[solved] "no cleaning".... still automatically cleans anyway

As the title says. It finds a file it does not like and just cleans it then brags to you about it as if it did a good thing.

I can live with the annoying big brother attitude that only a small minority of false positives can be dynamically added to the exclusions list, as patronizing as it already is.

But this is the last straw, either fix it or I and my already short by this time temper am walking.

Edited by rambo919

• Administrators

Please elaborate more on what you mean. Cleaning level can be set for particular protection modules and on-demand scanner profiles separately. If set to "No cleaning", you will be prompted for an action upon detection. This is not recommended as gui may not be running when a threat is detected. Perhaps details about detections from the Detected threats logs would shed more light.

oh ffs, it was set to normal cleaning in startup scan.... Having to set it independently in 4 (hopefully not more) places instead of a universal toggle is what caused the problem. I'm fine with being able to set it separately but such settings should logically be treated more as settings exclusions because of how easy it is to miss.

And no sharing the logs would be missing the point, I HAVE to set it to no cleaning because I have files that can be false positives around all the time and I cannot afford to loose them. My personal problem is that it should be up to ME not the AV to decide what is a false positive or not.... and yes I probably over reacted slightly in the OP. I will not be forced into a pathetic paranoid "the world is out to get me please someone protect me" state regarding my system no matter how well meaning the protector might be.

The GUI not running when a threat is detected would be of no consequence as long as the default action (as it seems to be) is to simply block the process from being accessed/run until a action is decided upon.

Edited by rambo919

• Administrators

Startup scan should clean automatically as it's usually run when gui is not started yet. If you had malware, startup scan would only block it but the malware would remain on the disk and you might not know about it.

ESET is known for having virtually no false positives due to various techniques that we leverage and even cleaned files are quarantined so they can be restored at any time, if needed.