Why when installing ESET IS it changes TCPACKFREQ

In windows there is a registry in TCP/IP   that is TCPACKFrequency   and it should be Default 0 or Disabled.  but when installing ESET  it changes the registry to  1 .

It annoying because it makes more packets , lowering my Download speed because it uses more Upload .

I tested it more than 10 times,  on my Desktop and Laptop .  Fresh windows 7 and windows 10 .  and I noticed only when installing eset it happens.  Also when uninstalling and reinstalling I can see that it changed the registry back from 0 or Disabled to 1 after I changed it manually .

1 hour ago, Peter Randziak said:

Hello,

it is probably an automated fix for issues reported and covered by an KB article Slow download speeds while using the HTTP protocol with ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus

Regards, P.R.

Does this still happen ?

Do we need this registry on windows 10 also ? or with ESET 10 version ?

• ESET Moderators

Hello x7007, 

The reason for the change is that Windows will sometimes delay sending TCP ACK (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acknowledgement_(data_networks)) to the point that the active connection would stall. Despite numerous appeals and released fixes the problem was never solved completely. This is only happening with our network drivers installed. We're changing this value to force Windows to send ACKs more often as a workaround. In our measurements this always increased the download speed. If you have different results, we'd like to know about the exact way you tested and what were your results.

The value should be changed only once per network interface. You can view the list of interfaces that were already changed and won't be changed in the future in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESET\Setup\Epfw\OriginalTcpAckFrequencyValues.

Regards, P.R.