Future changes to ESET NOD32 Antivirus, ESET Internet Security, ESET Smart Security Premium and ESET Ultimate Security

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

The goal of this message thread is to provide ESET with feedback on changes and new features you would like to see in future versions of ESET NOD32 Antivirus, ESET Internet Security, ESET Smart Security Premium and ESET Ultimate Security. Please use the following format when providing feedback:

Description: A very specific one line description of your feedback.
Detail: A more detailed explanation of your feedback. Please feel free to make this any length, but be sure to use terms everyone can understand. If your suggestion is an extension or update to an existing discussion, please include a link to it in your message.

Here is an example:

Description:  Raspberry Pi support
Detail: The Raspberry Pi is a small ARM-based single-board computer popular
with hobbyists.  I think ESET should make a version of ESET NOD32 Antiivirus for it.

You are welcome to discuss the merits of each and every suggestion, but keep your comments on topic, concise and thoughtful.  There are other parts of the forum to discuss issues.

NOTE:  When making your requests do not make general statements such as "better detection, HIPS, firewall, cleaning, and so forth."  ESET's threat researchers constantly examine new threats and release updates to the virus signature database and to the modules in order to improve these functions.  If you have a specific feature or functionality you would like to see added (or improved) please post it here, but general requests to "make things better" are not helpful because they do not give ESET detailed enough information.  Thank you for your understanding.
[Added 2013-06-10]

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• 2 months later...

The interface needs rationalising.

It is not always the case that all the options for a given feature are in the same place. IIRC, configuring the Idle scan needs two separate locations.

When I was previously with ESET, I was concerned that thye main program was rarely updated.

To me, as a customer, 'no change' means nothing good. No software is perfect as is not interface.

• 4 weeks later...
  • ESET Moderators

Hello,

The default behavior of the software is to check for updates every 60 minutes.  ESET releases an update every seven hours or so (rough estimate on my part).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Add "Update Now" or "Check for Updates" at tray menu icon.(right click)

One feature I would really like to see is a scan when the screensaver is activated. My previous internet security program had that feature and I really liked it.

From personal experience, more malware was found during screensaver scan than any other method.

Hello,

The default behavior of the software is to check for updates every 60 minutes.  ESET releases an update every seven hours or so (rough estimate on my part).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Some people may think that releasing an VSD update every 7'th hour (or so) is not a good approach, as some vendors release one every hour, while ESET releases an VSD "as needed" wich I am perfectly fine with. But VSD updates is not the only updates that we get!

So I want to add a quote by Marcos from the old forum at Wilders, and this IMO should be displayed as a feature       (or at least mention it in the product description) on the product/s page on Eset.com as it is quite interesting fact to know about the product. Without giving away any critical details of course as Marcos says below...

The "Blocked object" detections come from suspicious websites. V6 updates the list of such websites every few minutes via cloud while older versions update it with every attempt to update, ie. every hour by default.

I don't want to go into details as this forum may also be read by bad guys, you know.

P.S I hope it's OK to share this here, I figure if it weren't OK to talk about it then Marcos wouldn't have told us about this feature in the first place   :)

Edited by SweX

• 2 weeks later...

Aryeh, i would really like the option of right click check for updates from systray icon also. Despite the check on login, and every 60min that it does.

It may be redundant, but it is on par with other software and its becoming a update software etiquette type user action.

I perform it on 4 other software, then if i want to double check on eset i have to load entire gui.

From a programming perspective this is a very easy addition.

Pleeeaaaseee ask dev team.

Thx :)

lol

Guest anony mouse

Decription: Auto alert on new version

Detail: Have an automatic pop up like when your licence expires stating that a new version is available with a link to install, or have an auto update button to automatically update the version of software

• 3 weeks later...

A small matter - in earlier versions when NOD32 found a problem the icon in the notification area turned orange and was very easy to spot. Now all we get is a green circle with an exclamation mark that's nowhere near as obvious. Can we go back to the orange eye please? :)

• ESET Moderators

Hello,

The reason the behavior was changed because of complaints that the yellow "warning color" was too severe an action to perform on messages which were supposed to be more informational in nature.  I'm not really sure what can be done here, though, as different customers have different preferences, and trying to allow the icon to be customized would result in all sorts of problems, ranging from support issues to attacks by malware (in order to hide it/change it to normal).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

A small matter - in earlier versions when NOD32 found a problem the icon in the notification area turned orange and was very easy to spot. Now all we get is a green circle with an exclamation mark that's nowhere near as obvious. Can we go back to the orange eye please? :)

Orange was just fine as it was before IMO. I mean if something more "severe" is happening then it will turn Red as it still does of course, but Orange for "hey I need your attention" is OK I think. But maybe that's just me, and each to their own I guess. :)

Orange was just fine as it was before IMO. I mean if something more "severe" is happening then it will turn Red as it still does of course, but Orange for "hey I need your attention" is OK I think. But maybe that's just me, and each to their own I guess. :)

I agree with SweX. Even though I am using ESET NOD32 4 I have the orange icon, but a green icon with an exclamation mark isn't really that much spottable IMO. I haven't seen it since I am using NOD32 4 (which is an older version) it still has the orange icon.

jadinolf

jadinolf
  • Group: Members
  •  
  • Kudos: 0

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:45 AM

One feature I would really like to see is a scan when the screensaver is activated. My previous internet security program had that feature and I really liked it.

