Nod32 version 7 cannot be used with Outpost firewall

Mariusry

Hi,

The issue was raised in beta section, but is present in the latest final version also. Please read my comment from the link bellow also.

https://forum.eset.com/topic/976-nod32-av-701040-with-outpost-firewall-81/#entry6429

Please take this issue into consideration, because the users affected by this issue cannot use the internet with Nod32 version 7 installed.

10x,

Edited by Mariusry

• Administrators

Please let us know if disabling protocol filtering or HIPS (followed by a computer restart) makes a difference. Since we were unable to reproduce the issue in our environment, we'll need your assistance to troubleshoot it further.

Disabling HIPS followed by a restart has no effect, disabling [Protocol Filtering] and [integrate into system] from the advanced settings does the trick, everything works ok. But I found this a little bit odd, because on version 6 we also had, protocol filtering, is this different in version 7? Anyways what now, because with this option set to disabled, I will not be protected from malicious content over the web. The downloaded files will be scanned upon access or when the download completes, but what about the malware on the sites, that will be accessed in real time?

Edited by Mariusry

How do you install this combo, when installing the Outpost firewall, do you select the check-box from the beginning of the installation of the outpost firewall, when it detects the AV (for compatibility), or you leave it unchecked? Try to leave it unchecked to. Try also to install first the AV then the Firewall, with the compatibility check-box ticked and unticked. Or to test a more realworld case, install an earlier version of Outpost, install version 6 of NOD32, update the firewall, then the AV, to the latest versions.

Edited by Mariusry

Guys, I really want an estimation, when you will fix this, because I need to know if I return the product or not. You asked me to test something, I've done that, for free, and it's not my job really, to test a product, that I paid for. At least reply.

I have Agnitum Outpost Security Suite 8.1.2 & NOD AV v7 running side by side with realtime protection enabled for each without issues however I disabled the 'integrate into system' for Protocol Filtering under advanced setup.

I remember having some type of issue with this on previous version (cant recall what) so I never bothered to test it on 7.

I have a mess of 'incompatable' programs that require tweaking to play nice together, this is the only thing I've had to do inside NOD tho.

Edited by btm

• Administrators

When Outpost firewall is installed on a computer running ESET NOD32 Antivirus, it displays a message asking you to run OF in a compatibility mode. Despite the option selected, we didn't encounter any issues. Did you select to run OF in compatibility mode and experienced the issues though?

I have Outpost Pro on 3 computers along with NOD32 v7 and I did nothing special and seems to be doing just fine here.

edit: Now on 5 computers.

Edited by jadinolf

Well after responding above I re-enabled the web protections just to test it out with 7. I've visited my normal round of daily sites and haven't had ANY issues pop up yet. :-/

Update:

I've had a few glitches.

Generally the 'bugged' pages get displayed as html code or get stuck loading a certain element and never finish with the rest of the page.

Once so far a jpeg got 'chopped' into a few blocks and displayed incorrectly like a badly put together puzzle made of large squares.

Refreshing the page has worked each time so far for all the pages except jpeg chops.

Depending on the frequency of future glitches I may disable it again.

Update2:

The frequency of the glitches spiraled out of control.

To add to the list a new glitch (perhaps the same for all in the end?) is that when i downloaded files they also became corrupted and unusable. I tested files from various sites and once it started, it became common that they would be corrupted.

After this, I disabled the web protections inside nod again. Didn't fix the issue. Rebooted, tested again and it was still happening. Uninstalled NOD and the issues vanished. Now I'm going to reinstall and keep the web prots disabled from the start like I originally did. ^^

What I find odd is how the issues didn't occur at all to start with, but instead crept up over time becomming more frequent until it was unmanagable. If ESET tests these two together again, they may want to do so for an extended (over days of standard use on the web) time to give the issues a chance to pop up. IMO the root cause to all these symptoms is corrupted/modified data that is just rearing its head in different ways.

