Package configuration vs Policy

Hi!

I have ERA 5 deployed with Endpoint Antivirus 5 by all of the clients I manage. I am attempting to understand the difference between:

1. Configuration associated with the installation package I have deployed and re-deploy for client AV upgrades
  2. Policy settings

Both seem to be essentially the same XML, but it isn't clear to me when each one is applied. My primary concern are the settings for updating virus signatures.

1. The package configuration gets deployed initially with the package and never again?

2. If I update the configuration of the installation package does it propagate to all of the clients that used this package?

3. Does policy override any package configuration after installation?

Thank you,

~levi

1. The package configuration gets deployed initially with the package and never again?

Yes

2. If I update the configuration of the installation package does it propagate to all of the clients that used this package?

No, only new installs using that package will apply the updated configuration.

3. Does policy override any package configuration after installation?

Yes, in case of configuration conflicts policies will override package configuration.

Package configuration is just initial configuration, nothing more. It's better to set just ERA Server location and update server in package configuration and leave the rest to policies(which is more or less now the standard method in V6). Unless you have clients that won't be connecting to ERA there's not a lot of point in using package configuration for anything else other than ERA server location and update server.

Thanks V2TW for confirming my assumptions =).

Would there by any point in placing the same update  server configuration in the policy? Not sure how would I client loose that though...

1 hour ago, leviu said:

Thanks V2TW for confirming my assumptions =).

Would there by any point in placing the same update  server configuration in the policy? Not sure how would I client loose that though...

Yea it's unlikely that client loses that setting. But I would have the policy set just in case. For instance if the client had to reset it's settings to default or something, you only have to remember to set the ERA Server location and policies will take care of the rest.  

• Administrators

I would also strongly recommend upgrading to Endpoint v6 and ERA v6 for maximum protection and using an http proxy to cache update files instead of using a mirror to save traffic.