NTFS flash drive freeze.

Neochrome

Hello, first post here on the forums. Straight to the problem. Recently I bought a licence for NOD32 Antivirus, as I knew it's amongst the best security solutions for PCs, with minimal resource footprint on the system. Everything works fine and I set it up the way I wanted, it always is a pleasure with all the advanced settings and control given to the user, like it. I also have a flash drive - OCZ Diesel 16GB, it was working without any problems for two years. Wasn't using it much lately, but yesterday I was trying to use it, for the first time with NOD32 installed and it freezed my PC and work with NOD32 for a good 2 minutes before recognizing the flash drive. And it does the same thing everytime I plug flash drive into USB. After some troubleshooting I found out the flash drive somehow interferes with Real-time file system protection, because if I temporarily disable Real-time protection, flash drive works straight away, after plugging it in USB without freezing.

I've also done some other testing, formated the flash drive with different allocation unit sizes and file systems, result was, regardless of allocation unit size, the NTFS file system on the flash drive freezes the PC. Strangely FAT32 formatting works without a problem. I tried my other flash drive - SanDisk Cruzer Blade 8GB, it is formated NTFS and has the Windows 7 installation on it, and it works without the problem after inserting it in USB, no freezes. So I started to think that OCZ Diesel 16GB might be faulty, I tested it on my netbook and more importantly at school on 10 other computers, formated it NTFS, and completely without the problem. This way I pinpointed the NOD32 Antivirus as the source of a problem.

I started to google some solutions, but there is not much about it. There are some reports about older versions of NOD32 having similar problems with flash drives and USB HDDs on Windows XP, freezing the NOD32 or the whole system, but nothing newer and on Windows 7. Can anyone help me or give some insight on this? Thank you.

Jan

I'm not familiar with this issue but if it was happening on my system, the first things I would check would be the 'removable media' & 'device control' settings under Advanced Setup>Computer and try changing a few settings there to see if it helps. The fact that your other flash drive works without issues though makes me think it won't  but no harm trying.

I will say that I experience a sort of temporary system freeze on occasion while using a different product, agnitum outpost. With HIPS all set to prompt, the first time I insert a new device that the computer must install it freezes the pc for up to 30 secs then resumes normally and doesn't happen when the device is reinserted afterward. I've never experienced this with just NOD and if it works while real-time scanning is disabled then it's unlikely it has to do with HIPS but you may want to check that as well.

Hopefully someone else with prior experience or more knowledge on the matter can help you sort it out if none of that helps.

Edited by btm

the first things I would check would be the 'removable media' & 'device control' settings under Advanced Setup>Computer and try changing a few settings there to see if it helps

Yeah, I've done that while testing it before, I tried changing policies of removable devices, Quick removal and Better performance (write caching), both with NTFS and FAT32 file systems, the problem was still present just with OCZ Diesel 16GB flash drive on NTFS while NOD32 Real-time file system protection running. Also I have HIPS disabled permanently by default, so there shouldn't be any problem with that.

Just to make sure, do you have ESET NOD32 Antivirus 7.0.302.26 installed and Device control integration is disabled?

Hmm, this one is interesting, I have updated recently and I even have automatic product update scheduled by myself for two times a week, but I have 7.0.302.0, trying to update manually will just return that 'version 7.0.302.0 is up to date'. And I have Device control integration disabled by default, no need for that.

EDIT: Just browsed this forum and found topic about this 7.0.302.26 ninja update. It was even you stating that 'the only change in 7.0.302.26 compared to 7.0.302.0 is an updated EULA'.

• Administrators

Ok, what matters is that you have v7.0.302.x installed. Please reproduce the issue while creating a Process monitor log. Then create another Procmon log, now with real-time protection disabled when the issue doesn't manifest. When done, compress the logs, upload them to a safe location and pm me the download link.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having exactly the same problem with Sandisk Cruzer 64GB. Was formatted FAT32 and it was fine...since I needed to put 6GB SQL database archive on it, it had to be formatted NTFS. After format - Windows 7 (32bit) explorer was frozen, when I pulled USB stick out it un-froze. Insert it again - frozen. Only when I used ESET NOD32 Antivirus (32-bit) 7.0.302.26 "Temporary disable protection" everything was ok! Enabled protection again - again frozen on USB insert. I tried it on another computer without ESET AV - everything was also ok. So it is, no doubt, problem in ESET.