Edited by btm

@Marcos,

Yes I know about that compatibility check box, I leave it unchecked, because if I check it, the Web control will not be installed. Nod32 Av does not block cookies, Referrers, Ads, and so on. Anyways, with version 6 I also left it unchecked, and no issues. I don't want to make free publicity to another companies, so I'll only give one letter from other products that I have tried with Outpost and work without issues. I tried a Russian AV that's starts with a K( even if they state on their site that Outpost it's not compatible, even their installation wizard want's to uninstall the firewall), also a Romanian one that starts with a B.

Maybe I can make a case to Outpost to, if you're kind enough to tell me what the compatibility issue is all about

Edited by Mariusry

@ jadinolf

How did you install Outpost? Like Marcos said? Did you disabled any of the Firewall's modules or protection?

Edited by Mariusry

I'm on Windows XP fully patched. I've recently upgraded Outpost Firewall Pro to the last version 8.1.2. OFP detected Eset Nod32 Anti-virus 6 during installation and all worked fine.

I saw yesterday that Nod32 v7 was available and I decided to install it. Bad idea.

I let the installation run and rebooted my PC when asked. Now I've a black screen when the computer is on. When I reset it, Windows warns me there was an anomaly during last boot and displays a screen where I can choose to boot in safe mode. XP being XP, I can't because my USB keyboard is not detected. So I'm stuck with the black screen. I'll have to hunt for an old non-usb keyboard but maybe there are other ways. Any help is welcome.

I managed to get a PS2 keyboard and to boot in safe mode. I uninstalled Nod32 and OFP to install Outpost Security Suite. All is fine now.

Nod32 v7 is an abysmal release for Outpost firewall users. I think there was some problems with Outpost in the past for a previous version, problems never or very lately corrected.

My Nod32 license expires in 2 months. I don't think I'll renew it though I may try to install it on the laptop I plan to buy to replace my trusty PC.

I'll still have Eset Mobile Security on my android phone.

I have finally discovered that I have the same problem reported here. I bought a brand new computer and installed the latest versions of Outpost and NOD32, both of which I have been using for years on other computers but unknowingly the versions on those were not up to date. I installed Outpost first and accepted the default options on both.

I found that I could not download any files - all said they were invalid. I also found problems with un-rendered web pages and slow performance, particularly being unable to load Google Mail. I have wasted days and days trying to find the problem.

I was on the point of sending back the computer, thinking there was some problem with the hard drive until their technical support told me about this problem with NOD32.

Please could you sort this out. I have currently had to go back to a previous version.

• Administrators

Outpost firewall didn't work with v7 HIPS on Windows XP due to a bug which was fixed in Windows Vista and newer: We've made a workaround for this in the Anti-Stealth module, however. Please enable pre-release updates and run update manually. Make sure the Anti-Stealth module has updated to version 1055 prior to installing Outpost firewall.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you install this combo, when installing the Outpost firewall, do you select the check-box from the beginning of the installation of the outpost firewall, when it detects the AV (for compatibility), or you leave it unchecked? Try to leave it unchecked to. Try also to install first the AV then the Firewall, with the compatibility check-box ticked and unticked. Or to test a more realworld case, install an earlier version of Outpost, install version 6 of NOD32, update the firewall, then the AV, to the latest versions.

Just here to emphasize what you have written. Eset has to be installed first so Outpost Firewall can recognize it. 

Jes

Hello;
My OS is Windows 7 SP1 32b  My firewall is Outpost Pro 8.0, and my antivirus is Nod32 V 7.0.302.26, with HIPS deactivated
In the Exclusions of Nod, I put  C:\ Program Files \ Agnitum \ Outpost Firewall Pro \ *.*
C: \ ProgramData. \ Agnitum \ *.*
Everything works fine but if I install Outpost Firewall Pro 8.1.2 my PC crashes.
I still have not found what blocks, and if you have a solution, I'm interested.
This crash problem started for me with version 8.1 Outpost. So I stay with Oupost V  8.0 and  Nod32 V 7.0.302.26 until a solution is found.

Edited by paulposition

@ jadinolf

How did you install Outpost? Like Marcos said? Did you disabled any of the Firewall's modules or protection?

No, I just installed it. Disabled nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Agnitum Outpost firewall Pro 8.1.2 & NOD AV v7 and pages get displayed as html code or get stuck loading,corrupts those that do load and often fails to execute tabs or links to other pages.
 Once I disable protocol filtering followed by a computer restart so far its working ok.

