Nod32 causes complete Freeze with fresh Win10-installation - major bug

Thomas01

As described in this post 

eset nod32 antivirus causes a complete freeze at every start of the computer (except safe mode) on a freshly installed windows 10 pro.

Eset says in gui right after installing it, that "realtime protection" (i'm translating from German) is not fully functional (hghlighted red). Automatic initial computer scan starts, and can't be aborted: pressing the x button completely freezes windows explorer and every chance. Computer cant be shut down (freezes). At next startup, computer freezes completely. And at every following startup.

My configuration:

Thinkpad t460, win 10 all updates installed, drivers installed with lenovo system update, nothing else installed.

• Administrators

Check if you have Lenovo RapidBoot installed. We recommend uninstalling it as it's known to cause various issues. Should the problem persist, configure Windows to generate complete memory dumps as per the instructions at http://support.eset.com/kb380/ and initiate a manual crash to generate one. When done, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link. Also provide me with ELC logs as per the instructions linked in my signature.

Unfortunately, this system doesnt create system dumps any more, nor can eset create logs: Explorer.exe is 100% non-functional. Nothing can be downloaded, or saved, as soon as eset is installed.

So, i cant give you much information on the system, except: win 10 pro german on t460 (os purchased seperately, t460 with ssd), 1st step windows update, (2nd step lenovo system update), 3rd step eset --> machine "dead".

THIS TIME i havent used system update (due to your mentioned driver issues). But i cannot choose which windows updates to install. They are being installed automatically.

I did make a video with my phone how the pc behaves at the installation (~6min). I dont think it would help much.

After yet another system reinstall I chose eset version 9. That works.

I suspect it's that initial automatic scan that sets in right after the installation. That messes everything up. It always gets stuck right at the beginning with the dolby dax2 driver, which btw i think is new (file: msvcr90.dll), but mandatory (windows update). It's the same every time:

This file is being scanned and eset gets stuck with it. Scan cant be stopped (pressing x does not stop it), so you have to hard reset, and that I suspect breaks the system.

I suspect. I just hope eset looks into the matter.

Hello! I tried to do a fresh install of the latest version yesterday and got the exact same results as the thread starter! Exactly! 

Now that I'm on my PC again, that's the full path of the file:
C:\program files\dolby\Dolby DAX2\DAX2_API\amd64\Microsoft.VC90.CRT\msvcr90.dll

+ 2 screenshots, how ESET behaves.

BTW: Version 9 gets through the scan of the file just fine.

Screenshot_20170601-073539.png

Screenshot_20170601-073557.png

• Administrators
1 hour ago, King Grub said:

Hello! I tried to do a fresh install of the latest version yesterday and got the exact same results as the thread starter! Exactly! 

Does the system react to clicking the Start button for instance? Are you able to run Task manager after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del? Do you have a Lenovo notebook like the OP?
If possible, please generate a complete memory dump as per the instructions in my first post in this topic.

Hi!

It does react to the Start button, but not to any further action from the start menu. For example, trying to restarting the computer from there just hangs it. Task Manager works by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del, and it is from there that I had to reboot into Safe Mode with networking, download the ESET uninstall tool and run it to be able to use the computer. If I had been a "normal" computer user I would probably have been stuck at the freezing stage.

I don't have a Lenovo notebook. It's a custom built desktop with a clean install of Windows, no bloatware. 

The ESET gui looks just like the pictures posted above, but in English.

I tried to install it again after removing the first frozen installation with the uninstall tool, but the same thing happened again. I am not trying a third time for the time being.

This is using the web installer by the way, since the full installation packages have not been updated to the latest version yet. I have not tried to use one of those yet. I usually use the offline installers, but I wanted to avoid having to update the program after installation this time.

Edited by King Grub

• Administrators

Would it be possible to generate a complete memory dump as I suggested above and provide it to us for perusal? In the mean time, you could provide me with ELC logs as per the instructions linked in my signature. Maybe I'll spot something suspicious there, e.g. some software or driver that might clash with ESET.

This issue does not cause a BSOD, so I  there are no memory dumps to send. The system just becomes super unresponsive, and you have to either do a hard reset with the reset button (which makes it reboot normally, but it freezes again when the desktop appears) or reboot into safe mode. Neither of which produces a memory dump.

I just arrived at work an hour ago, so it'll be quite some time until I get home to my PC, but I will be able to fix a log tonight, though.