P.S. "Device control" is unchecked/disabled...I tried all my other USB sticks, some FAT32, some NTFS (but smaller sizes, not 64GB if that matters...) and everything was also ok...it is just this Sandisc Cruzer 64GB (not faulty in any way) that when inserted frozes explorer until removed.   :(  Same on all usb ports...

Edited by Darko

Ah, sorry guys for me not replying last week, I was just too busy with stuff to school and work, I'll try to make the log today or maybe tomorrow. Anyway, I'm gald I'm not alone in this.

Hey i have a 16GB cruzer glide that has been acting funny, so i replaced it with a usb3.0 patriot.

however i went back and did a long format and it seems like its doing ok now, but i havent been using it anymore, for obvious reasons...

Strange

OK, now this one is REALLY strange. I downloaded Process Monitor, started it and pluged my OCZ Diesel 16GB flash drive into USB, to my surprise everything was OK, no freezes and I had an access to the flash drive immediately. I unpugged the flash drive, closed Process Monitor, and plugged flash drive in again, freeze, the problem returned. I couldn't believe running Process Monitor makes the problem disappear. So I unplugged flash drive again and started Process Monitor once more, plugged flash drive, no problem. Now tell me, what is wrong with it?? :) I can still make a LOG if you want it, but I can't reproduce and record problem while running the Process Monitor, the problem just doesn't occur at all.

I try to experiment for a very long time with this particular issue...

From version of Eset Smart Security v5 and Eset Endpoint Security v5, all USB Sticks that is bigger then 8GB in my possession are more frozen then not frozen, on numerous MS Windows 7 64-bit OS based PCs (or some other, I did not test it, except one MSWinXP OS -> look bellow)!

This USB stick problemo is a very long Eset bug, that I notice first time, from the very start with this v5 version of Eset software products (not in v4, but yes in v5), and I think that it is also exist in Eset software products v6 and v7.

I any case, one think is certain, USB sticks that is less then 8GB are connecting normal, but bigger size of USB sticks is very problematic. - You will get sporadic but really positive USB connection on your Windows system, but, actually, on more then 70% of USB connection of yours, it would not be accomplished at all!
In fact, it will slow down your computer greatly, and it will not give you access to your USB Stick data at all - no USB Stick green arrow via Tray/Notification Area, nothing, only the Windows sound for USB Stick connection will inform you about connection is running, but you will not get it at all!  :(
Then I need to force manually USB stick detaching, and, on that way, always risking USB data failure and/or USB failure as a Hardware, and on that bad way of force USB detaching I was burn out completely this year already, a 2 of mine USB sticks that goes directly to garbage!  :(

When you Uninstall Eset v5 software product, USB stick, disregard its GB size, function back again most superbly and connectible, and without any error or frozen Windows system!

And I want to make clear - this is not an isolated case problem all here!
I try 7-8 USB different sticks in this long experiment of mine (some with 4, 8 and 16GB of mem., all that was USB 2.0 sticks, some on FAT32, some on NTFS formatting system), testing performed on more then 10 different real (not virtualized) PCs, all the same Eset USB stick bug story all here!
I also try later all this on WMware Workstation v9 and v10 virtual PCs and same story with Eset USB stick bug also here!
The only relation to all this machines (virtualized or not virtualized/real ones), was MS Win 7 SP1 RTM 64-bit (Up-to-date) OS and Eset Smart Security 5 or Eset Endpoint Security 5 all here, installed for testing purposes only.
Also, the Eset ESS or EES settings for HIPS was ON or OFF, the "Removable media" settings was ON or OFF, the "Device control" was ON or OFF in my experiments..., and nothing was a "bingo" solution for this Eset USB stick bug problemo all here!!!

