Eset Blocking Windows Network Connections

I have a 4 pc Windows network.  One of the  pc's is a server for a POS system so it is  imperative that the other  3  pc's can connect to it.  Unfortunately, I have found the I cannot run the  Personal Firewall in this configuration. It blocks connectivity to 2 of the workstations.  I cannot ping the server from the two workstations although I can ping the workstations from the server.  Can you please tell me what parameters  need to be changed to allow network traffic.  I would really like to enable the Personal Firewall on the server.

I have Eset Smart Security v10 installed.   I found a KB article for this subject but it is for v4 and the  steps do not jive at all for v10.  All pc's have Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Administrators

The OP wroge that all machines are running Windows 10.

1. Do you have trusted zone set up properly so that all local machines are members of it?

2. If so, you can run the firewall troubleshooting wizard to review blocked communications and to allow the desired ones with a few clicks.

Itman, yes, Eset is installed on all 4 pc's.  Please again note, the server is just a workstation, not Windows server.  It is the server for the POS system.  I hope this helps.

Marcos,  The answer is NO, I haven't done anything special to configure this network.  Out of the box settings.   Can you point me to the KB articles about Trusted Zones and the troubleshooing wizard. 

HOWEVER,  I would like to point out that  this issue appeared suddenly without any explanation.  The  site  was working perfectly last  Thursday, but Friday morning the owner called me to let me know that the POS could not connect.  Right now, I have permanently disabled the Personal Firewall.

I also wanted to add the I just (last weekend - 5 days before this occurred) updated Eset from v9 to v10.  I wouldn't think that this would have ANY affect but who knows. 

Per Marcos's suggestion, open up Network Connections and within the Troubleshooting Wizard section and check if the "Recently blocked applications or devices" count is a non-zero value as shown by the below screenshot. If so, open up the Troubleshooting Wizard and check if your blocked PCs are shown. If they are, click on the "Unblock" button and Eset will generate the appropriate firewall rules for them.

Eset_Troub_Wiz.png

Edited by itman

As far as determining trusted network connections for each PC, open Eset Network Protection, then Personal Firewall settings. To access Trusted Network settings, follow what is shown in the below screen shot. Note: I use the Public profile and as such have no trusted connections showing.

Also Eset in ver. 10 introduced a new feature called Home Network Protection. It can be accessed through the Tools section. It will show you all device connections for your Private Network profile. You can read about it here: http://help.eset.com/ess/10/en-US/?idh_page_tools.htm

Eset_Zones.png

Edited by itman

Hi Itman.  Thanks for your responses.  On one of the pc's, there  was a  blocked event so I unblocked it but it didn't seem to make any difference.  I had a continuous ping running. There were NO blocked events on the other pc. 

Is a reboot required?  When I started troubleshooting, I was able to ping in both directions (workstation to pos server and the reverse).  When I enabled the  Firewall on the  POS  server to start  troubleshooting, nothing changed.  I then  rebooted all 3 devices and then I did not have connection from the workstations back to the POS server (i.e. I was able to recreated the original error). 

• Administrators

Please continue as follows:

- enable advanced firewall logging under Tools -> Diagnostics
- restart the computer
- reproduce the issue
- disable logging
- collect logs with ESET Log Collector as per the instructions linked in my signature and provide me with the generated zip file.

1 hour ago, Joliet_tech said:

I had a continuous ping running.

As far as your pinging activities from the other PCs to the server PC, Eset will only allow that if those other PCs are shown in the Trusted Zone for the server PC. You never responded as to if those other PCs are shown in the Trusted Zone for the server PC.

Itman, Thank you. I still have to check the Trusted Zone. I will work on this again this evening after the client business hours.  Thanks.

Marcos,
I will follow the process and repond back this evening after the client's business hours. 

I was unable to duplicate the issue.  While i was checking setttings in Eset, I noticed that the server computer was on a Public network type.  I changed it to private.  By the way, in Windows, the network was private on all 4 pc's.  I suspect that  this may have been the issue all along.  Why was it Public, I don't know. Why was it working one night but not the next morning with no setting changes is beyond me as well.

I am done for the night. I will check this entire setup tomorrow and see if I can duplicate it.  At this point, the Personal FW is enabled on all 4 pc's and I am able to ping the server from both workstation POS terminals. 

Edited by Joliet_tech
Added info on Windows network type = private