ESET rank & competition

Clark_10

Hi,

I've been using ESET for almost 9 yrs now and I personally have never had any problems.

I cant even remember but I've probably upgraded sequentially from version 3 and currently run ESET SS 10. Infact I've never really had to raise any support or even come to the forum for any support.

Just wanted some opinions because over the last 2-3 yrs I've seen a lot of Reviews of various Magazines/IT forums/Online Tech sites etc consistently lower ESET ranking to the point that some1 like fatsecurity.com rank it 19. Of course, we wouldn't expect everyone on the internet to have the same opinion but if you look at Kaspersky, its always there in top 3 on all sites. Price wise, ESET was always higher and I didn't mind that but is there anyone who can explain why its rank is just tanking.

Mostly, I've felt it was always light-weight, resource efficient but reviews are now rating others as far better, can all of that be true ?

• Administrators

Tests are tests and reality is often different. There's nothing like 100% threat detection that you see in tests which are always performed on a very limited set of samples out of which ESET users have never encountered. Besides the score and numbers, you should also be familiar with the methodology and understand how tests were performed and how they are relevant to everyday use. E.g. measuring the time of installation of a particular software; even if it takes a few seconds longer with an AV but all subsequent scans are extremely quick, who cares. Also ESET scans installation packages of popular apps thoroughly while some other vendors skip a lot of files inside. Here you trade off performance for security, although the chance of infection in popular software installers should be low.

ESET scans installation packages of popular apps thoroughly while some other vendors skip a lot of files inside. Here you trade off performance for security

My first post was just the crust of the matter, from what I have quoted you, I'd agree that the details of the tests and how they're conducted etc should be looked at which i'll definitely do. Thanks.

Edited by Clark_10

• Most Valued Members

@Clark_10 The proof is really in the pudding so to speak. I think someone that uses an application over years has a better understanding and more knowledgable about any products quality than another entity that spot tests numerous products within a single working day.

From cat food to headphones , mobile phones , computers and cars. Everyone has a different experience when using something over a longer period of time. What appears to be great at the time of review might not even be to your taste, or might not prove as such a great purchase within days/weeks/months of use.

Clark_10 ...There are many of us like you who have been using ESET products for years. The topic of test results just won't go away.

Like Marcos and cyberhash said, test results (which CAN be skewed one way or the other) and real life results are 2 very different realities.

Daily "seat of the pants" experiences are what counts.

Or if you have unlimited time and resources, you can be chasing test results :wacko:"till the cows come home" and still not find satisfaction. As far as price is concerned, look around for seasonal sales either on the ESET website or other vendor websites (i.e...Amazon). I always keep a couple spare licenses by shopping around (especially during Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales).

If the test is for security effectiveness and not done by an AV Lab, I would ignore it.

As far as AV Lab tests goes, they vary in test methodology and malware samples used. So it is best to evaluate results for multiple AV labs over an extended period of time.