...Sometimes I notice, that, if my USB stick is not recognized by OS, and, if I left my USB stick connected to PC for a very long time then (an half an hour or more), then force/manually detach it from my PC, and back again phisically connected it most quickly, I immediately get the USB opening window, and then works!  :)
But, this is not the case that is a "Bingo" solution every single time! 
In any case, like I said, on some 30% of USB stick connections, the connection just running really fine and I am happy then like an idiot, but, on some 70% of USB connections, it will give you a headache of this dreadful Eset USB bug connection problemo, make me frustrated as hell!

Also, ESS v4 do not give me this USB Stick problemo at all, and I could not produce this error with ESS v5 and v6 on one experimental MSWinXPSP3 Up-to-date OS all here,

which is acting just fine with any USB stick mem. size.

...My USB sticks are not corrupted (Scandisk), I scan them all (including for Malware (with Eset and Kasperky products), and my USB sticks not giving any error on some other computer that do not have any Eset software products installed at all!

I also try, just every single USB 2.0 and/or 3.0 ports on all of this computer's MBOs, this is not a fix solution also all here!

Finally, I also can helpfully confirm, that any external HDD which I tested (USB 2.0 or eSATA), does not giving any similar problemo as described all here!
So, the problem is existing only with USB sticks that is more then 8GB, and I did not tested USB 3.0 sticks, my all USB sticks are USB 2.0, and I do not have bigger USB stick then 16GB to experiment.

Eset, please fix this, more then a one year long "Eset USB Stick(s) bug problemo"!

Edited by Bron

• ESET Moderators

Hello Bron,

at first we need to know what is happening in the system and what is causing the malfunction.

We are not able to reproduce it here.

Could you please provide Marcos or me with the mentioned Process monitor log capturing events in the system before, during and few moments after connecting the problamatick USB stick?

Please also provide us with exact information about time (s) when the stick was connected.

Thank you for cooperation.

You welcome; This is a mutual problem, and I am glad that I finally said something about all of this, and I am also glad that Eset Forum finally exist (not so long ago Wilders Security Forum was a major all here...), and in the same time, it is also a great staff that Eset Forum has an SSL protection:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=forum.eset.com

Thank You for all of that!

-----------------------------------------------

This weekend or next week, I need to install from the scratch one Acer laptop with MSWin7UltSP1_64-bit OS clean install, and with the just bought/extended Eset Smart Security licence for it, I will install on that laptop Eset Smart Security software, and then play with all this once more... Then It will be best to post You what is needed.

Till then, best regards!

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem, my computer is able to recognize my SanDisk USB but it can't read it. When I disable eset protection and insert it to my pc everything is fine. So is there a fix for this problem instead of disabling protection every time?  

I have the same problem, my computer is able to recognize my SanDisk USB but it can't read it. When I disable eset protection and insert it to my pc everything is fine. So is there a fix for this problem instead of disabling protection every time?

Hardware Integration should fix your issues.

From the main GUI , hit F5 to bring up advanced menu.

Find Device control. Enable Integration then click Configure Rules.

Click the Add, and enter your Disk Storage SanDisk, and give Read/Write permissions under your user account.

This may solve your problems going forward without having to disable protection.

Edited by Arakasi

I did it on this way but still having the problem:

hxxp://i.imgur.com/uzerKBJ.jpg

BTW when I open  Process monitor app and insert my USB to PC it is able to recognize it without any problem every time. But closing that app and inserting the USB will bring the problem.

Edited by 7abib0

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I experienced exactly the same issue after renewing my licence by downloading Eset Nod32 ver 7 (former version on my computer was ver 4). My external hard hard drive unit is not recognized and causes my computer to freeze with no alternative but switching it off. Since I don't find any solution, I uninstalled ver 7 and installed ver 4 again. Since then, everything works fine.

Hello,

I experienced exactly the same issue after renewing my licence by downloading Eset Nod32 ver 7 (former version on my computer was ver 4). My external hard hard drive unit is not recognized and causes my computer to freeze with no alternative but switching it off. Since I don't find any solution, I uninstalled ver 7 and installed ver 4 again. Since then, everything works fine.

