Idea: ESET Anti-Adware

Destroyal

ESET isn't the best at detecting Adware or PUPs

I was infected with tons of adware and eset didn't find anything. (Yes i had ESET set to detect PUPs)

It's because ESET mostly detects Ransomware and Malware.

So i have an idea - make a tool that would detect ONLY adware (like AdwCleaner or JRT)

(And sorry for the terrible grammar)

• Administrators

How can you know that a particular file should be detected if you didn't analyze it? Please submit undetected files to samples[at]eset.com and pm me the email address from which you will send it.

As for a separate product just for adware detection, this is a very bad idea. Then we could have plenty of product, one for virus detection, another one for Trojans, another one for ransomware, another for potentially unsafe applications, another product for adware... There's no sense in that. If something should be detected it should be detected by the current integrated solutions. It makes no sense to split detections with the same effect in terms of detection.

AV software's job is to protect against "malicious" adware. That is, ads that contains malware.

If you desire to block web based ads per se, use the appropriate tools; browser based tracking protection lists, add-on/plug-in ad blockers, or equivalent stand-alone ad blocking apps. 

• Administrators

First of all, applications must be thoroughly analyzed before they are classifies as PUA, adware or whatever. As for the app you've pointed out, it's on the verge between legit app and PUA but so far we haven't got sufficient proofs for PUA detection.

2 hours ago, Marcos said:

it's on the verge between legit app and PUA but so far we haven't got sufficient proofs for PUA detection.

I would classify at least as a potentially unwanted app.. There is just too much bad press about the software.

• Most Valued Members
21 hours ago, Destroyal said:

But it's not very good at detecting legit programs that are adware like ReimageRepair 

The problem is when it comes to PUA's each security program seems to treat them different. So some will detect something and others  won't. I persume they are also discovered  and handled differently than viruses. Best way to stay safe is to also be careful with what you download/instal 

• Administrators
17 hours ago, itman said:

I would classify at least as a potentially unwanted app.. There is just too much bad press about the software.

Feel free to pm me or email samples [at]eset.com proofs that a particular application has PUA-like behavior. Before an app is classified as PUA,we must have proofs to support the classification, e.g. in case of legal disputes.