I don't have any special drivers, and those I do have - video card for example, and all the latest. No yellow question marks in the Device Manager. Windows updated fully. And no errors or warnings in the Event Viewer except the 3-4 DCOM ones during boot which everyone has on Windows 10. I run a very tight ship.

Edited by King Grub

Someone else with the exact same problem:

And he tested on 2 PCs.

Have you tried running the web installer on a Creators Update machine? Three different persons with the same exact issue in 2 days is not a fluke and points to an issue with the installation process itself,  not the users.

Edited by King Grub

I am kind of out of the running for providing a system dump. I tried it yesterday, prepared all the registry stuff, but after the installation of eset i couldnt create logs or dumps due to the complete freeze. i would have provided one if i were able to.

As well, I am now on eset version 9, that works.

I have noticed something: installation of eset worked if i did it before windows update kicked in. So i think it's an update, a driver, or a conflict with windows defender (cause an update for that is provided via windows update too).

So, I got 2 solutions: quickly install eset before windows update kicks in. Or do what i currently do: use version 9 (although i have to add that using old versions might be a security risk, but for me it's better than nothing).

Let me add something else: i watched the video again (the one i made of the freeze). The initial scan works for a very short time, a few seconds maybe. When it wants to scan the mentioned file of the dolby driver (dax2), then the trouble begins.

• ESET Moderators

Hello guys,

Marcos probably meant manually created full memory dump (not a dump from a crash), the creation is described in this KB article: http://support.eset.com/kb380/?locale=en_US it is done by the system on quite low level so even frozen system should be able to generate one, if configured properly.

Can you please try to manually disable the Windows Defender, restart the system and let us know if the issue persists?

Regards, P.R.

On 31. 5. 2017 at 8:20 PM, Thomas01 said:

yes same Situation here. I installed W10 Creators update on two laptops via media creation tool and then i run the setup of eset smart security 10.1.204.3. After this setup of eset Software both laptops are freezed in . Can start w10, but unable to do anything with the both Laptops. Any help is highly wellcome. Rainer Borchmann / rainer@borchmann.de

eset nod32 antivirus causes a complete freeze at every start of the computer (except safe mode) on a freshly installed windows

Your terrible AV bricked 2 of my PC's now.  They were working fine until I put NoD32 and now they just freeze up thanks to your useless startup scan that could not be cancelled.  I can't even get into safe mode or anything.

• Administrators

Please provide us with a complete memory dump from a system freeze for perusal as per the instructions in my previous posts so that we can analyze it and find out the cause of the freeze.

7 hours ago, tonyram57 said:

Your terrible AV bricked 2 of my PC's now.  They were working fine until I put NoD32 and now they just freeze up thanks to your useless startup scan that could not be cancelled.  I can't even get into safe mode or anything.

Pressing  CTRL+ALT+DELETE will make it possible to get into Safe Mode. I found no other way; selecting Restart from the Start menu while pressing Shift didn't work. Once in Safe Mode with networking, you can download the ESET uninstall tool and get rid of it that way. After that the PC works as usual again.

Tget into safe mode, shift+klicking restart also works at the login screen (if you've set a password for the computer).

I am very interested to see if anyone out there will be able to provide a system dump. It requires setting the registry parameters before installing eset, and then deliberately bricking the computer by installing eset. I got this far, but pressing the keyboard combinations didn't do anything in my case , once the pc went into frozen state.

IMHO Eset should be able to reproduce the freeze with the provided descriptions.

7 minutes ago, Thomas01 said:

Tget into safe mode, shift+klicking restart also works at the login screen (if you've set a password for the computer).

Ah. I have disabled the password and login screen since I am the only one who has physical access to my PC.

Tech support, no matter which company, almost never seem to do this. Even when the issue is easliy reproducible and it is obvious that the problem lies with the product, not the users.

Edited by King Grub

• Administrators

Before installing ESET, I'd recommend disabling Windows Defender using LGP as per the instructions at https://www.windowscentral.com/how-permanently-disable-windows-defender-windows-10 to prevent two real-time protection modules at a time which could result in a lockup.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Rainer_Borchmann said:

yes it is recommended, but its not the solution to this Problem

How do you know? We've recently seen an increase in issues caused by a recent update of Windows Defender which resulted in locking up files during installation or upgrade of ESET. Hence I would like to rule out WD as a possible culprit.

We haven't been reported issues like this from other users so it's not a general issue with Windows 10.