agent upgrade via "Remote Administrator Components Upgrade" not working

I have ERA 6.5

I had a number of windows servers with EFS 6.5 and an older agent.

My understanding was that I can upgrade the agent via a client task: "Remote Administrator Components Upgrade"

I set such a task and ERA console showed that the task was complete, however the version on the clients remained at 6.3

In the end at this site I ended up creating an update batch file, which I then ran by other means, this worked and the and ERA Agent is now at 6.5

I have 2 other customers with a similar scenario so before I start on them can you please advise: Am I correct that "Remote Administrator Components Upgrade" is meant to upgrade agent on clients, and if so why do you think it didn't work in this case?

regards

Roga

6 minutes ago, bbahes said:

I think Remote Administrator Components Upgrade is for ERA server itself.

So is there a way to update agent via client tasks?

1 minute ago, roga said:

So is there a way to update agent via client tasks?

Seems like you are right, check this post:

55 minutes ago, bbahes said:

Seems like you are right

Thanks

So my original question remains, I used the recommended procedure and it didn't work, I have 2 other ESET sites to deal with, how do I get it working: copying a batch file or using GPO is NOT what I want to do.

• ESET Staff

I would first recommend you, to check whether your repositories in both ERA agent policy, and ERA Server settings are set to the same value = AUTOSELECT.

Also, can you tell us, which version of ERA Agent (the older one) you are trying to upgrade? Component upgrade tasks always uses a server as a "reference component", meaning it will try to upgrade all ERA components to the version compatible with the server. On the backend, there is a complicated procedure, and mapping of a "compatible" ERA agent version and update matrix, which defines, which versions could be upgraded. If you are using any beta / unofficial build of ERA agent, the task would end with "success", however, without upgrading the agent, as there is in fact no newer version referenced.

So steps to troubleshoot are:

- verify that you have the supported version of ERA Agent (one of those): http://support.eset.com/kb3690/

- verify, that your repository in Agent Policy, and Server Settings, is configured to "AUTOSELECT"

Thanks MichalJ

As far as I can tell Agent and Server policy are set to AUTOSELECT, however I don't know if there is an easy way to query this - I had a look at the applied policies for a sample computer, but is there a more efficient way?

I am trying to upgrade Agent 6.3.177.0 - we rolled back from 6.4 due to 6.4 creating files in Crypto directory. I got the details for 6.3.177.0 from a question in this forum.

I have manually upgraded the ERA server with the installer batch file, but it doesn't seem to want to upgrade the client machines after I have done this.

I'm guessing that my problem is caused by the unusual version of agent (6.3.177.0) I'm using.

What i have decided to do is run as a "server task", i.e. the same task to deploy agent that is used with unmanaged machines.

The small number of client machines I have tested this on so far have worked OK, so I guess this is the least worst way of doing it.

• ESET Staff

It´s clearly caused by the uncommon version of ERA agent you are using, which is not allowed to be upgraded (it´s not defined in our upgrade matrices, as only the upgrades from officially released versions are tested). It would be helpful to find out, from where you get the uncommon version, to prevent issues like this in the future.

It´s version that was not officially released. The version with 6.3 release was: 6.3.136.0

Edited by MichalJ

2 hours ago, MichalJ said:

It would be helpful to find out, from where you get the uncommon version, to prevent issues like this in the future.

It´s version that was not officially released. The version with 6.3 release was: 6.3.136.0

It was from this post by MartinK of ESET Staff: