Erro 1920 when pushing EEA to a Workgroup computer

As per title. I've got two laptops that are in a workgroup. Agent installed okay and is talking to ERA 6.5, but deployment of EEA 6.5 has failed (twice) on both laptops with:

Error 1920: Service "ESET Service" (ekrn) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges ti start system service.

Installation has *partially* completed. ERA says that EEA is installed, and EEA does show up on the laptops when I use the ESET Uninstaller tool from safe mode. But there's no GUi and no entries in Add/Remove Programs or on the Start menu. So it's in a half-installed state.

I'll attempt a manual install, but it would be useful to understand the reason. Both machines are Win 10 Pro x64 1703.

Jim

Edited by jimwillsher
Add note about half-baked install

• Administrators

Is it a clean install or upgrade over an older version? We've been reported this issue on Windows 10 too and so far we suspect that Windows Defender process msmpeng has a handle on ESET's files open which prevent the installer to continue. Could you confirm or deny that disabling the WD service makes a difference?

Hi Marcos

Clean install laptops, purchased this week.They had build 1603 of Win10 which I've upgraded to 1703, and then installed (or tried to) EEA.

The manual installation hasn't moved me forward. It installed okay, the GUI is there etc, and it's successfully communicating with ERA. However it's not puling any tasks from ERA - and my first task is the Activation task.

So I'm not really any further forward.

Jim

OK so I've given up for now. To summarise (TL;DR) :

• Windows 10 Pro x64, build 1703, clean install. Workgroup, not domain. ERA is hosted external - access across internet, in standalone domain. ERA works fine for my other 160+ computers, some of which are workgroup machines.
  • Pushing EEA 6.5.x from 6.5.x ERA. EEA appears to be installed, and ERA reports that the definitions are current and shows the icon and the security product, but there is virtually no trace of EEA on the client - no GUI, no start menu, no entry in appwiz.cpl. App uninstalls correctly via the ESET uninstaller command-line tool in safe mode. Event og shows the error as per my forum post title.
  • Installing EEA 6.5.x directly on the laptop by running the .EXE is slightly better, in that the GUI and appwiz.cpl etc look okay. EEA also correctly "checks in" to ERA every few minutes. Status.html file also shows green. However EEA refuses to pick up any ERA policies or run any assigned tasks (such as product activation). Uninstalls correctly via control panel.

It's very rare that I have to work with workgroup laptops, they are almost all domain-joined. But I don't think that's the problem, I think it relates to Windows 10 Creators.

I have two laptops, both unboxed today, both identical, and both exhibiting identical behaviour. Both were brand new Dell laptops with Windows 10 x64 1607 installed, and I've used the Windows Upgrade Assistant to upgrade to build 1703. One laptop had the agent installed before the 1703 upgrade, the other laptop had it installed after the 1703 upgrade.

These laptops aren't needed urgently so I am happy to help troubleshooting, and I can provide remote access if that helps (TeamViewer). Getting it to work via ERA would be my preferred route.

Many thanks

Jim

Me again....

The 6.6 beta, when locally installed, seems to work okay, in that it's talking to ERA and picking up tasks etc. GUI also looks okay.

Jim

• Administrators

I can confirm that renaming Windows Defender's service executable "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe" before upgrade solves the issue. During upgrade, WD activates which is fine and expected, however, for some reason it holds ESET's files for too long which prevents ekrn from starting. We are investigating if there's something we could do about it on our part.

Many thanks Marcos.

Just to be clear, this was a new install, not an upgrade. Interestingly, I recently upgraded 80+ Windows 10 computers, and on a few of them, ESET seems to vapourise/get removed. Maybe related? Maybe not.

6.6 is continuing to work perfectly for us.

Jim

• ESET Moderators

Hello Jim,

the upgrade should preserve the ESET applications (current versions), but apparently there is some issue with it.

The Windows upgrade logs would help us to look into it.

Regards, P.R.