Eset smart security 32-64 bit proces

Greetings. Use Windows 8 64 bit, and I'm interested in why these windows uses 32 bit process from your security software? Whether your product is fully prepared to work on Windows 8.1 64 bit?

post-2009-0-03423000-1382271277_thumb.jpg

Edited by josip

• Administrators

What's the problem with ekrn.exe being 32-bit? All necessary drivers and modules are 64-bit so ESET's products work on x64 systems fine.

So far I've used Windows 8, and now I want to upgrade to Windows 8.1 64 bit, so I wonder if it will still be some ESET processes 32 bit is it for me to be a mistake?

So you see my screenshot and say that it is so fine and that ESET Smart security7 64 bit quality and neat work on Windows 8.1 64 bit?

Josip. Do you know the difference between 32bit & 64bit ?

Eset drivers and modules are 64bit which will allow the entire product to run on your machine, including any 64bit OS

It is ok ekrn is 32bit app. It will still work. You wouldnt notice a difference if 64bit.

@arakasi

I know the difference in the functioning of 32 and 64 bit versions of the operating system kernel. Microsoft says:

Microsoft had to build a special section in the 64bit registry for 32bit applications to function called the wow6432node (it is an exact mirror of a 32bit registry inside the 64bit registry) a true 32bit application cannot see anything outside of that area of the registry. so to make a long explanation short if you are running a 32bit antivirus it will load and appear to function 100% however there is a whole higher hierarchy to the registry that this application will not be able to see or provide security on.

Go with a 64bit version and process for full security ....

Because of all this worries me why some ESET processes 32 bit to 64 bit version of Windows...

• Administrators

As mentioned before, all necessary modules and drivers are 64-bit. There would be absolutely no difference in terms of protection or performance if ekrn.exe was 64-bit.

Right. Thank you for your response. I'd like you to tell me exactly what this process ekrn.exe working and what is responsible ....

Thank you for your request. Just because the process is responsible for most of the functions of your product, I am more concerned why it is 32 bit and runs on a 64 bit windows 8t . You read the description from Microsoft in which they recommended especially for low level applications like antivirus that should be run as a 64 bit process would have its full function ....

• ESET Moderators

Hello Josip,

it is and it is not as well.

The architecture of our product is quite complicated, it has the kernel, multiple drivers, modules and so on.

All crucial parts running in kernel mode are 64 bit as far as they has to be.

They ensure redirection of scanning requests to the scanning core.

The usermode parts could be 32 bit or 64 bit as far as all processors used in standard PCs and servers have support for both instructions sets.

The 64 bit architecture has many advantages, but disadvantages as well. For example memory consumption is higher on 64 bits.

One of our advantages has always been low system footprint and we will try to keep it in the future for sure.

I have said it before that I do not have a clue why ESET would leave 1 process 32bit in a 64bit App.

And FYI a 32bit App running in WOW64 (32bit emulation) on a 64bit OS can run slower then it does in a native 32bit OS (read on MS site if you search), it doesn't always run slower and probably not noticeable but its still there.

Makes no sense apart from lazy coding.

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

A properly-written 32-bit app can run faster than a 64-bit app and consume less memory, just like a properly-written single-threaded app can outperform a multi-threaded one..  Keep in mind that some of the portions of ESET's code, where speed and memory consumption are a paramount, are written in x86 assembly that has been through multiple iterations of performance optimization review by both optimizing compilers and by hand.  Switching that out would likely result in slower code that utilized more resources.  The general rule-of-thumb is that ESET's engineers look at both x86 and x64 code, and use whichever has the least negative impact on system performance.  That's why you see instances of x86 code in some places--there's simply no benefit to the end user in having 64-bit code there.

For more information, please see ESET Knowledgebase Article #401, "Are ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus native 64-bit applications".

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Most Valued Members

Thank you for the in depth explanation. It was something that I was curious about.

• ESET Insiders

Would it not be necessary to have some 32 bit components to protect from 32 bit malware, which would likley be most of it?

Edited by xxJackxx

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

Not really. ESET's Windows software also looks for Linux, Mac and Unix threats, as well as threats for Android and other mobile platforms, in addition to what you expect it to look for i.e., traditional Windows-based malware. With the proper emulation and parsing, one can check for malware written for entirely different operating systems and processor architectures.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Would it not be necessary to have some 32 bit components to protect from 32 bit malware, which would likely be most of it?

A proper written code for 64bit will run better in a 64bit OS than 32bit code will.

Compare apples to apples not bad 64bit code in 64bit OS versus good 32bit code in a 64bit OS running under WOW64 (again an emulation).

64bit is about more than just memory and TBH a few MB's extra on modern systems with 4-32GB as the norm will not bring the PC to its knees.

Sure its good ESET try and not be hungry on resources like in the past but a few MB's extra is fine and there is lesser hungry AV's out there if that's the excuse.

Even some freeware apps now are native 64bit with options of 32bit for those who need them (but its nearly 2014 so not clue why not 64bit OS).

I bet you will eventually get round to it.

I have noticed on this forum, that the same person, I assume that these are employees ESET, responding to questions whether the issues related to marketing, sales to technical malfunction. It looks ridiculous and unprofessional because it is impossible for one person had such a wide range of high-quality knowledge, so that we then the same person answers the questions about the 64 bit processes and the same person to me in another post responding to legal and commercial issues .. ..

josip

Attempt to contradict, talking down to, making your own ego larger, throwing accusations round here, are not something that makes this community a very happy or fun & exciting place to read topics.

It is disheartening to see negativity on critical threads with useful information to the end user.

The forum moderators "are" employees of ESET, they are entitled to give official responses from ESET and as ESET as far as i know.

Which brings me to my next point that may or may not be true, but it is logical.

These same "people" who have been designated for this project have the full resources of the company at their disposal.

They have distribution lists and contacts in their email and contacts section etc. I contest that you think they are not smart, they are all very smart and bright individuals that all have some sort of grasp on the malware field, or they would not be in their spots.

They could easily ask a co-worker for assistance to give the best possible answer.

I also could be wrong .... but its still logical thinking.

Edited by Arakasi

@Tempmember

I have never used an AV that is better on my system and makes my computer run faster/smoother than ESET's products.

I would not want them to change any of their coding or algorithms unless agreed on as a team or if it was known that a different way/method would be faster/better.

I think they have their coding working fine or they would have made all your changes suggested. *Just an opinion, thanks

@  Arakasi that is your opinion and one I do not agree with anything you have said and my input (same as years back on same old topic on old site) was not for your benefit.

I do agree however you are vey defensive of ESET like a fanboy as brand loyalty gains you nothing.

Making it native 64bit should not ruin anything and you obviously have not tried all other AV's out there cause many including Norton 360 use less resources be them better or worse.

I like ESET ESS but have some things I do not like about it but during beta testing they do not listen to the testers so...