Version 10.1.2xx bug

The problem is it says it's searching for virus database updates after every boot/reboot, but it doesn't do anything, it's just stuck. If i reboot every 5 minutes, everytime i logon it will do the same thing over and over again. I disabled "Automatic update after user logon" task but with no luck.

I already submitted a support ticket. I just want to know if anyone else encountered this and if the devs know about this bug.

Thank you.

Edited by Guest

I have the same problem on my windows 10 64bit, I couldn't update virus database it says  update download is interrupted. I have a working internet connection with valid license. I already did to uninstall/install program but the problem still occurred. I did to clear update caches so many times but there's no change. I tried to reset  network adapter but still no luck. Can somebody give me any solutions?

It's not the same problem i have though.

EDIT: i switched to windows classic theme and the problem is gone.

Edited by Guest

I reported this error for a long time in ESS, appeared with version 10.1.210, although I am presented 2 or 3 times a week, but so far has not been paid attention by ESET.

Edited by Hijin25

Another problem: "ESET Main GUI has stopped working"

Faulting application name: egui.exe, version: 10.1.210.0, time stamp: 0x59005cdf
Faulting module name: sciter-x.dll, version: 11.0.3.0, time stamp: 0x589c6823
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x0000000000206ace
Faulting process id: 0x95c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2ee374e0414e0
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\egui.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET Security\sciter-x.dll
Report Id: fede4fbc-5a2a-11e7-8fc1-1c1b0d6a2403

Edited by Guest

• Administrators

Please check the Diagnostics folder. If it contains dumps, upload them to a safe location and provide a download link.

36 minutes ago, Marcos said:

Please check the Diagnostics folder. If it contains dumps, upload them to a safe location and provide a download link.

No dumps there.

I have another find though: uninstalling nvidia physx also fixes the updating bug after logon. I checked this twice on a clean OS install, fully updated plus latest drivers, so no coincidence there.

So what is the connection between PhysX and Basic/Aero theme and ESET ?!

Edited by Guest

23 hours ago, nimBuS65 said:

Dont check nothing guys its eset failer take a look on this hxxp://support.eset.de/alert6477/ 

same problems that i have on 4 pcs 

I have Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64 bit, and always disable Defender when i clean install OS.

EDIT: since i uninstalled nvidia physx, when i go to Update page i see this "Virus Signature database update ended with an error: Undocumented serious error (0x2)"

So the only solution for now is to switch to windows classic theme.

EDIT2: version 10.1.204 has the same bug.

Wish i had kept the 10.0.390 offline installer. :(

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Viatcheclav Bukas said:

NGR, I ask forgiveness and in what a problem?

The problem is that nothing happens actually.

The error is even worse in version 10.1.219, previously appeared ocationally, now it is after each restart, it is sad to see how the quality of ESET has been lost since version 9.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Hijin25 said:

The error is even worse in version 10.1.219, previously appeared ocationally, now it is after each restart, it is sad to see how the quality of ESET has been lost since version 9.

There's hardly anyone else having issues with v10.1.219. By the way, what issues are you having? Please provide more information as to what error you are getting or post a screen shot so that we exactly know what you mean.

16 hours ago, Marcos said:

Casi nadie tiene problemas con v10.1.219. Por cierto, ¿qué problemas tiene? Proporcione más información sobre el error que está recibiendo o publique una captura de pantalla para que sepamos exactamente lo que quiere decir.

Already reporting this error since May 20, https://forum.eset.com/topic/12040-another-error-in-ess-10/#comment-61618, is exactly the same error reported by NGR.

And if nobody has presented problems with the new version has to be because they have not even heard of the update, since again the program is not updated automatically.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 6:40 PM, Hijin25 said:

Are you using only the Eset default firewall rules and is all outbound network traffic allowed which is the default setting?

9 hours ago, itman said:

Are you using only the Eset default firewall rules and is all outbound network traffic allowed which is the default setting?

I guess they do not understand me.

The problem is not that the program does not update, the problem is that the update task is executed when it should not do it and it does it poorly.

I will illustrate it to see if they understand me.

