Windows 7 and Smart Security

I have a HP laptop running with Windows 7. I have had ESET loaded for many years without a problem. Last week a window popped up offering me “extra features”  which I downloaded on 17th August. The following morning the laptop failed to start properly and then ground to a standstill. After performing “System Restore” I was back in business. I then uninstalled ESET and defragged. Still OK. Some days later I reinstalled ESET only to have the computer slow and fail when I tried to activate the licence key. Only System Restore has got me back in business. There is over 400Gb of free disc space.Please advise on resolving this problem.

• Administrators

Try running "EpfwWfpRegV10.1.3.exe /unreg" as an admin, especially If you had v4 installed some time ago and then reboot the computer. Does it solve the problem?

If not, try disabling the following, one at a time:
- automatic start of real-time protection followed by a reboot
- HIPS followed by a reboot
- protocol filtering

If that doesn't make any difference either, you can try renaming drivers in safe mode to narrow it down further:

1, "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Drivers\eamonm\eamonm.sys" and C:\Windows\System32\drivers\eamonm.sys
2, "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Drivers\ehdrv\ehdrv.sys" and C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ehdrv.sys.

If that doesn't change anything either, configure Windows to generate complete memory dumps as per http://support.eset.com/kb380/. When you encounter the issue, manually trigger a crash so that a complete memory dump is generated. Please compress it, upload it to a safe location and pm me a download link.

Thanks Marcos but by the third word I am out of my depth. Surely if I completely reload ESET Smart Security it should run smoothly?

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, jimboy said:

Thanks Marcos but by the third word I am out of my depth. Surely if I completely reload ESET Smart Security it should run smoothly?

Even though you may have uninstalled it sometimes there are leftovers from previous versions that cause issues