrupt. Leaving it to see if it sorts itself out might not be such a good idea as there could be many parts corrupted and could leave you unprotected in the worst case scenario :wacko:.

Therefore exporting your config.xml and importing it into a fresh install would also be a bad idea as it would most likely import corrupted entries back into a fresh install and put you back in the same position as before.

Since support are not willing to dig any deeper as to where the corruption is coming from, you might want to run a couple of simple checks before removing and reinstalling, as any faults that are originating from hardware will be sure to rear their head again in the future.

Running "chkdsk" on your system drive from an elevated command prompt to check for bad sectors on your hard disk. Then maybe a quick run of memtest to check for any errors that may be originating from faulty ram https://www.memtest86.com/.

7 hours ago, cyberhash said:

Running "chkdsk" on your system drive from an elevated command prompt to check for bad sectors on your hard disk.

This is probably the best explanation; some type of hardware "glitch" caused the corruption.

On the other hand @TomFace, you run Win 7. On Win 10, its ELAM driver allows Eset's kernel to load as a kernel mode protected process. Therefore, it is possible that there was something that caused corruption to Eset's kernel that threw the alert. Supporting this would be if Eset was OK after a subsequent reboot.

Edited by itman

Thanks to you two again....will do the chkdsk/command prompt. It just seems to me if the error message was designed by the developers a "cause and effect" explanation  should  exist. But maybe I'm incorrect.

• Most Valued Members
3 hours ago, TomFace said:

Chkdsk completed without any issues (as far as I know-it took about 4 hours). So now we shall see.

I recently had to do a Chkdsk on my older system. Took a bit longer with the same result.

Not related to any issues with EIS but with a website problem and freezing the system. It was a scare ware attempt. It worked, it scared the you know what out of my wife. No problem to fix but it took a while.

Hope everything goes well for you and you don't have any more problems.

Thanks for your input SCR. I highly regard your opinion as well as cyberhash and itman. ;) 

You folks help a lot of other users.:)

Edited by TomFace