Banking and Payment Protection Issue

Hello,

I am in the process of looking for a new security product and decided to revisit Eset Internet Security. I installed the trial version and most components seem to be working well, but the one component that made me decide to use Eset vs the others is the Banking and Payment Protection module. 

After installing the trial, rebooting, updating and letting it do the initial scan, I wanted to try the Banking and Payment mode. When clicking on the Banking and Payment Protection icon on the main interface, the cursor shows the hourglass and then nothing. No windows or browsers open. I then added my banks website https://www.desjardins.com/ca/ to the protected websites as secured browser, and nothing happens in Chrome, Firefox, Edge when visiting the website. 

In Internet Explorer, I get the message "Opening secured browser" and then after a minute or so I get an error "Protected Browser could not be started. Associated error code: 0x847695d2", and asks if I want to continue unsecured. 

Windows 10 Creators Update  (x64)

Chrome v59 (x64)

Firefox v54.01 (x64)

Other security applications that are installed are:

Hitman Pro Alert 3.7 CT4 

VoodooShield 3.59

Malwarebytes 3.1 (On demand only)

Note that I did uninstall the other security applications, rebooted and retried before posting, but I am now at a loss.

Thanks

• Administrators

What happens if you switch to pre-release updates in the advanced update setup and then try to open the website in Firefox?

Hi Marcos,

I activated the pre-release updates, downloaded the updates, rebooted and went to to the website in Firefox and Chrome and just got to the main page of the bank. No secured browser warning or anything, only in Internet Explorer does it ask to switch to secured browser but then fails. 

15 minutes ago, foneil said:

Can you doublecheck that Hitman Pro Alert is really uninstalled (no traces left)? 

hxxp://support.eset.com/kb6063/

Hi, thanks for the help. 

I had seen that support page and did what was described, although I did uninstall Malwarebytes, VoodooShield and Hitman Pro Alert, and rebooted. This time I rebooted twice and did a search of the registry and deleted some keys that remained from the mentioned programs, don't know if the rebooting twice or registry deleting that did the trick, but I was able to get it to work with Internet Explorer and Firefox (Chrome was a no-go).

Unfortunately, Hitman Pro Alert is a must have on my systems as I have paid for it and really trust it. I will trial the rest of Eset Internet Security and if all is fine, I may stay with it and purchase a licence.

Thanks for the help.

I have usually seen this happen when you have a another program that is encrypting keystrokes alongside ESET. Check browsers for add-ons. One of the popular installed programs is Trusteer Rapport. if still having same issue I would recommend uninstall and removal of all remnants in registry before another install. 

22 hours ago, MikeGiann said:

Note that I did uninstall the other security applications, rebooted and retried before posting, but I am now at a loss.

Note that a reboot in Win 10 does not fully reinitialize like a shutdown does. You have to shutdown to completely clear all uninstalled software traces.

Try whitelisting this Eset process, C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\eOPPFrame.exe, in both VoodooShield and HitmanPro Alert and see if that clears up the issue.

I did verify the browser's add-ons and I do not think I have any that are encrypting keystrokes, HTTPS Everywhere, LastPass, Privacy Badger, uBlock Origin, Xmarks Bookmark Sync and the ones that come with installing Google Drive.

I did try white-listing the process C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\eOPPFram.exe but still a no-go for any browser. I disabled every option in the Risk Reduction and  Exploit Mitigation section of Hitman Pro Alert and still does not work, neither after reboot or after a shutdown. 

The only way I was able to get it to work for Firefox and Internet Explorer is to completely uninstall Hitman Pro Alert.

There is a discussion of the HMP-A and Eset OPP issue starting here: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/hitmanpro-alert-support-and-discussion-thread.324841/page-448#post-2615006 which I should have checked first.

As confirmed by the HMP-A developer, Eset OPP is incompatible with it. Your only solution would be to temporarily disable HMP-A if that is possible, then manually open an Eset OPP session. When done with the OPP session, then re-enable HMP-A.

Also, Eset Smart Security has its own exploit protection and it is never a good idea to run two exploit blockers at the same time.

Edited by itman

Thanks itman, just what I thought , it's a one or the other type issue. I will continue to trial Eset Internet Security and decide in a couple of weeks if it stays. For the most part, it is light on my system and from what I've read, the protection is top notch.