Add me to the list for this one.

When upgrading NOD I always have to: (1) uninstall outpost (2) uninstall Nod (3) install new Nod (4) reinstall outpost. Any kind of upgrade on top has always resulted in disaster.

Usually, to get Outpost Web Control to work, I leave Nod32 compatibilty ticked during Outpost install. Web Control is still greyed out in Outpost but I make 3 changes to machine.ini to activate it and everything works fine. This method has worked well for years across different versions.

I'd delayed upgrading NOD until a couple of days ago: 7.0.302.26 and so also upgraded outpost to 8.1.2. I used the above order.

I decided to upgrade to Nod 7 because with Nod 6 I was experiencing freezes during startup which I'm 99% sure (based on timing of splashscreen etc.) is caused by Nod.

I then had a weekend of nothing but delayed or incomplete web page loading - painfully slow. So (after testing broadband speed, malware checks etc.) I seached for problems and found this thread. The symptoms described on the link above to the beta version of Nod32 are identical to what I'm experiencing. Even when I disable the web control using Outpost's settings interface, the problems continue. I have not tested any of the Nod32 configurations listed here.

Yesterday, I uninstalled Nod7, went back to 6 and everything works fine (though I still have the startup freeze lottery). After using Nod32 for over 10 years, I get the feeling I will not be renewing my licence in a few months' time. Nod has not peformed as well in comparatives as it used to, and recent advances are causing the kind of stability problems that never used to happen. I don't know if the core Nod tech people left the company some time back but Nod no longer performs like the smooth and effective King of AV products it used to be.

It's particularly disappointing that the problem was reported during beta and not resolved by Eset through more thorough compatibility testing. Similarly when I contacted Nod32 customer support about v6 startup crashes they denied it was Nod, then asked for various files from me, and then I never heard from them again. And the freeze problem was never properly answered on this forum. There seems to be a lack of urgency in resolving any compatibility issues with Outpost.

Edited by longtimeuser

• Administrators

Everything works fine but if I install Outpost Firewall Pro 8.1.2 my PC crashes.

Could you please reproduce the crash with Windows configured to generate complete or at least kernel memory dumps? When done, compress the dump, upload it to a safe location and pm me the download link. The dump should help us determine whether the crash is actually caused by ESET or whether it's something in Outpost firewall triggering the crash.

Hello; :)
I contacted support Outpost last  week, and they made me uninstall Outpost by Add / Remove program, WITHOUT using the Cleaner.Then I re installed Outpost 8.1.2. For reasons unknown to me, my PC is running very well again with V.7.0.302.26 Nod32 and Outpost 8.1.2   However I did nothing other than uninstall / reinstall Outpost, without changing anything in the configuration (I imported my rules after installation). This remains a mystery to me.

Yesterday, I uninstalled Nod7, went back to 6 and everything works fine (though I still have the startup freeze lottery). After using Nod32 for over 10 years, I get the feeling I will not be renewing my licence in a few months' time. Nod has not peformed as well in comparatives as it used to, and recent advances are causing the kind of stability problems that never used to happen. I don't know if the core Nod tech people left the company some time back but Nod no longer performs like the smooth and effective King of AV products it used to be.

It's particularly disappointing that the problem was reported during beta and not resolved by Eset through more thorough compatibility testing. Similarly when I contacted Nod32 customer support about v6 startup crashes they denied it was Nod, then asked for various files from me, and then I never heard from them again. And the freeze problem was never properly answered on this forum. There seems to be a lack of urgency in resolving any compatibility issues with Outpost.

I am also a long time ESET user, and I have not had any more problems with V7 than with any previous version quite the opposite actually.

What I would do is ditch Outpost and upgrade to ESET Smart Security and forget about all your problems :) Or use the built-in OS firewall if you use Vista or later.

You mention "stability problems" what kind of stability problems have you experienced when you have used ESET NOD32 AV alone without Outpost? 

ESET has not performed well is "comparatives as it used to" that sounds like usual FUD to me wich some users spread out, ESET has a very high consistency is "tests" wich can be important if test results are playing a big role when chosing product, infact the results has been improved lately part of that thanks to the new technologies added to the product and the cloud back-end under V6 and V7 development.