Still the same issue with me using the new v7. I upgraded from v4 and never had an issue. I may have to dump version 7 and go back to v4 or find a different AV app since this issue continues now for over a year with no real solution.

• 3 months later...

really ? this hasn't been fixed . I'm still fighting with my USB stick EVERYTIME. what do you need me to post so you can look into this, like everyone else, USB stick will not read when "Real-time protection" is on but when you unplug the USB turn it off and bingo works first time. 

• Administrators

really ? this hasn't been fixed . I'm still fighting with my USB stick EVERYTIME. what do you need me to post so you can look into this, like everyone else, USB stick will not read when "Real-time protection" is on but when you unplug the USB turn it off and bingo works first time. 

We'd need to get 2 Process Monitor logs; one from the moment you plug in the USB stick and the issue occurs (ie. with real-time protection enabled) and the other log created with real-time protection disabled when everything works. Also try disabling the "Removable media access" box in the real-time protection setup to see if it makes a difference. 

• 1 month later...

Just disable USB auto scanning. Its that easy. That removes the pop up. If you want to scan it just open up Eset and click scan media drive. Also ANY usb drive should be immunized. Panda has a free download to do this. Click advanced set up and uncheck removable drive scan. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I had a similar problem using ESET NOD Antivirus Ver. 4, but I also found a (relatively) easy SOLUTION. Every time when I attached an external hard drive to the USB port, the system froze without any other alternative as switching it off. (Let's remark here that I'm using this version of ESET Antivirus on 5 different computers, and only one single computer was involved in this error, and that the issue happened with three different hard disks.) The solution of the problem was to temporarily disable antivirus functions (including real-time file system protection and antispyware protection), then plug in the hard disk into the USB port, wait until the drive has been set up and the files can be read, and then enable the antivirus functions again. Although it is annoying to do this every time, but it is quicker than performing exhaustive diagnostics to find out and fix the issue.

By the way, the external hard drive also may work if it is attached already when the computer is turned on (i.e., the virus protection is activated later than the recognition of the drive occurs).

Hello,

I had a similar problem using ESET NOD Antivirus Ver. 4, but I also found a (relatively) easy SOLUTION. Every time when I attached an external hard drive to the USB port, the system froze without any other alternative as switching it off. (Let's remark here that I'm using this version of ESET Antivirus on 5 different computers, and only one single computer was involved in this error, and that the issue happened with three different hard disks.) The solution of the problem was to temporarily disable antivirus functions (including real-time file system protection and antispyware protection), then plug in the hard disk into the USB port, wait until the drive has been set up and the files can be read, and then enable the antivirus functions again. Although it is annoying to do this every time, but it is quicker than performing exhaustive diagnostics to find out and fix the issue.

By the way, the external hard drive also may work if it is attached already when the computer is turned on (i.e., the virus protection is activated later than the recognition of the drive occurs).

Performing the steps you have stated is actually a very bad idea. Do not disable your AV just to plug in your external hard drive.

Chances are you are having issues due to device control, and you need to create a rule to allow USB storage. (This is only a speculation and i would not know without viewing the settings of ESET).

Version 4 is WAY way way behind in protection and product improvements and i would implore anyone still on it to , GET OFF and upgrade to the latest version 7, which would probably fix the issue in question anyway.

A good practice if one uses and old(er) version of a software and you have a problem, try a newer version to see if you experience the same problem in the newer version too (if yes then report it) as vendors usually don't spend time fixing problems in older versions.

An example with ESET I could easily download V3 and use it since it still get VSD updates, but if I would have problems with it then it wouldn't be worth to report it as "the problem" has probably been reported before and was fixed in later builds and versions. So the recommendation would probably be to upgrade to V4 as the problem is fixed in that version.

ESET is not forcing anyone to upgrade so if you don't want to upgrade to V7 then at least take one step up to V5, no luck, then V6, if still no luck, then V7 it is.  

Personally I would upgrade straight to V7 :)

Edited by SweX