ERA On Linux Or Windows

Hi Folks,

We are in the end of our testing phase.
We do have era installed on a local windows machine.

Now once we will go live, era will be hosted as a Hyper-V VM on one of our HA Servers.
Whats better for performance and easy of administration.

Windows Server or CENT OS Linux Server ?

thanks for your tips

Edited by kultec

• ESET Staff

You have not mentioned sizing (number of managed computers), but in case you manage more than ~10000 computers, it is recommended to use SQL Server as a database server.

In case you manage less computers, there should be no performance difference between Windows/Linux platforms. I guess Windows is simplier to manage for most of users, but that is affected by administrator's prefference.

Regarding ERA, installation is more straightforward on Windows platform (all in one installer, interactive with GUI) and it is simplier to configure all ERA features, especially those intergrating ERA with AD/LDAP, including login into domain. Installation on Linux may be more complicated, but you will most probably get system with much lower memory footprint, especially in case of "headless" installations.

thanks

just finished installing era on Linux ( ubuntu )

maybe there will be some upgrade in the future for mssql on Linux, it is available via docker for now

4 hours ago, MartinK said:

You have not mentioned sizing (number of managed computers), but in case you manage more than ~10000 computers, it is recommended to use SQL Server as a database server.

In case you manage less computers, there should be no performance difference between Windows/Linux platforms. I guess Windows is simplier to manage for most of users, but that is affected by administrator's prefference.

Regarding ERA, installation is more straightforward on Windows platform (all in one installer, interactive with GUI) and it is simplier to configure all ERA features, especially those intergrating ERA with AD/LDAP, including login into domain. Installation on Linux may be more complicated, but you will most probably get system with much lower memory footprint, especially in case of "headless" installations.

Virtual Appliance for me wins over any Windows scenario. ESET should look to invest everything to move away from Windows platform for server management side. And I say this as hard core Windows sys admin. Fingers crossed for ESET Enterprise Inspector VA! ;)