Update Clients from Mirror Tool created Share

Hello,

I plan to migrate our ERA5 installation with Endpoint v5 Clients to ERA6 and Endpoint v6 on the clients. I have setup a test system to try out the new versions, understand functionality and test it. The first problem I have is about updating clients - I would like to handle this in an identical way as v5 does. That means I create a local mirror on the ERA server and configure clients to use the local server as Update source.

What I have done is:

- Created a task that uses the Mirror Tool to download and save the update files to a directory on the server

- Pointed an IIS7 Instance to the Directory that Mirror Tool is configured for

- Set the IIS instance address as Update Server on the Endpoint v6 client

The Mirror Tool is downloading the updates and creating subdirectories without errors. My client cannot update and tells me "File not found on server"

So where is the client looking for the updates files? I can browse the directories with Internet Explorer just fine...

Well, ok, I found out myself analyzing the IIS Logfiles.

The Mirror Tool creates a directory structure with epd_upd as the main directory and subdirectories ep4, ep5 and ep6. To make the update work on the client I have to add the subdirectory to the update server path - in my case hxxp://10.5.100.132:2221/eset_upd/ep6

To allow the files to be downloaded the extensions .ver and .nup also need to be added to the IIS Mime Types.

To simplify the client configuration I might create some virtual directories in IIS pointing directly to the subdirectory needed. Unfortunately this would also require configuring different update server addresses for different client versions

Edited by EURO-LOG

• Administrators

Why not to use an http proxy to save a lot of traffic? When using a mirror, you download a huge portion of files to the mirror that clients will never need.

We have a quite complex network infrastructure and firewall architecture implemented for various security reasons. We want our clients to stay on the local network - not all of them connecting to the internet all the time.

Using a local mirror also gives us a better control about which data the clients actually request and get served.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Most Valued Members
On 6/14/2017 at 5:35 PM, EURO-LOG said:

Well, ok, I found out myself analyzing the IIS Logfiles.

The Mirror Tool creates a directory structure with epd_upd as the main directory and subdirectories ep4, ep5 and ep6. To make the update work on the client I have to add the subdirectory to the update server path - in my case hxxp://10.5.100.132:2221/eset_upd/ep6

To allow the files to be downloaded the extensions .ver and .nup also need to be added to the IIS Mime Types.

To simplify the client configuration I might create some virtual directories in IIS pointing directly to the subdirectory needed. Unfortunately this would also require configuring different update server addresses for different client versions

Just wondering..  so if you have different nod32 clients (v4, v5, v6), you need to manually specify that?

I think I need to set up something like what you're doing as well.