I am running OFFICE Pro (includes Outlook) 2007 on 3 computers.  I heard MS was going to quit supporting Office 2007 in Oct.  Some people tell me don't worry - just continue using Office 2007.  2 of my PCs have W-7 operating systems - i believe i can control MS patches, etc with W-7.  However, on W-10, i cannot control MS updates.  I am suspecting they might even send something to STOP Office 2007 from operating correctly.  BOTTOM LINE - am i ok to continue using Office 2007, & just depend on my Eset software to protect me??  I understand this is a "funny" question - input appreciated. :)

• Most Valued Members

Hi Jems,

MS have just stated that support will end for it, the product will still work as it currently does in the future but will just not receive any further updates. If you set up outlook/office so it does not "Auto" open any attachments or "Auto" download images, or "Auto" run macro's across your office suite your ESET product should keep you well protected. But if any vulnerabilities found in office 2007 are not patched in the future it could lead to your system being compromised.

Vulnerability's are completely different to malware or viruses.

• Most Valued Members
17 hours ago, cyberhash said:

Hi Jems,

MS have just stated that support will end for it, the product will still work as it currently does in the future but will just not receive any further updates. If you set up outlook/office so it does not "Auto" open any attachments or "Auto" download images, or "Auto" run macro's across your office suite your ESET product should keep you well protected. But if any vulnerabilities found in office 2007 are not patched in the future it could lead to your system being compromised.

Vulnerability's are completely different to malware or viruses.

Yeah exactly what cyberhash said. A lot of people often prefer older versions for particular software, operating systems etc. However they often forget the fact that once unsupported they can put you at risk with unpatched vulnerabilities. Security programs can help but there's always a risk there.

Best example in my opinion is those who still use XP. Its so outdated and has vulnerabilities. You can still get security products that work officially/unofficially for xp but running them is similar to having a secure prison but with a whole in the fence