Eset causes problems with ArmA 2/3 !

Hi.

Since I did the upgrade from Version 6 to 7, I encountered stuttering and laggs in Arma 2 and 3 (only in multiplayer!). My first thought was, that Windows 8.1 causes these problems, but both games run perfectly on a fresh 8.1 installation.

Today i've noticed that Eset's Advanced Memory Scanner, which is part of the HIPS, causes the game to stutter. By deactivating it, both ArmA 2 and ArmA 3 run fine.

I found this Video on Youtube just to give you an idea on what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd9NEYOVqwM

with best regards,

marvellous. (wondering when it will be fixed)

Edited by marvellous

Hi marvellous,

I'm also playing some heavy ressource-demanding games once in awhile and use ESET v.6.

What you are telling proves that ESET just works fine! Your game dynamically produces some files (grafic, textures, temporary files) which ESET scans in real time. That of course has the consequence of slowing down your framerate.

This would be true for ALL such games with heavy ressources.

This is treated in the ESET KB. Essentially, a good method is that you must set ESET to only scan real-time for exucutable files. Do this when playing such games and revert afterwards.

XenonS

Gamer mode may help as well hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3330

Turning off a few settings like real time protection in ESET will help you while you play your games, this is true. Be sure you are safe in that game you play if it is online, as you will be turning off a crucial part of ESET's program that protects you.

Hi marvellous,

I'm also playing some heavy ressource-demanding games once in awhile and use ESET v.6.

What you are telling proves that ESET just works fine! Your game dynamically produces some files (grafic, textures, temporary files) which ESET scans in real time. That of course has the consequence of slowing down your framerate.

This would be true for ALL such games with heavy ressources.

FWIW ESET is still scanning in realtime even if he disables AMS (advanced memory scanner) wich only scans in the memory afaik.

And if disabling AMS indeed makes a difference, then that's all he need to do. Though AMS  shouldn't really create issues like this while playing I think. But let's wait for an official ESET reply to see if there is a better workaround than disabling features.

Edited by SweX

Here is an appropriate extract from my personal notes about ESET v. 6 and this topic:

Using Gamer Mode

ESET usually consumes very little ressources compared to other security suites. The default setting for the Gamer Mode is set that it enables as soon as a game or application goes in Fullscreen. This will temporary disable scheduled task and pop-up windows. This is enough most of the time for "normal" games that do not require extensive ressources. If you play a heavy ressource demanding game with advanced grafics and memory requirements, then take these additional steps (from ESET Knowlegebase):

a) Scan only executable files

By default, your ESET security product scans a file whenever it is created or accessed. This is fine for typical computing conditions, but can cause significant performance issues for for games that constantly load sound files, textures and models. For this reason, configuring your ESET security product to scan only files containing executable code allows you to maximize your gaming performance with minimal risk.

b) Adding protocol filtering exclusions for gaming

Your ESET security product automatically detects programs like web browsers and email clients and scans them using the ESET kernel service (ekrn.exe) as an internal proxy server. This is fine for typical computing conditions, but can cause performance issues and loss of Internet connectivity in gaming-related applications that use network features, such as peer-to-peer services and update utilities.

Note:
A much more radical method is to disable the "Real-time File System Protection", but this is UNSAFE when online as threats could not be identified immediately. Do this only if you go offline!

I hope this helps you,

XenonS

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

If you turn on Pre-release updates to download the latest modules available for testing and then exclude the ArmA 2/3 directories/files from being scanned, does this then make any difference in the speed of the game for you?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am getting the same issues with Arma 2 and Arma 3, ever since I installed ESET/nod32 on my System. Constant stuttering and fluctuation with my FPS, even when I am standing stil, or just moving the camera view.

I have tried multiple things and the problems still stands. I reinstalled the Game, defragged HDD's, Stopped my over clock on my CPU and GPU. Also I can confirm, enabling Gamer Mode on ESET does not help the problem.

I will try disabling AMS, when I get home. I will update my post if the problem is fixed. (God I hope the problem will be fixed)

• 1 month later...