Unity/Ubunutu Lovin needed

Guest Hooch

Guest Hooch

Can we please get some support love for Unity, I hate having to switch eviroments to gnome for only ESET,

• ESET Moderators

Hello Hooch,

we are aware that Unity desktop environment is being widely used by Linux users and therefore we added support for it in the latest release of ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 for Linux Desktop (4.0.79.0).

You could download it here.

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Chris

Hello Hooch,

we are aware that Unity desktop environment is being widely used by Linux users and therefore we added support for it in the latest release of ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 for Linux Desktop (4.0.79.0).

You could download it here.

Regards,

I want to congratulate the ESET Team for doing a great job supporting Linux!

I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 with Unity, but unfortunately Nod32 version 4 no longer fits perfectly with that. The reason is that Ubuntu 13.04 dropped the support for the classic system tray in favor of the new indicator menu. So the Nod32 systray icon is no longer visible and the tweak via dconf is invalid now, because that key is gone, along with the classic systray.

So I had to find a patch to bring back the old systray and I can see Eset icon now, but it looks different, does not fit in with default linux theme.

Is there a chance we could get ANY of the following improvements?

- ESET Nod32 version 6 for Linux;

- App indicator to replace the deprecated systray (inline with the new indicators available now);

- Ubuntu system notifications instead of ESET's notifications, which look very deprecated;

- Full resolution icon for Unity app bar (on the left, not the start menu), because the current one is stretched out and looks very blurry;

- At least the ability to tweak ourselves the current interface for Linux? I would love it to be closer to version 6, but at least if we could change the fonts ourselves, because the text is too small and looks like a Wine-emulated interface. Is there a .cfg file that could do such tweaks?

I am extremely excited about having ESET Nod32 on my Ubuntu and my only wish now is to get it as integrated as possible, ideally tweaking the interface to match version 6 and having a complete Unity/Ubuntu integration. This would be a dream come true!!

Kudos for being the best Linux antivirus/antimalware out there. I've tried them all, only one other came relatively close, but not close enough.

Cheers

Chris

• ESET Moderators

Thank you for the feedback Chris, I will be sure to pass this to our Product Managers to consider for the next Linux release.

Hi,

PMFJI, but isn't Linux meant to be secure? Is an AV necessary?

I shall be installing NOD32 for Linux on my Linux partitions (all 6 of my PCs are multibooting - all with several distros) and I am just curious.

I am just waiting until the last day of my Kaspersky licence before having a mass install of ESET to all of the OSs on all of my 6 PCs.

Regards

DrT

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

I think that really depends on your definition of secure. Linux can be made very secure (SELinux, AppArmor, grsecurity, etc.) and its relative scarcity at the desktop means that it is not targeted by criminals the same way the market leader, Microsoft, is on the desktop. On the other hand, the Linux-based Android operating system is the market leader in the smartphone space, and last year we saw Android malware increase by 1700%. Linux's biggest sweet spot is probably the server market right now, and that's where things start to get interesting: Over the past year, we have seen steady interest in compromising Linux-based systems, not because of any inherent insecurities in that operating system, but because the services which run on top of it are so widely used.  Compromising a single Linux-based web server often means getting control of hundreds or even thousands of web sites, and that's an attractive target for criminals who may want to steal credit card data, serve up malware to Windows desktops, use servers as C&C nodes for botnets, drop zones for stolen data, jumpboxes for attacks and so forth.

The likelihood of seeing malicious software on Linux is still orders of magnitudes less than on other platforms, but it's important to keep in mind that the criminal organizations behind those attacks are financially-motivated—they don't really care if you are running Windows or Linux or OS X.  What they care about is stealing.  If there's a large enough population to steal from (either from theft of services or outright credit-card/banking/financial institution-type theft or a myriad of other schemes) some of them are going to start attacking the platform when the ROI is high enough for them to make some money.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hi,

PMFJI, but isn't Linux meant to be secure? Is an AV necessary?

I shall be installing NOD32 for Linux on my Linux partitions (all 6 of my PCs are multibooting - all with several distros) and I am just curious.

I am just waiting until the last day of my Kaspersky licence before having a mass install of ESET to all of the OSs on all of my 6 PCs.

Regards

DrT

Guest TraliVali

I use NOD32 on all my machines too. Last year I migrated from win to Ubuntu and now I am very happy linux user. Always install NOD32 because it's better to be safe than sorry! Unfortunately, NOD32 doesn't work on Ubuntu 13.04. It works fine on 12.10 but not on 13.04 due to changes that were mentioned above. Loyally waiting for a NOD32 update that will make the AV work on Ubuntu 13.04 again. Hope it comes out soon as now I'm without AV.  :(

Hi Aryeh,

Thanks for you reply. I have left kaspersky forever, being a former ESET customer, as the K forums are not as friendly and the mods have some control issues (being polite natch).

Ha'im atah Yisraeli?

Regards

DrT

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

For the sake of anyone doing searches for a solution to making the ESET NOD32 show the Unity panel icon in more recent distros such as Ubuntu 14.04, there are two straightforward solutions that I have found:

1. In Terminal run the following command (after installing ESET NOD32) - Reference hxxp://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/avc_linux_2015_en.pdf

sudo apt-get install libappindicator1

OR

2. For those that prefer an option that fits in with the Unity Theme one can add a new AppIndicator called Indicator Systemtray Unity which adds a system tray to the Unity panel. A good howto can be found here hxxp://www.webupd8.org/2015/05/on-demand-system-tray-for-ubuntu.html

Certainly hope that the ESET NOD32 team keep their Linux version maintained, as it is certainly one of the best options when it comes to Linux antivirus programs.