Nod32 causes complete Freeze with fresh Win10-installation - major bug

Thomas01

• Administrators

I'm afraid that without getting a complete memory dump from the moment of a system freeze we're in a blind alley. Since you are able to reproduce the issue at any time, please configure Windows to generate complete memory dumps as per http://support.eset.com/kb380, reproduce the freeze and force the system to crash in order to generate a dump. When done, compress the dump, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link.

Windows Defender is tightly integrated in W10 even worse than CU so if you try to disable it will just enable itself again.  The problem with NOD32 is that horrible startup scan after install.  It should be optional or at least during install ask before if it needs to run.  Once that thing kicks in it will freeze up older computers.  My newer computer with a SSD it slowed down but since it was so fast I was able to stop it from running in time.

40 minutes ago, Thomas01 said:

Out of curiosity: have any of you noticed which file is being scanned by the initial scan when the thing freezes?

One computer started to scan what was in the Recycle bin really which caused the lockup right away.

Maybe "Process Monitor" can give you a hint about "which" file is being scanned right before the freeze

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

go to Tools --> Process Tree --> Select ekrn.exe (or whatever it is in Windows10) --> click "include Process" at bottom of page

And see

My two cents

I have just provided 2 memory dumps. I have contacted @Marcos via PM. I hope this helps analyzing. Please help.

1st memory dump: Right after installation of ESET, when inital scan freezes.

2nd memory dump: At next startup, when PC is completely unusable/frozen.

Just installed it again on my powerful gaming PC once again useless startup scan ran lockup up windows.  I was able to get into recovery mode which is nearly impossible to do in W10 F8 pressing worked I ran system restore and I have a working machine again.

Just called support they wanted to remotly reinstall the product I told them no it would brick it once that startup scan launched.  Also I can only get a refund within 30 days no partial refund so I will cut my loss.  I can't have a AV that acts like a actual virus locking up W10 PC's.

I have to say I am happy that ESET is actually replying to this thread (to the contrary of the second thread on this topic).

Also I appreciate that you guys sharing your experience, which makes the error description believable.

One of two things will happen: either the number complaints will rise, or Eset will resolve the issue (with or without acknowledging the issue).

I sure hope that the admins in this forum realize that this is not a support question, but a development issue. Since eset 9 works a solution must be at hand.

Edited by Thomas01

Yes the mods here are great.  They actually reply with a real reply not a useless boilerplate replay like run sfc /scannow, run check disk, run the uninstaller etc.

21 minutes ago, tonyram57 said:

Yes the mods here are great.  They actually reply with a real reply not a useless boilerplate replay like run sfc /scannow, run check disk, run the uninstaller etc.

Another reason why we do business with ESET.:)

Funny thing: being in the process of constantly reinstalling i purchased a licence of avira pro.

It has got a similar issue. ?

This product doesn't do an initial scan like eset. Instead, it arrives at somewhat of a standstill at the end of the installation. Here as well, explorer.exe starts freezing.

It's probably not the initial scan, it's the realtime protection.

This is probably bigger than eset. Something clashes with windows, most likely the latest windows defender update. As i noticed before realtime protection doesnt kick in, it shows it's not working properly.

9 hours ago, Rainer_Borchmann said:

Now, turning off defender doesn't change anything in freezing in of the machine

See how to fully disable Windows Defender and all its related services in this thread that I made:

How to properly install an Antivirus / Security Suite in Windows 10

9 minutes ago, Thomas01 said:

Funny thing: being in the process of constantly reinstalling i purchased a licence of avira pro.

It has got a similar issue. ?

This product doesn't do an initial scan like eset. Instead, it arrives at somewhat of a standstill at the end of the installation. Here as well, explorer.exe starts freezing.

It's probably not the initial scan, it's the realtime protection.

This is probably bigger than eset. Something clashes with windows, most likely the latest windows defender update. As i noticed before realtime protection doesnt kick in, it shows it's not working properly.

Same for Trend Micro users! 

That works! Great, perfect, thanks. Setting the registry key as described above. I had to create the registry value, wasn't there.

I recommend a Computer "restart", not shutdown and turning it on again. Windows 10 has some sort of quick start, but it does a complete shutdown when you press restart.

It is an issue with Windows Defender. They changed something. 

Wow disabling that POS WD which I was blaming NOD32 for really speed things up.  I also used autoruns and disabled everything that said Defender and rebooted.

I though my SSD was fast before but it is much faster.  The slower Pentium PC's with 5400rpm spinning drives that are slow I am afraid to try NOD32 again unless that POS WD is disabled completely.

Has someone at ESET been able to look at the issue, and what's causing it?

Turning Windows Defender off is a very nice solution to get the computer working again for now, but probably not a satisfying permanent one.

I installed NOD32 successfully on the slower 5400rpm all in one. I of course first created a system restore point.  Then I disabled Windows defender using the winaero tool.  Rebooted and WU was disabled, installed the latest NOD32 which ran the startup scan and it is working fine.

• Most Valued Members
10 hours ago, Thomas01 said:

Turning Windows Defender off is a very nice solution to get the computer working again for now, but probably not a satisfying permanent one.

I would expect that because the problem affects so many 3rd party A/V products that Microsoft's inbox will be bloated. This isn't the first instance of where defender has caused issues of the same nature, and probably not the last ............

Its never ranked that well in any tests over the years that its been around and has been more of a hindrance than a help.

People at Microsoft obviously made the choice for it to be on by default for safety reasons for inexperienced users to be protected. They should also have been aware that running multiple realtime AV products on the same machine has never been a good idea.
System performance takes a hit, even if there are no conflicts to speak of.

Defender off by default would have been my choice way of going, and a pop up notification saying "You are not protected unless you turn Defender on , or install another AV product........ and then nag until one of the options are chosen ". Not really a BIG request is it.

• Administrators
21 hours ago, Thomas01 said:

It's some recent changes in Windows Defender that started to cause these issues. Basically when we send a signal to WSC that we are registered in the system, it takes a while until Defender turns off. As a result, two real-time protections run concurrently which may cause deadlocks and freezes under certain circumstances. We are currently testing a workaround/solution for Endpoint 6.5. If there's something new with regard to home version, we'll let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the issue here also... 

Multiple customer rigs all running build 1703 ( creators update ) that have stupid hickups when nod32 10.0.390 is on there...  ( offline installer for 10.1.* unavailable ? ) 

Just checked on a machine that also has 1703 but has smart security running ( also 10.0.390 )  but that is working just fine.

Sidenote ; that version is not updating to 10.1 ...   When ran the live installer the old build was removed and the 10.1 was installed...  

Seems that build 1703 as some really big issues with nod32 , especially the 10.0.* versions.... 

• Administrators
49 minutes ago, shicomm said:

Seems that build 1703 as some really big issues with nod32 , especially the 10.0.* versions....

The issues may basically occur with any version since it's a clash of two real-time protections running at a time. It's always been a rule not to run 2 real-time protections at a time but recently Microsoft has made some sudden changes that triggered the clash. The issue is not limited to ESET's products and more AVs are affected.