If I were to use ESET NOD32 then I would chose a Firewall and not a Firewall mini-suite meaning a Firewall +  other features.

As it is the other features that is likely to cause problems and not the Firewall itself.

Outpost is one of few firewalls that I am seeing cause problems with other AV's on this forum but other forums too thanks to the additional protection features wich isn't needed to be in a Firewall. A firewall is a firewall but Outpost is more than that as you probably know.

FWIW, You can check out this page if you consider to change firewall.

hxxp://www.techsupportalert.com/content/probably-best-free-security-list-world.htm?page=0,5

Edited by SweX

Swex

Thanks for the reply; it's clear you feel as positive and loyal towards Nod as I used to.

It's common in security software forums for people to suggest "Don't use X, switch to Y" and then go off topic for pages of what amount to no more than consumer loyalty. I don't plan to do that here.

What I would say is that as someone who works in software, the suggestion to 'stop using X' isn't helpful and is not a solution. We have a quality assurance team who's job it is to test our software to destruction in all worst case hardware AND software scenarios. They work in conjunction with R&D to ensure our products work on as many different machines as smoothly as possible. With PCs it's impossible to guarantee 100% smooth-running due to each invidivdual having an almost unique combination of OS, upgrades, drivers, services, registry etc. What you try to do is grade reported bugs so that you can fix them according to how critical they are AND how many users report them.

In security software there aren't too many players (around 30 AV/firewall solutions in total), so this is a relatively small testing scenario but is made complex by the fact that they're all in competition, so are less likely to get under the hood regarding tech issues than they might with, say, Microsoft.

I've been using security software since 1991 and in all that time I have not seen a satisfactory security suite. They all suffer from 1 or more of:

1. Being strong in one aspect (say, AV) and weak in another (say, firewall).

2. Unecessarily bloated in resource use.

3. Damaging the user's software environment in unusual circumstances (false positives particularly with respect to startup components). Single suites have too much control over everything and users are totally dependent on the software. I know this isn't a direct comparison but look at the recent MBAM disaster. Single suites also tend to fail more at clean uninstallation. I have had to help a number of folk with manual uninstallation of suites.

4. Different suites offer different useful tools but rarely all the ones you want.

For me the better solution is always to get the best of both fields. This also allows me to shop for features. So I've always gone for standalones.

Outpost for me has always been a solid firewall. Not only does it do the job but it's Web Content blocker is a simple and powerful tool for protection AND privacy. E.g. it blocks cookie returns and it stops java, active X etc. from running. You can configure it to allow whatever you want to run on a per-site basis. Nod32 by comparison lets everything run but decides whether or not it's safe to do so.

You suggest Nod has been a problem only when I use Outpost. Re-read my message, I've been running them side by side for years without a hitch. Only with Nod 6 (startup freeze) and Nod7 (can't use internet) has there been a problem.

I have a lifetime licence for Outpost and am unlikely to give that up short of Outpost taking a dive in quality. In addition to which, I think Outpost is a fine product. It's architecture has been mostly the same for the last few years. It's Nod that has changed and with each change there has been stability issues that Eset have not solved to my satisfaction. The suggestion, then, that I should uninstall Outpost and hand over all security of my PC to Eset's suite is simply unacceptable.

When I first subscribed to nod it was very much the 'industry-insider's' choice but over the years -- either because of changing staff, OS changes or changes in malware design -- Eset have lost ground. I don't dismiss comparatives when both comparative sites and security bloggers are able to explain how Nod32 is not as robust as it used to be and is positively blind in areas of malware and malware removal. And I think this has been Nod32's downfall. It was the leader in 'pure' virus detection and removal. Since then the malware word has become a lot more tricky and it's in its behavioural module design that Nod32 is now causing the kind of problems I'm experiencing.

I will definitely not be uninstalling outpost but, come renewal time, will see either that Eset and Agnitum have got this fixed or will be shopping for another AV -- though it's getting increasingly hard to ignore all the positive sounds people are making about Avast free despite its similarly weak performance in some AV comparisons.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Edited by longtimeuser