I start my PC at 7:00 AM , The program is updated without problems, then at 8:00 AM it is refreshed again as scheduled, but let's say I reboot my PC at 8:15 AM, in theory the update task should not run until 9: 00 Am, however after the restart the task is executed and remains working endlessly, as I have indicated.

• Administrators

The Regular update task is run when ekrn.exe is started, ie. each time you start / restart Windows. It wouldn't make sense not to check for newer updates at system startup when new modules could be already available. Needless to mention synchronization of LiveGrid cloud data.

6 hours ago, Hijin25 said:

I start my PC at 7:00 AM , The program is updated without problems, then at 8:00 AM it is refreshed again as scheduled, but let's say I reboot my PC at 8:15 AM, in theory the update task should not run until 9: 00 Am, however after the restart the task is executed and remains working endlessly, as I have indicated.

I suspect something is borked in regards to the Eset Scheduler settings for updating. If you refer to the below screen shot, there are three settings in regards to updating:

1. Establishment of a dial-up connection. I have disabled this since I use an Ethernet connection.
  2. At user logon time.
  3. Regular scheduled update frequency.

You will observe from the execution times posted that Eset ran a regular schedule update immediately after the user logon update since the times are identical. Why Eset does this is beyond me but it always has in every ver. I have used at cold boot time. I believe this occurs since the regular scheduled update "last update time" stored value is not being updated when the logon update scan is run.  I suspect that after a restart on your Win 7 build, the interaction between the two aforementioned updates is causing your Eset installation to hang on the scheduled update.

You can try to uninstall and reinstall Eset and see it that fixes the issue. If not, you can try to disable the logon update check since it appears Eset will always run a regular scheduled update; at least at first cold boot time. You can and should also, create an Eset support request for this problem. 

Eset_Scheduler.thumb.png.b149425b8a3909106132872c64e17039.png

18 hours ago, itman said:

I suspect something is borked in regards to the Eset Scheduler settings for updating. If you refer to the below screen shot, there are three settings in regards to updating:

1. Establishment of a dial-up connection. I have disabled this since I use an Ethernet connection.
  2. At user logon time.
  3. Regular scheduled update frequency.

You will observe from the execution times posted that Eset ran a regular schedule update immediately after the user logon update since the times are identical. Why Eset does this is beyond me but it always has in every ver. I have used at cold boot time. I believe this occurs since the regular scheduled update "last update time" stored value is not being updated when the logon update scan is run.  I suspect that after a restart on your Win 7 build, the interaction between the two aforementioned updates is causing your Eset installation to hang on the scheduled update.

You can try to uninstall and reinstall Eset and see it that fixes the issue. If not, you can try to disable the logon update check since it appears Eset will always run a regular scheduled update; at least at first cold boot time. You can and should also, create an Eset support request for this problem. 

Already did all that and then some. Tried all possible solutions anyone can think of, but the damn bug won't go.

Clean OS install, Genuine W7 Home P 64bit SP1 fully updated.

This bug appeared with version 10.1.210 and now at .219 it's still there.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, NGR said:

Already did that, and then some. All that i can think of, and the damn bug won't go.

Clean OS install, W7 Home P 64bit SP1 Fully updated.

This bug appeared with version 10.1.210 and now at .219 it's still there.

I used both vers. on Win 10 w/o any issues. Leads me to believe the issues lies in Win 7.

Of note is that a restart in Win10 is not a full OS reset as is the case in Win7. Did you try to disable the update at logon option and see if that resolves the update "hanging" at restart time?

2 hours ago, itman said:

Did you try to disable the update at logon option and see if that resolves the update "hanging" at restart time?

Yes.

On 29/7/2017 at 2:51 AM, Marcos said:

The Regular update task is run when ekrn.exe is started, ie. each time you start / restart Windows. It wouldn't make sense not to check for newer updates at system startup when new modules could be already available. Needless to mention synchronization of LiveGrid cloud data.

According to the configuration of the update task, it should be executed every 60 minutes and if it can not be executed in that interval, run as soon as possible. The task is not executed after every restart or start as you point, it has never done so, I've been using eset for 10 years, the update task is executed during a restart if and only if the time since the last update search has exceeded the 60 minutes.