cannot safely eject SimpleTech usb harddrive

darocha

When I try to eject my usb harddrive using the pulldown meu from the system tray (Safely Move and eject media) it never comes back saying it is safe to remove.

Eventually I see the popup from Windows 10:

"Windows can't stop your device because a program is still using it. Close any programs that might be using the device, and then try again later"

And then right after that I see the Eset SCAN window pop up onto the screen!  Why is it seemingly trying to scan when I eject?

I have no scan scheduled for anything at this time.  It does this every time I try to eject.

I have not been able to safely eject since Windows 10 upgrade last year.  And finally found this forum where maybe someone can help.  Don't want to destroy any data.

Using eset nod32 antivirus 10.1.219.0

asus laptop

• Administrators

I would recommend contacting your local customer care. A removable drive should be scanned after connecting it to the computer. Couldn't it be that it takes long to complete scans due to many files on the disk and it's still being scanned when you attempt to eject it?

Make sure that automatic scan of removable media is disabled in the advanced setup.

One clarification:  when I said scan popup window, I should have been more clear.

It is the 'New Device Detected' popup that appears when I try to safely eject the usb hard drive.

The one that asks if you want to scan now or later, etc

Note: When I insert a usb stick, and try to take it out I CAN eject safely.  Windows DOES tell me it is safe to eject the usb stick.  Just not when I try to eject the usb hard drive.

-----------------------------------------

That said, there is never a scan in the process of running when I go to eject.  Just like there is no scan running when I go to eject the usb stick.

I have ALWAYS had it set to 'Show scan options' when removable media inserted.  Not to auto scan.

I am assuming this is a bug when going to check for safe eject tickles something that eset interprets as media insertion?

• 3 months later...

I don't know if you managed to sort this but I have the same problem. Please could an admin advise?

EDIT: I have ESET Smart Security BTW.

Edited by Piano
more information

• Administrators

I'd suggest disabling the following and see if it makes a difference:

- "Removable media access" in the real-time protection setup
- "Action to take..." in the Removable media setup.

darocha  I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. It turned out that one of my Windows 10 settings had changed.

Try going to Settings, System, Notifications & actions and make sure that "Get notifications from apps and other senders" is turned on. For some reason this was turned off on my system. After turning on I started getting the message that it was safe to remove my USB key.

Edited by DinGo
better spacing