Error running ESET SysRescue Live CD/USB creator

Trying to create a USB rescue drive.  Followed instructions for "Create a rescue USB or CD/DVD" from the ESET KB after downloading ESET SysRescue Live CD/USB creator.  Also after a chat with an ESET tech, downloaded "eset-sysrescue.1.0.9.0.enu.iso" and used PowerISO to try to create a rescue drive.  The result in both cases was the message "ESET SysRescue failed to create".  There was also a message from MS Windows "You need to format the disk in drive D: before you can use it."  I did format the drive, and repeated both methods described above to create a rescue disk, but received the same error message "ESET SysRescue failed to create".  Attached is a screen shot of the ESET error message, the Windows formatting message, and the Disk Manager view of my USB drive.  The system is Windows 10.  Please advise how to create a rescue USB drive.

20170404-ESET Rescue USB Error Messages.zip

• Administrators

Please wait for a new version of SysRescue which should be released soon. I would strongly recommend using the ESET SysRescue Creator instead of 3rd party tools.

• 3 weeks later...

Downloaded new SYSRESCUE USB creator today and I also get "ESET SYSRESCUE failed to create"

When the program runs and finishes It also ask to REFORMAT the USB ????

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same issue using a USB drive on a Dell XPS running Win10 Pro.  I am using version 1.0.14.0 of the creator.  I've tried a couple of ScanDisk 16GB drives.  I tried downloading the ISO separately.  It always gets to the end and fails.  Help please.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2017 at 0:33 PM, Marcos said:

Please wait for a new version of SysRescue which should be released soon. I would strongly recommend using the ESET SysRescue Creator instead of 3rd party tools.

When??

• 5 weeks later...

So confused.

1. ESET Technical Support North America when asked about the "failed to create" message suggests I should ask in the Forum. Technical Support tells me this? Really?
  2. July 7th we're told "...wait for the update..." It's now Oct 11, will it be in our lifetime? 
  3. We're told "I would strongly recommend using the ESET SysRescue Creator instead of 3rd party tools." Is this recommendation for the item which doesn't work, and which we're told to wait for the update that doesn't seem to be forthcoming??

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the newest version. Still fails.  I also tried making this withing linux.  No matter what I try, it either fails or if it does make a usb, it doesn't make it bootable.  

I had this issue with windows from withing linux, but at least withing windows I could create a good USB.  with ESET, it will not recognize it as bootable. 

Is this image supposed to be a hybrid ISO or a standard ISO?  

Do I have to use a complicated procedure to make a usable live usb or will DD in linux work? What about Rufus in Windows?

There is something wrong with your media creator, it does not correctly create the bootable USB.

PS: and your error given is useless.  It obviously failed to create.  But give us some REASON why it failed, could it not even start formatting the usb?  Is it a partition issue? Is windows blocking the action?  WHAT???

Edited by BillW
Added a PS.

5 hours ago, Aryeh Goretsky said:

I believe it is a Hybrid ISO image.

Ah...and how exactly to put an ISO hybrid image on a USB thumb drive Aryeh?

Thank you

Thanks for the quick followup.  I finally resolved the issue.  The issue seems to be that the media creator can't access the internet to download the ISO.  While I read the instructions, it doesn't seem to inform, at least not obviously, the user that you really should download the ISO yourself.  If the media creation tool can access the internet to download, by design, then the failure is in that situation.  My router should not have had a problem letting the iso go through.  

I used DD and the media rescue tool to create the LiveUSB, I had trouble with the DD, but I have had trouble with using hybrid ISO's to make a usb stick with the image before, it seems to recognize it as a hybrid, so I think you are right, it is a hybrid. 

WITH the ISO on hand, (please update the instructions if the ISO is supposed to be downloaded before or fix the media creation tool to download it itself if it is supposed to be able to do that), the media creation tool created a good LiveUSB stick.  I will try DD again later tonight to make sure that DD can or can't do this.  

