NOD32 won't install for friends laptop - Windows Vista 64bit

mgauci45

I've been two days trying to install NOD32 on this rig.

All previous antivirus installations are gone.

I've tried using the utilities that are recommended (the uninstaller in safe mode, the ServicesRepair tool, etc) but it still will not complete the install.

It keeps saying that either there was just an error installing or that the system wasn't rebooted.  Despite the ServicesRepair tool supposedly getting the BaseFiltering engine back into Services, it has yet to do so.

I'm at wits end! I just want to install this and give the laptop back.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by mgauci45

• Administrators

If you look at the Service list in the Control panel, is the "Base filtering" service actually present and running or you mean that it's not there and running ServicesRepair didn't fix it?

Ok, Base Filtering is there, thought it's startup type says it's Automatic (delayed start).

I ran the uninstaller, then tried an offline 64 bit install and it came back that it ended prematurely.  Checked to make sure Base Filtering was still there and it was.

I had just let the online eset virus scanner run all night and it came back clean.  I'm used the eset malware tools to check for other software and nothing shows up.

I'm going to try a 32 bit install and see what happens.

Edited by mgauci45

Ok, went in and checked.

It was there but said it was manual.  I started the service then tried the install again.

It came back with the computer has not been restarted after a program installation. Please restart the computer and run the installer again.  This isn't the first time I've gotten this message.

Restarted the system after using the uninstall utility again.  Going to check the services again to ensure they're going before starting the reinstall.  Tried the reinstall and it gives the whole setup ended prematurely again.

Another thing that I've noticed is that Windows Update will not work and Windows Defender will not turn on.

I'm sure that this was a result of the malicious software from before, but since the system has been cleaned (apparently according to eset utilities) it still will not start, even after having the servicesrepair utility started.

It's alright.  I backed up what I could, wiped it and it took on the reinstall of windows.

I was hoping to avoid doing so, but the OS was just too messed up.

Thats alright, it sounded like it had really been crippled.

Check out Farbar anyway for next time you clean up a virus and its left in a un-useable state because the virus deleted dll's and services important to windows.

Good luck !

PS. Windows installer is suppose to be manual, as it starts only when windows is ready to install something by way of .msi

Sometimes it gets deleted as a service due to registry corruption.

Edited by Arakasi