Cannot Update Database

Tresclub

I recently installed the latest version of Antivirus 7, and it worked fine for about a week.  Now, I'm getting an error message when I try to update the database. 

Virus signature database update ended with an error

Undocumented serious error (0x1106)

I checked my internet connection and it is fine.  ???

Warren

I started having this issue today as well . It runs all the way up to the end of the update , then stops with this error.

I am also seeing the Eset Service take up huge amounts of ram . I wonder if there is a major memory leak ?

post-1845-0-23801800-1382724325_thumb.jpg

Edited by gooberbear

I recently installed the latest version of Antivirus 7, and it worked fine for about a week.  Now, I'm getting an error message when I try to update the database. 

Virus signature database update ended with an error

Undocumented serious error (0x1106)

I checked my internet connection and it is fine.  ???

Warren

Try clearing your update cache as stated here : hxxp://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN537

I would try reinstalling ESET if your issues persist after trying the aformentioned suggestion.

@gooberbear,

Yeah memory leak or not, all I can say is that, that memory usage is not anywhere near the normal amount that the ESET process should be using. It's using around 1,3GB if I read it correctly wich is around 12 times more than it should be  :huh:

Maybe (hopefully) ESET will request you to make some logs about it so they can take a look.

Your welcome Tresclub/Warren.

Glad your back in action ! ;)

.... Swex i have a feeling his update cache was filling up the memory or possibly when it got messed up, it continually started to create update commands to compensate or repair itself which caused the increase in RAM usage.

Just a theory though.

Edited by Arakasi

.... Swex i have a feeling his update cache was filling up the memory or possibly when it got messed up, it continually started to create update commands to compensate or repair itself which caused the increase in RAM usage.

Just a theory though.

Hmm I see. It's just that I thought about what would happen with a PC that only got 512MB to begin with...not that I know of anyone having that little these days  :rolleyes:

Just a theory though.

Hmm I see. It's just that I thought about what would happen with a PC that only got 512MB to begin with...not that I know of anyone having that little these days  :rolleyes:

Haha, I can't think of anyone at the current moment. :unsure:

Edited by Arakasi

• Administrators

I am also seeing the Eset Service take up huge amounts of ram . I wonder if there is a major memory leak ?

Please create a dump of ekrn.exe via the Task manager. Select ekrn.exe and then click the "Create dump file" button.

Compress the dump, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link.

• 9 months later...

Check the update status of your ESET product after each step by opening the main program window and clicking Update icon-rarr_10x9.png Update virus signature database. If the update works, you do not need to proceed with further steps:

1. Re-enter your Username and Password
  2. Verify that your license has not expired

3. A previous update may have been corrupted which can cause new updates to not download: Clear the update cache then delete update files.

4. If you had a previous antivirus program installed on your computer (such as AVG, Kaspersky, McAfee, Norton or others), ensure that they are completely removed using our common antivirus software removal tools article.

5. If you are using a third-party firewall (such as Norton Personal Firewall, ZoneAlarm, Outpost, Kerio, or others), ensure that these are allowing your ESET product to connect to the Internet to receive updates. If you are using the built-in ESET Smart Security firewall, disregard this step.

6. Configure your Proxy settings:
    1. From the main program window, press F5 to display the Advanced setup window, click Update and then click Advanced Update setup.  

SOLN2206FIG1-1.png

Figure 1-1

2. Click the HTTP Proxy tab. If you are not using a proxy (using a proxy server is not common) select the Do not use proxy server option. Click OK to confirm settings.  

SOLN2206FIG1-2.png

Figure 1-2

7. Select the correct update server: From the main program window, press F5 to display the Advanced setup window. From the Advanced setup tree, click Update and make sure that Choose Automatically is selected from the Update Server drop-down menu.

8. Test communications with our update server by following steps a through e:

ping.png

Figure 1-3

• From your desktop, click Start icon-rarr_10x9.png Run. The Run window appears.

• Type cmd in the text field and click OK.

• Enter the following text at the prompt: "ping update.eset.com".

• Press ENTER.
    • If you are able to connect to the update server, you will see Reply from... message followed by the IP address of the server you are trying to reach.

If you still do not receive replies, it is likely that a firewall is preventing communication with ESET servers, or your Internet connection is not active. Open your browser and check your connectivity. If you are able to browse websites, either there is software on your computer blocking the virus signature updates or your service provider is using a firewall on the connection, which could also block the update process.