Create policies for eset v5 with era v6

• Administrators

Yes, it's possible. However, once you have moved to ERA v6 I don't see any reason not to upgrade to Endpoint v6 on clients and get better protection.

• ESET Staff

Yes, this is possible. You need to install ERA agent next to your Endpoint 5 application.

Then, you need to use "ESET Endpoint for Windows" policy entry. Settings are in the V6 design, however all of the applicable settings will be converted to the format that is consumed by the V5 application.

However, once you have ERA Agent on the machine, we strongly advise you to upgrade the Endpoints to 6.5, as they provide increased level of protection against recent threats, like the recent WannCry, or Petya ransomware.

To be honest, I dislike v6 GUI (and Windows 8.1/10 Modern/Metro/Minimalistic GUI) :) But I'm still going to upgrade every computer in my company to v6, right now they have every version from v3 to v6 (nobody ever thought about upgrading them).

I'm asking about managing v5 because right now I'm testing era v6 and created installer with v5 endpoint security and even when I chose a policy to be included with it, it seems it is ignored and I had to setup everything manually on client.

• ESET Staff

Officially creating installer with ERA Agent and Endpoint 5 is not supported (Endpoint 5 should not be offered to you by default). That might be the problem you are having, why it is not applied. I would recommend to assign the selected policy to the client / group, where the client is and check, if the values are configured.

Concerning the modern UI, that´s truly about personal preference. We do have users that are liking it, some that are neutral, and some that do not like it. We can´t fit to everyone taste in this matter, however it has various benefits, from the perspective of readability, ease of navigation, or also it allowed us to have the settings 1:1 in ERA & Endpoints + it´s far easier to maintain / expand / update dynamically and localize.

6 minutes ago, MichalJ said:

Officially creating installer with ERA Agent and Endpoint 5 is not supported

So why even have this?

RuzY6GY.png

35 minutes ago, MichalJ said:

Settings are in the V6 design, however all of the applicable settings will be converted to the format that is consumed by the V5 application.

It seems some settings are applied correctly and some are not. For example, "Global Whitelist" in "Antispam address books" was applied, but "ESET LiveGrid" and "Enable detection of application modifications" wasn't.

• ESET Staff

@kapela86 Screen is shared also with "Software install task", for which, it is possible to install EES / EEA V5. By "ESET Live Grid" you min setting in "Tools" / "ENABLE ESET Live Grid reputation system (recommended!" ? Or some other setting?

I meant this:

qoVeuRP.png

What I found out was that all settings except this one were eventually applied after restart. But it really doesn't matter much, since you said it yourself that you don't support v5 in era v6, and I decided to switch to v6 exclusively. All this testing with v5 client was just...testing, to see how it behaves since I had v5 and was comfortable with it.

• ESET Staff

In general, if your machines are capable of having Endpoint 6 installed (which they are, as you are already running EP 5 there), it is the best thing you can do. Endpoint 5 is in limited support, so we won´t guarantee support for newer versions of operating systems, like Redstone 3 of Windows 10. It also provides a greatly improved protection with additional protection layers. During July, we are planning to release Endpoint 6.6 with further improvements, especially on the performance side, meaning that we are further limiting the system impact.