I note that versions 10 onwards do not support Windows XP.

But version 9 will run on XP and loads newest virus sig's but doesn't do a 'product' update to v10.

So, would my XP computer be protected ok with the 9.0.386.0 version or would it be missing something of importance?

Thanks for any info.

• Most Valued Members
1 hour ago, The Scorpion said:

I note that versions 10 onwards do not support Windows XP.

But version 9 will run on XP and loads newest virus sig's but doesn't do a 'product' update to v10.

So, would my XP computer be protected ok with the 9.0.386.0 version or would it be missing something of importance?

Thanks for any info.

I'm sure I read one of the mods had it working on XP but it's technically not officially supported. 

However I'm not sure about other people, but I probably wouldn't recommend using XP as it is no longer supported by Microsoft so it doesn't receive updates including bug fixes. While security programs will protect you to a degree I can imagine if a security hole is found you'd be at risk 

Thanks for the reply peteyt. My small emachines (second laptop) only has XP so I was looking for an AV that would give some protection on it. Not worth the expense of upgrading the system - even if it was capable of upgrade. So was wondering if Eset's version 9 is weaker 'protection-wise' than the later versions of Eset when it comes to virus protection on XP.

• Administrators

Why install v9 if v10 works on Windows XP? Use v10 unless you have some issues. If an issue is XP related, then most likely v9 wouldn't work better either.

Marcos, v10 won't work on XP that's why I've installed v9. It wouldn't install on my XP and I then saw that the Eset site said they no longer supported XP after v9 and suggested installing 9 if necessary.

• Administrators

V10 works on Windows XP SP3 like v9 does. I've used it since v10 was first released and have not observed any issues.