Multiple random update errors - disabling firewall fixes it

BDeep

• ESET Insiders

Running ESET Endpoint Security 6.5.2107.1 (and 2094.0) we've had multiple update errors. We've disabled the ESET Endpoint Security firewall and the updates download and apply without issue. Any ideas?

• Administrators

Please elaborate more on what update errors you've been getting. If possible, post a screen shot as well.

Do you use firewall in automatic mode without any custom rules?

• ESET Insiders

In the update module, error 0x1606, 0x3FFF, Compile Error, "Undocumented Serious Error", "Error Allocating Memory". The Firewall is in automatic mode without any custom rules (I duplicated the built in policy for troubleshooting).

I don't have screenshots (we've submitted everything under ticket #[BDeep removed] over the last few months but communications have been slow).

Update: removed ticket number. Also, got off the phone with ESET. Was asked to let you know I'm working under a GPC ticket. PM me for more info if you need.

Edited by BDeep

• Administrators

The problem allocating memory may occur if you run on-demand scans with logging of all scanned objects enabled. In such case, it generates large logs which also fragments memory to such an extent that the largest free memory block may not suffice for compiling updates. Could you confirm or deny that you have scanning of all scanned files enabled? If so, disable it and restart the computer.

You can also collect logs with ELC and drop me a pm with the generated archive attached so that I can review your configuration and check logs.

• ESET Insiders

No, that was a recommendation on another post I made about a month ago and that option was (and is) not enabled. Also, I've exported my policies (I guess you can get them?) under the GPC ticket (or PM me). It is definitely the firewall module killing the update.