Windows 8.1 and ESET creates App Hang Events

Lukas

Hi,

I'm reading release notes for ESET Endpoint Antivirus 5.0.2214 ( hxxp://www.eset.co.uk/Download/ChangeLog/EAVB ). There is a statement about Windows 8 compatibility. But because of release date 30/04/2013 it's quite evident that i does not support Windows 8.1 (I have read forum posts about NOD32 issues in v5,v6 and v7 beta).

Can you confirm bugs in ESET Endpoint Antivirus 5.0.2214 regarding Windows 8.1?

DETAILS ABOUT THE PROBLEM

Windows Event report (in Czech language from Windows 8.1 CZ) with the type of Application Hang:

ID procesu: 184c

Čas spuštění: 01cece41b7939f5e

Čas ukončení: 4294967295

Cesta k aplikaci: C:\Program Files\PLSQLDev\plsqldev.exe

ID hlášení: 32874601-3add-11e3-beb2-

Úplný název chybujícího balíčku:

ID aplikace související s chybujícím balíčkem:

Název události: AppHangB1

The problematic applications consists of javaw.exe (webstart), plsqldev.exe (PLSQL Developer) and also various desktop applications using JRE7 (1.7.0_45 and also older versions). Windows 8 worked ok, those problems raised after updating to Windows 8.1.

It seems that ESET is blocking network communication and those applications will hang when waiting for a reply from server. We have got several reports from several users, who did an upgrade from W8.0 to W8.1. When we disabled ESET, it started to work properly. I have also wrote on Microsoft Community and Oracle Forums, but it seems that the problem is in your application.

• Administrators

Did you update ESET Endpoint Antivirus and restarted the computer after installing it on Windows 8.1 ? Disabling which of the protection module make a difference?

ESET Endpoint Antivirus version: 5.0.2214.5. HIPS is ok and enabled. The network problems disappeared after disabling: Resident Shield and Web filter. Everything (including Windows Update) looks fresh and up to date. It occured on several models of HP laptops. It has a HP Assistant feature, which downloads additional updates for HP drivers, so everything should be ok there. I tried also disabling other network interfaces (switching from WiFi to Ethernet) and disabling IPv6.

The computer was restarted several times. We are solving this issue for about a week. Here is my thread on Microsoft Community: hxxp://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/windows-event-log-is-full-of-application-hang/160caa50-bff9-41bc-ad9e-ae8f9bbd6df3

If you need some details from ESET Server admin or detailed module versions, I can give you that.

BUMP :-) ...This problem is still not solved. All people had to go back with a clean install of Windows 8.0. People who has Windows 8.1 and latest updates are still experiencing those app hang events.

• Administrators

ESET's products support Windows 8.1; support was added some time ago by updating the HIPS and Anti-Stealth modules. You wrote that "The network problems disappeared after disabling: Resident Shield and Web filter". By web filter, do you mean disabling web protection via gui or protocol / http filtering in the advanced setup?