From personal experience, more malware was found during screensaver scan than any other method

Hello "Jad" fyi as I don't believe anyone informed you on your post on wants for a computer scan when screen saver activates = in version 6.0.316 there is EXACTLY that option under advanced option and then realtime scanner under "IDLE STATE Scanning options, uncheck ALL but your screen saver and your scan will be performed when screen saver kicks in, hope this helps as I am a new member here but a 100% ESET CUSTOMER / USER ALL THE WAY.

jadinolf

jadinolf
  • Group: Members
  •  
  • Kudos: 0

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:45 AM

From personal experience, more malware was found during screensaver scan than any other method

Hello "Jad" fyi as I don't believe anyone informed you on your post on wants for a computer scan when screen saver activates = in version 6.0.316 there is EXACTLY that option under advanced option and then realtime scanner under "IDLE STATE Scanning options, uncheck ALL but your screen saver and your scan will be performed when screen saver kicks in, hope this helps as I am a new member here but a 100% ESET CUSTOMER / USER ALL THE WAY.

Thank you for the post

Battlin'~D@~Big~*C*

I really appreciate it. I am new to NOD32 and realize now that I should print out the manual and learn more about this wonderful program.

I think that I have followed your steps accurately, so let's see what happens.

I have three computers on this license so, two more to go.

Many thanks.,

Description: Logitech G15 LCD Support - hxxp://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/keyboards/articles/554
Detail: Gaming keeps getting better and better, most AV software companies have begun to add Gamer-mode. What would really set eset software apart and again ahead of the industry above all others; would be to add in a little logitech support. I have noticed several questions asked about nod32 that would not have been asked had we been able to monitor eset out of games and full screen mode apps, where desktop is missing. This could even work for corporate if your using mstsc / rdp or something similar. Although i dont know of many businesses running a $100+ keyboard lol.

What could be displayed ?

*Gamer mode on/off status

*Updating

*Real time objects being scanned

*Pop-ups and alerts while surpressed in gamer mode, can now be filtered to the lcd screen

*Eset / egui+ekrn cpu usage %

*Eset / egui+ekrn memory utilization %

* Heck add in cpu and memory usage as a whole; make coretemp and such programs obsolete. LOLOL :)

Most users like myself that have a gaming computer really can handle eset running at full power and without gamer mode. However the added cpu idle and scheduled full scans being disabled etc are still very nice along with the other added features of gaming mode.

I would really like to see this, but it may be wishful thinking :)

Edited by Arakasi

• 1 month later...

I would like to suggest the following relatively minor improvements to NOD32:

01) Allow the HIPS rules window to remember the last size and position. It is tedious to have to resize this window every time.

02) Add a setting to make the alerts popups open the advanced options drop-down as default.

03) Better wildcard support for the HIPS module. For example, allow items such as "C:\Windows\*.log".

04) Allow wildcards for Source Applications in HIPS rules. As the final rule of 3 out of 4 policies is to allow the action (including the default policy), this would NOT be a dangerous modification. There are instances where this would be quite useful. Some examples:

a.) on a system running the Surun application every application needs to be able to launch surun.exe

b.) many applications may need to write to "C:\Windows\Rescache\rc000*\rescache.hit"

c.) many applications may need to write to "C:\Windows\CSC\v2.0.6\namespace\localhost"

It would make rulesets much smaller to integrate all these actions into a single rule for Source Applications "C:\Program Files\*" and "C:\Program Files (x86)\*", instead of so many separate rules.

If you've made it this far into my post, thanks for taking the time to read. Any consideration of these changes by the ESET developers would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by 0strodamus

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but whenever I do a right click scan I would like to see options in that small scan window to remove, delete, exclude etc it's kind of annoying not having those options atleast to me.

From the right-click context menu, you can run a scan with or without cleaning. To clean threats, simply select the option "Clean with ESET NOD32 Antivirus" (or "Clean files" in v7).

[Thread moved from Hello and merged into the Future changes to ESET NOD32 Antivirus by moderator. AG]

Hello

We had asked for a strong start a behavior analyst white list And Sandbox like the rest of protections and also that the Arab program supports have you said to us that you will be surprised all the world's seventh edition But like the sixth version like nothing new V depends on the database and Web protection and lacks the layers of protection, Sandbox and white list and we hope you improve it in the next update or reply to us even know that it will become stronger or move on to a program like This is not what we want because of our deep love for the program Thank you

:mellow:

Hi Ali

I would have no need for a sandbox.

Same here!  :)

@ali

If you want a sanbox like program, then you should take a look at Sandboxie (hxxp://www.sandboxie.com/) wich is very popular among those who want or already use a sandbox type program.

@Admin. Once again my message disappeard after I clicked on the post button!!!

Edited by SweX