Equifax Hacked

cyberhash

• Most Valued Members

Nice to see they called in security experts "after" the bird had flew the nest :unsure:

"Only the names, social security numbers, birth dates, addresses and, in some instances, driver's license numbers of 143 million Americans were exposed"

As for folks' credit card numbers, Equifax said payment card details for around 209,000 US consumers were also swiped by miscreants. In addition, "certain dispute documents with personal identifying information" belonging to 182,000 Americans were also illegally accessed. An unknown number of Canadian and UK customers have also had their private data pinched.

hxxp://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/07/143m_american_equifax_customers_exposed/

• Most Valued Members

So I do my best to protect my data by using common sense and use top of the line home computer security. Meanwhile,  Equifax allowed the world access to data that may be mine from May to July 29 and didn't get around to letting us know until September. Oops! Sorry about that but we, the executives at Equifax, needed the time to sell off our stock before the price dropped on this information..

But it's OK  because Equifax is going to help me protect my credit by offering free credit reporting protection, provided by them, "if" I go to their website and provide more information to them. In addition they will provide information on steps consumers can take to protect their personal information.... Yeah right... Why do I have to go give them more data to protect me? If it's been breached just send me a letter telling me they are "now" protecting my data. Oh never mind, from what I hear their protection isn't working very well these days.

I guess  the best way to protect your credit is not to have any.. Take your money out of the bank stuff it in your mattress and pay cash for everything.  But then capitalism would collapse because it won't work without people being in debt. 

Things are going a bit faster on that slippery slope.

hxxps://investor.equifax.com/news-and-events/news/2017/09-07-2017-213000628

{Ends Rant and walks away mumbling obscenities.}

• Most Valued Members

@SCR

You mean to say that a free years credit reporting protection isn't suffice for all your details possibly being in the hands of hundreds of criminals worldwide trying obtain credit, bank accounts or even I.D in your name. You sir are a very hard man to please :lol:

This 3 months time period seems to be the industry standard before letting the cat out of the bag and informing people. Just in time for your name being used for credit for your 4th home and 6th BMW.

Let me predict the outcome  ............. "Lessons have been learned"

Until the next time -_-

• Most Valued Members
44 minutes ago, cyberhash said:

@SCR
Let me predict the outcome  ............. "Lessons have been learned"

Until the next time -_-

That's right they have been "learned" but we will ignore those "Learned lessons" and carry on as if it never happened, as usual.

By the way, what time is it? ;)

• ESET Moderators

Some key points from the 7,200 word TOS, as reported by CNNMoney http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/08/technology/equifax-monitoring-services/

-Monitoring doesn't start until next week (shouldn't it retroactively start in July when the breach occurred?)

-You are giving up some of your rights to sue or join class action 

-They aren't promising to fix your credit, just monitor it

• Most Valued Members

The breach occurred in May and continued, unabated,  through July as I read it. 

Yes, they will just monitor it and tell you how bad they screwed up your life. Maybe a few apologies but then zero. Basically look we said we were sorry .. now go away. Oh, and please sign up for our monitoring so we can COA (first two words are "Cover Our" you can guess the last one) for future damages to us.

Why would anyone take the advice of a company that just allowed the world in to their wallet?

I wonder who or what was providing security to Equifax?

Bet you can't tell that this kind of stuff really ticks me off.

• Most Valued Members

I'm not a lawyer or anything but i suspect that they will probably end up walking away with nothing more than a lecture and a public apology. Because they are not a bank, they probably don't have to adhere to the same regulations as banks do regarding financial losses.

At worst they will fold/disappear and show up 6 months later under some new name. With some middle manager taking the fall.

But if anything, it will be a "test case in law" for any large scale hacks in the future.

Might even change the culture of storing card details/addresses for convenience on any website. This would actually be a good thing as typing 16 digits and filling in your address is not really a chore if it's going to protect you long term.