Overlap during move to new PC

mrvivona

I am changing out my XP (32-bit) desktop PC to a new Windows 7 (64-bit) PC. I currently have a licensed copy of NOD32 Antivirus on the XP machine that I want to transfer to the new PC.

I know I can just install NOD32 AV on the new PC and uninstall it from the old PC, but system transfers aren't typically immediate. I expect to keep the old PC active for at least a month as I transfer data, software and hardware from it. Shouldn't I be able to simply accomplish this by installing the NOD32 AV 7 (Win-7 64-bit) Trial on the new Windows 7 PC and when my 30 days are almost up, uninstall NOD32 AV from my old PC and then activate the licence on my new PC? Any reason I shouldn't do this?

I am changing out my XP (32-bit) desktop PC to a new Windows 7 (64-bit) PC. I currently have a licensed copy of NOD32 Antivirus on the XP machine that I want to transfer to the new PC.

I know I can just install NOD32 AV on the new PC and uninstall it from the old PC, but system transfers aren't typically immediate. I expect to keep the old PC active for at least a month as I transfer data, software and hardware from it. Shouldn't I be able to simply accomplish this by installing the NOD32 AV 7 (Win-7 64-bit) Trial on the new Windows 7 PC and when my 30 days are almost up, uninstall NOD32 AV from my old PC and then activate the licence on my new PC? Any reason I shouldn't do this?

Yes indeed the bold part will work great as far as I know. You shouldn't encounter any issues doing it that way.  :)

Thanks for your prompt replies.

To keep from being exposed while downloading the initial virus definition database, is there a way I can download them first to my old PC, then transfer them to the new PC before I connect it to the Internet? The new Dell PC comes with McAfee, but I intend to uninstall it before installing NOD32 AV on it.

Thanks for your prompt replies.

To keep from being exposed while downloading the initial virus definition database, is there a way I can download them first to my old PC, then transfer them to the new PC before I connect it to the Internet? The new Dell PC comes with McAfee, but I intend to uninstall it before installing NOD32 AV on it.

No afaik that's not possible with the Home products (if you mean the VSD database). But nothing should be able to get in during that short period anyway I figure.

But you can of course download the offline NOD32 installer to the PC.

I hope I understood you're question correctly  :)

Yes, I was referring to the Virus Signature Database. I do plan on downloading and using the offline installer. Does it already contain a VSD database?

Yes, I was referring to the Virus Signature Database. I do plan on downloading and using the offline installer. Does it already contain a VSD database?

I see.  Yes the offline installer does contain the database but it will be somewhat outdated as it will be from the date when the installer was published. But that doesn't matter at all, because it will get updated automatically at the end of the installation.

I used it myself couple weeks ago. And it worked great as usual.

So I guess what you would like to do is this.

1. download the offline NOD32 installer and let it sit on the desktop. 

2. uninstall McAfee.

3. run the NOD32 offline installer to install NOD32.

By the way, you find the offline installer here: hxxp://www.eset.com/us/download/home/detail/family/2/?trl=ea#offline

Also, if you know "how to", then you could look for leftovers after that you have uninstalled McAfee before installing NOD32, like folders, or drivers that may be left active. But if you have never done this before then just run the uninstaller. :)

Thanks for the help. It's good to know that the offline installer contains a database.

When I get a new PC, I always uninstall all the pre-installed crapware and related leftover folders, drivers, files and registry entries. I wish the PC makers would make the inclusion of the crapware optional, but they probably get a royalty for each machine shipped out with it, so that's not going to happen. I considered making my own PC, but Dell sells them cheaper than a DIY equivalent and you get one year of service in case a component goes bad. You also get some slight assurance that the system was properly integrated so there should be no component incompatibilities. Anyway, I digress...

Yes more on them than you need and I assume the c-rap is included on the "restore cds" too if you get any together with the PC. But what c-rap you get and how much also differs from vendor to vendor.

The "restore cds" have gotten worse over the years, and yes it is as you say.....there's money involved.

My "restore cd" from 2003 has nothing else but the necessary stuff like the OS of course and drivers for the graph card etc etc... the only programs that comes with it is Power DVD that one can use to watch DVD, and Sonic RecordNow! to burn CDs. 

But yeah these days you get more than just the necessary stuff on them. :)

Edited by SweX