After 9 to 10 Win 7 thinks no firewall or virus protection

After upgrading ESS  from 9 to 10 Win 7 thinks there is no firewall or virus protection and wants me to turn on windows firewall and find anti-virus online.

I have checked ess 10.0.390.0 setup and Computer Protection (RTFS, HIPS, & webcam) are on, Internet Protection (all are on), Network Protection (all are on), and Security (Banking & Anti-theft are on).

Should I turn on windows firewall too?

How can windows 7 know there is anti-virus?

• Administrators

Do you have ESS or EIS installed? Is everything in ESET's gui green and you're not getting any red sign of an issue either in the protection status or setup pane?

It is ESS (Eset Smart Security). Home screen shows Green with "You are protected". Setup shows all Green and if I drill down the settings I previously reported.

If I open Control Panel\System and Security\Action Center it shows Red Network firewall "Windows firewall is turned off or setup incorrectly" and red Virus protection "Windows did not find antivirus software on this computer."

The same problem here I got Esset Smart Security.

Windows firewall is not active but the version of Windows defender is red en in de status version of my panel it is marked active.

All the panel setting of ESS are green en up to date.All the protection is active and OK

Windows update marked the definition of her Defender as important , but the response from Microsoft security forum gives no solutions for this

Greetings

Mireille

Now Windows Update wants to install 2 updates for this:

Microsoft Security Essentials - (KB2902907)

Download size: 13.0 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

You may not be running an anti-malware solution and this may leave your PC vulnerable to viruses, spyware and other malicious software. Microsoft Security Essentials is a free anti-malware software offered to Windows users who have purchased a Genuine copy of Windows. Microsoft Security Essentials is licensed for use on home PCs and by small businesses with 10 or fewer PCs. You can download alternative languages directly from www.microsoft.com/security_essentials with the “more information” link below.

and

Microsoft Security Essentials - 4.9.218.0 (KB3140479)

Download size: 13.7 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

You may not be running an anti-malware solution and this may leave your PC vulnerable to viruses, spyware and other malicious software. Microsoft Security Essentials is a free anti-malware software offered to Windows users who have purchased a Genuine copy of Windows. Microsoft Security Essentials is licensed for use on home PCs and by small businesses with 10 or fewer PCs. You can download alternative languages directly from www.microsoft.com/security_essentials with the “more information” link below.

Dear Spencer

This information is for me not usable because :

My version W 8.1 has no use for the solution to update your proposed version. It's already has an newer and update version of Windows Defender update to today. From the Windows version 8 Microsoft Security Essential is replaced met de improved version of Wiindows Defender..

So the problem stays the same. It's probably a glitch between the two programs who for what i know and all the responses I find not easily resolved. The problem with Windows Defender is that this program is automaticity with  Microsoft Windows software version 8 and higher on your PC and it appears that you can't get ride of this. It is normally no problem and I did the only thing I can do ,in my settings i closed the settings witch tell you that a problem has occurred with the app Maintenance.

So it seems that Microsoft and the providers of Virus & Security programme's find that this problem and their answer can be resolved by giving a answer that I must install this or that , however everything that was proposed was already done by me.

I remember on my previous PC running with a earlier version of Windows this problem never occurred , the reason was that automatic Microsoft Security Essential was tuned of when a protection software from another company was installed.

So my conclusion is that the best thing to do is ignore the message in the maintenance section from Windows Defender.

I check it regularly al my settings and every change in my system. Update everything what's important and make on regular times a backup from my whole system on a external source .

Greetings

Mireille

Did you perform an in-place upgrade from v9 to v 10 or did you uninstall v9 first and run the eset uninstall tool in safe mode, then download the offline ess v10  installer and install v10?

I originally  did the in-place upgrade  through v9 and although everything appeared to work, it wasn't for some reason installed correctly  GUI issue for me or parts missing iirc, i have included  a screen grab of  ESS V10 running on my W7 SP1 X64 based box

Also, you do not need to install update win defender, and i certainly would not recommend downloading  MS av essentials   just select and hide those updates  don't d/load or install them they are not needed

I also run a tool that prevents win10 being downloaded and installed  without your knowledge and some of the ms telemetry  that they have been trying to force  upon win 7 users  in  sneaky underhanded way  even their quite useless MRT is now spying on you  unless you stop the windows service it triggers  or better still delete it from sys 32

ess wfwall.JPG

I went looking for downloads and found there is now ESS and ESS premium.  I am not sure if I am allowed to use the premium with my license, so I just got ESS.

I installed it and my version is now 10.1.204.0.  And it seem to have corrected the problem. I did not uninstall first.