Eset let computer sleep while scan

While I scan my computer with eset, it usually go to sleep mode. How can I configure eset to let my computer still awake while scanning?

• Administrators

I'm not sure if this can be accomplished programmatically. I'd tend to believe it's the OS that should detect active processes and prevent the computer from entering sleep mode.

I have already try with avast and it not let my pc go into sleep mode. So I think the problem is from eset. Is it have configuration that prevent pc from go into sleep mode while scanning

The default "balanced" power mode setting in Windows will not enter sleep mode until 1 hour of inactivity has passed. That should be more than enough time for the default mode Eset scan to complete.

Are you using a laptop? I believe the sleep mode power settings are less in duration for a laptop since the setting might be set to "power saver" mode.

I want to ask is eset can prevent computer going to sleep mode while scanning. I don't want to change my balance power saving whenever I scan my pc

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, khoi2406 said:

I want to ask is eset can prevent computer going to sleep mode while scanning. I don't want to change my balance power saving whenever I scan my pc

As I have already written, I doubt this is something that a program can control programmatically. That said, the answer is no.

Only applications can tell Windows that it is not allowed to enter the energy saving mode. Some media applications do this (e.g. Winamp). I use this special application (freeware): don't sleep

But while "don't sleep" is running, Eset can't send Windows to sleep or hibernate mode after the scan. If I want to use this Eset feature, I have to play music with Winamp while Eset is scanning. This works.

@itman A full scan takes 5 hours for me. I do this once a month.

Edited by 100

• Administrators

It turned out to be doable. We'll consider adding an option to prevent standby in future versions of Eset's products.

• 2 months later...
On 6.5.2017 at 9:46 PM, 100 said:

I use this special application (freeware): don't sleep

Don't Sleep and all other tools that I know uses "SetThreadExecutionState" and it is no more reliable. (Sometimes my Windows 7 PC goes to hibernate while such tools are running or a media stream is played.) Software should now use "Power Availibility Requests" to prevent Windows from energy save modes

Comparison between "SetThreadExecutionState" and "Power Availibility Requests":

https://decatec.de/programmierung/c-sharp-windows-standby-unterdruecken/

Edited by 100