I do have a followup question.  One of the computers I have to check is on a wireless connection. It is a desktop and I am using an ASUS wifi pcie card for this. How can I update the image to include the drivers for this card? or is there a way to have a generic wifi driver on the ISO so it can work with most of these wifi setups?  Failing that, can I update the scanner with an offline updated virus signiture file? 

I realize that ESET sysrescue is more effective if it can connect to the internet, but I am unable to provide an ethernet connection, I can only give it a WiFi connection with this particular computer. 

Thanks again for the quick answer.

To answer the question of another user, hybrid images can be burned in *nix OS's to a thumb drive without having to go through the extra steps to make it a bootable stick.  It can be written using DD but in Windows you just have to either use some third party usb stick creation tool, exactly like you would with a regular ISO or the provided media creation tool.  For windows there is no difference between the too, at least I don't think there is at this time.  That might change if/when Microsoft desides to do such a change. 

In windows, with my resent experience, just use the media creation tool with the ISO already downloaded on your computer.  That seems to be the easiest way. 

Edited by BillW
Edited for readability.

I'm getting the same results with multiple flash drives. Grabbed the .exe from https://www.eset.com/int/support/sysrescue/#download

As far as I can tell, it's v.1.0.14.0

After downloading the ISO, I selected the "use a previously downloaded ISO file" option and got the same results. (I'm attaching the hashes for the ISO file on the off chance that it got corrupted during download)

Does this creator leave more detailed logs anywhere that might point us in the right direction?

eset hashes.PNG

11 hours ago, BillW said:

One of the computers I have to check is on a wireless connection. It is a desktop and I am using an ASUS wifi pcie card for this. How can I update the image to include the drivers for this card? or is there a way to have a generic wifi driver on the ISO so it can work with most of these wifi setups?  Failing that, can I update the scanner with an offline updated virus signiture file? 

I realize that ESET sysrescue is more effective if it can connect to the internet, but I am unable to provide an ethernet connection, I can only give it a WiFi connection with this particular computer.

Did you ever get an answer Bill? I too can't use an Ethernet connection and use an ASUS USB-AC56 Wireless adapter exclusively.

What a can of worms!

it has only been 13 hours.  I don't expect an answer until monday (they originated in slovakia), or should I say my sunday night. having said that I am also waiting anxiously )))

another issue.  My Acer e5-574g will not even recognize the usb with sysrecue on it.  All this so called secure boot stuff is driving me nuts.  They have tightened down the whole thing so much, in favor of Windows, that I am unable to use the ESET sysrescue on it.  I do NOT trust windows enough to believe ANY virus checker running IN it.  Is there some magic that I can use to run sysrecue on this laptop? 

PS: I believe the usb stick has to be GPT for UEFI AND fat32 or the boot menu will not even recognize the USB Stick. I am not sure of that, but I believe those are two of its needed parameters.  Why they would do something like that, I do not know, it doesn't seem very safe in my opinion, or useful to limit it to fat32.  Smells like Redmond limiting the usability of any liveusb distro to me. 

Edited by BillW
Added PS

• 1 month later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello,

Version 1.0.15.0 was released a while ago, but I just noticed you had a question about UEFI and FAT32, which I'll try to explain:  In a nutshell, the UEFI forum needed to select a file system for use by the EFI partition on the disk where additional files are stored (unlike BIOS, not all of the firmware has to be stored on an EEPROM; parts of it can reside on disk as well).  Microsoft granted rights to the FAT32 file system for the purpose of developing and implementing EFI. 

I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing, though.  FAT32 support is widely-understood in the industry and would be much easier to implement.  Microsoft isn't the only UEFI Forum Promoter (the top level of membership) who has its own filesystem.  For example, Apple has HFS, HFS+ and APFS, and IBM has HPFS, JFS, zFS (just to name a few), however all of these are more complex than FAT32 and would require far more work to implement.  And that doesn't begin to account for testing, troubleshooting, system overhead, etc.  It's relatively easy to repair a FAT32 partition if it is corrupt.  And then there's licensing, which Microsoft was probably more than willing to provide on a royalty-free basis to the UEFI Forum.

Anyways, that's my guess as to why FAT32 was selected.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky