Bulk method to update eset firewall rules (and other settings)?

Go to solution Solved by Arakasi,

Hi,

We have a situation where we are supporting many clients where we need to configure the same firewall settings on all these computers.

Since all these computers are owned by individual clients RA isn't an option.

What I was wondering, short of manually going into each clients computers and going through step by step to change the firewall rules, is there a way that we can do a bulk config update? (In the way that we could add/alter a registry entry in Windows by getting them to run a .reg file - but for eset).

I thought of copying the cfg file, but that wouldn't work because they all have unique usernames and passwords, plus it may upset other customised options they may have set.

Does anyone have any ideas how to best approach this situation?

Thanks & regards

Adam.

• Solution

Yes on the setup tab Eset has an import & export option in the form of an xml file.

I am pretty sure these are just settings, so it should work.

What version of Eset are you running ?

Edited by Arakasi

Hi Arakasi,

Thanks very much for your reply. Most clients are (or will be) running version 7 shortly or Eset Smart Security.

I've just exported the settings which gives me everything. I'm guessing that just by deleting all the non-relevant stuff it will only import and 'merge' with the users current settings?

Can't believe I missed this. (I've been looking in the advanced setup tree). Much easier to find in the simplified GUI :)

Anytime Adam

On a network with all clients connected , there is a way to mass import, but you mentioned it was not an option for you.

Good luck with completing your project.

Hi Arakasi,

In regards to the network with all clients connected I'm assuming you mean using RA?

We do have some clients with 3 or 4 computers on a network and if there was another way to solve us having to connect to each computer (considering we're remote connecting in to do this) - if there was another way we'd be happy to observe it.

Personally, I would love to have all my clients running EES and connecting back to a centralised RA server, but of course there would be licensing issues, etc.

• Administrators

Since your clients use a different username and password, leave only the settings you want to apply in the xml and remove the rest while preserving the xml structure.