Duplicate product activation created during upgrade

I've been upgrading clients on Endpoint Antivirus from 6.4 to 6.5 through an ERA task, and I've noticed that in most cases, a new licence seat is created when the upgrade takes place. 

I'm having to go into ELA and delete out duplicates, as it does not seem to preserve/automatically relinquish the upgraded seat. 

See attached example. Both entries are the same machine. The bottom one is the original licence, and was activated back in 2016. On 6/12, we upgraded to ESET, and it created a new seat for it. 

I've never had this issue before when upgrading - anything I need to check?

License.thumb.png.7a2e0a725b591779fb4df506c328a391.png

• ESET Staff

When you created mentioned ERA task (I guess it is software installation task), have you specified license? Selecting license will instruct ERA to activate product once it is installed (or upgraded in this case) - maybe that is reason for this behaviour.

1 minute ago, MartinK said:

When you created mentioned ERA task (I guess it is software installation task), have you specified license? Selecting license will instruct ERA to activate product once it is installed (or upgraded in this case) - maybe that is reason for this behaviour.

Yes, there is a license as part of the software installation task. I double checked previous install tasks, and they also have a license specified, so I'm not sure why I'm just running into this issue.

Your answer makes sense, though. I've been using the same task to install the client on new machines as the one to upgrade, so I'm sure that's where the issue lies. Thanks for the quick answer!

• ESET Staff
7 minutes ago, BenjaminMH said:

Yes, there is a license as part of the software installation task. I double checked previous install tasks, and they also have a license specified, so I'm not sure why I'm just running into this issue.

Your answer makes sense, though. I've been using the same task to install the client on new machines as the one to upgrade, so I'm sure that's where the issue lies. Thanks for the quick answer!

It should not behave like this, but maybe license has changed since you installed previous version? @MichalJmay be able to confirm what is expected behavior.

1 minute ago, MartinK said:

It should not behave like this, but maybe license has changed since you installed previous version? @MichalJmay be able to confirm what is expected behavior.

The license has been updated with a new expiration date, but the key itself is the same. As long as the software stays activated during the upgrade, this should work just fine. 

• ESET Staff

In general, the ELA knows, that it is the same machine. However, during the upgrade process, the previous seat instance was not correctly deactivated (means, that there might be an issue on our side, as during standard de-installation, the application should send "deactivation" response to ESET licensing servers. In your case, it looks like it was taken as a new entry, however with the same HWF. You can send me a PM, with the details, like full seat name, PLID of your license, and approximate time of this upgrade so we could further investigate, and confirm, that is the problem. Thank you.

4 hours ago, MichalJ said:

In general, the ELA knows, that it is the same machine. However, during the upgrade process, the previous seat instance was not correctly deactivated (means, that there might be an issue on our side, as during standard de-installation, the application should send "deactivation" response to ESET licensing servers. In your case, it looks like it was taken as a new entry, however with the same HWF. You can send me a PM, with the details, like full seat name, PLID of your license, and approximate time of this upgrade so we could further investigate, and confirm, that is the problem. Thank you.

I went through and cleaned out the duplicates from ELA. I can upgrade a few more with my original method to get you some examples and report back. 

Is the seat always supposed to deactivate during an upgrade? Or should it preserve the seat?

The batch of computers I sent an upgrade task to that do not have a license seem to have kept their seats. 

• ESET Staff

The seats were kept as well - seat = entry in ELA. Entry could be even with "+", meaning multiple applications are installed on the same system (this is a supported scenario in case of a dual-boot). In your case, our backend simply thinks, that it´s one physical systems, but the new application is not a replacement of the old one, but instead sits next to it. However the old one stops connecting.