ESET root certificate not showing in Firefox

RvW

I'm using ESET NOD32 Antivirus (EAV) v10. When I visit a website using Edge, IE, Chrome and Opera it will usually say the root certificate is "ESET SSL Filter CA".

However, when using Firefox (latest version) it says "Entrust".

Is there any reason for that?

• Administrators

If a website doesn't use an EV certificate (those are excluded by default), try the following:

- disable SSL/TLS filtering
- restart the computer
- without launching any application, re-enable SSL/TLS filtering
- launch Firefox and check if the issue is resolved.

That's not the issue.  :)

Every browser uses the "ESET SSL Filter CA" root certificate.

Only Firefox uses an "Entrust" root certificate.

Is there any reason for that?

Hello; :)
I had the same problem as RvW with FireFox and NOD 32. This problem started with me with version 49 of FireFox (32b) My OS is Windows 7 SP1 32b. I solved the problem by installing the ESR version of FireFox, after uninstalling the browser completely (do not forget to delete its profile, FF will create a new one)
The latest version of ESR can be downloaded here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/ (Take version 52)

On 05/05/2017 at 5:15 PM, Marcos said:

Could you please post a screen shot of the address bar and certificate details?

Hi,

I'm having the same issue here. As a matter of fact, I think SSL filtering is not working with the latest version of Firefox (v53)

I've tried to reinstall the following version (complete re-installation + removal of FF profile), then disable/renable SSL filtering:

FF 53.0 + auto add: no go. Cert would not be added into FF cert store

FF 53.0 + manual export/import of ESET SSL + ask when doing SSL scan: also no go. Received zero prompt. The rest of the browsers (edge, IE and chrome) were okay (eset would prompt accordingly).

FF 52: ok

FF ESR 52: ok

I understand that FF 53 has tls 1.3 switched on by default. Not sure if this is the root cause?

Cheers

Edited by gostan

Hi Marcos,

Just a quick update: Ive just tried another test. First, I installed version FF52, then I disabled/renabled SSL filtering, and then I did an auto upgrade to FF53.0.2. SSL filtering worked.

Then, I uninstalled this instance of FF, kept the profile (so that the SSL cert remains in the cert8.db), and reinstall FF53.0.2. Again, SSL filtering worked as expected.

Finally, I uninstalled the FF app and removed the profile, and reinstall again FF53.0.2. SSL filtering, as expected, stops working.

Cheers!

On 5/5/2017 at 11:15 AM, Marcos said:

Could you please post a screen shot of the address bar and certificate details?

Here you go, Marcos.

Chrome.jpg

Firefox.jpg

Internet Explorer.jpg

Hi,

I have some additional information:

Each time I log on there is an error :

date | Personal firewall | Adding root certificate to all browsers on your PC failed | name of PC

Also in the registry there is a field FirefoxImportFailed which is set to (1).

image002.png

When I mport the cert manually it is set to (0):

image001.png

That only works unitl I log in again:

image004.png

After logging in it is again (1) and the same error (Adding root certificate to all browsers on your PC failed).

image005.png

And we're back to Entrust instead of ESET:

image006.png

Any idea what may be causing this?

;-)

Edited by RvW
typo

• Administrators

Regarding the error "Adding root certificate to all browsers on your PC failed ", please continue as follows:

- make sure that you have Internet protection module 1303 installed (see the About window)
- disable SSL/TLS filtering
- restart the computer
- without launching any application, re-enable SSL/TLS filtering
- launch Firefox and check if the issue is resolved.

Should the problem persist, download Process Monitor, repeat the steps but before re-enabling SSL/TLS filtering start logging with Process Monitor. When done, stop logging and provide me with the generated Procmon log (in a compressed form) and ELC logs.

Internet protection module 1303 should solve issues with the import of a root certificate for Firefox 53.