Accidentally Blocked My Webcam

I am currently using an HP Pavilion laptop... Windows 10... with ESET Smart Security, 2016 Edition.  At some point, with the notifications that pop up to ALLOW or BLOCK a process or application, I evidently was too cautious and inadvertently blocked my Webcam. I checked my Camera settings and all the apps appeared ON.  I know what I know... and in knowing that, I also know what I don't know. I don't want to mess with this issue too much and make it worse.  I would think that it shouldn't be TOO hard but, as I just mentioned... I know what I don't know.  Would love to hear some encouraging words of a relatively easy remedy.

Thanks!  

• ESET Insiders

Hello @cindyatgreenacres and welcome to the ESET Security Forum!

The first thing I would check is your "Webcam Protection Rules". If you do not know how to do this follow these steps:

1. Right-click the ESET tray icon and click "Advanced setup".
  2. In the left-hand panel, click "DEVICE CONTROL".
  3. In the main panel, click "WEBCAM PROTECTION".
  4. To the right of "Rules", click "Edit".
  5. A new window appears which will list all webcam rules that you have created, if any.
  6. See if the application that is being blocked from accessing your webcam is listed.

2017_06.28_17h42m44s_00001_001.jpg.776be9b1bd62a9892a0ab14e59806080.jpg

• If it is not, click "Cancel" to exit the "Rules" window.
  • Click "Cancel" again to exit "Advanced setup".

• If it is, click on that rule and the click "Remove" (bottom left).
  • Click "OK" to exit the "Rules" window.
  • Click "OK" again the exit "Advanced setup".

I hope this helps :) ... Report back as to what you find...

• Most Valued Members
On 25/06/2017 at 9:53 PM, cindyatgreenacres said:

I am currently using an HP Pavilion laptop... Windows 10... with ESET Smart Security, 2016 Edition.  At some point, with the notifications that pop up to ALLOW or BLOCK a process or application, I evidently was too cautious and inadvertently blocked my Webcam. I checked my Camera settings and all the apps appeared ON.  I know what I know... and in knowing that, I also know what I don't know. I don't want to mess with this issue too much and make it worse.  I would think that it shouldn't be TOO hard but, as I just mentioned... I know what I don't know.  Would love to hear some encouraging words of a relatively easy remedy.

Thanks!  

One way to easily unblock stuff is the troubleshooter - go to setup - network protection - troubleshooter wizard - here you can see the last stuff blocked e.g. 5 minutes, 15, hour and so on and unblock specific stuff.

I also presume you have your firewall in interactive mode e.g. each time a new program tries to connect to the internet you're asked if you should allow/deny, remember etc. If you are not sure what to do with popups you might benefit from setting the firewall into automatic - that way Eset basically evaluates the programs for you and allows/blocks them depending on the risk. You can then still use that troubleshooter if something gets blocked.

To enable this open eset and hit f5 to bring the advanced settings up. Go to the firewall option on the left and on the right click the advanced bit. In filtering mode change the option to automatic.

Hope thats helped if you have any more issues feel free to post everyone is always helpful on here.

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, foneil said:

We have pretty good KB instructions for the troubleshooting wizard as well, hxxp://support.eset.com/kb2899/#wizard, let us know if that doesn't work so we can make sure we have the most relevant content updated there to help with issues like these. 

I've always thought it would be handy if you could scan an app/folder to see if anything is blocked and be given the option to unblock. Saves using the troubleshooter and unblocking the wrong one

• 2 weeks later...

If you go to device control and there is nothing there where it is supposed to say 'webcam protection' does that mean it's not a issue with any protection software?