(Solved) ESET Internet Security v10.1.204 Firewall bug

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Thors69 said:

I can now install the v 10 and I get the update automatically?

You'd also need to switch updates to pre-release. I recommend this to be done on any non-production system as in case you come across an issue connected with a module update in the future, you'll simply be able to switch to regular updates, report it to ESET and wait until the issue is fixed. Otherwise it could happen that nobody will report us issues and a module will be released to all users. In such case, switching between update types wouldn't obviously help and the problem can only be solved by ESET replacing the module on update servers.

• ESET Insiders
39 minutes ago, Thors69 said:

Can I return to normal mode after the test mode when the new modules are loaded?

Hast ne PN dazu!

• ESET Insiders

Has anyone already installed the PreRelease and how does it fix the error?

Edited by SlashRose

• ESET Insiders

Hi Marcos,
Could you please tell me when the final version of the firewall module will become releast so I can get back to the regular updates from the test version updates!

• Administrators

We plan to release it for all v10 users next week.

However, as I have already mentioned, I'd strongly recommend using pre-release updates on non-production systems, especially if you use a non-standard configuration (interactive mode with custom rules for instance). Pre-release updates are not beta updates; they are carefully tested in our environment both by QA and then also on hundreds of production machines before they are put on pre-release servers. The problem is that only very few users enable pre-release updates. As a result, you often receive the very same modules if nobody reports issues with pre-release updates and seldom they may cause issues like you have recently encountered with firewall rules.

An advantage of pre-release updates is that you can switch to release updates at any time you encounter an issue and this way solve it until ESET comes up with a fixed module. Once a module has been released to all users, you won't be able to fix it yourself as switching between pre-release and release updates will not make any difference and we will have to replace the module on update servers ourselves.

• ESET Insiders

Thanks for the reply Marcos, but it would be great, if you on the day where the final of the firewall module Releast will be able to give a small info again!

• ESET Insiders
On ‎30‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 2:08 AM, Uxorious said:

Ich installierte eine saubere Windows 10 Pro (1703) und ESET Smart Security 10.1.204.0 heute, und ich sehe das gleiche Problem :-(

Either in the settings under Updates on PreRelease or they wait a few days this week will be the final of the new firewall module Releast, where this error is fixed!

• Administrators

Don't switch from pre-release to release updates yet, otherwise you'd need to manually delete the folder "c:\program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Modules\em008k_64" in safe mode. We'll let you know when it will be ok to switch back (although the best would be if you keep pre-release updates enabled all the time on non-production systems).

5 hours ago, Marcos said:

Don't switch from pre-release to release updates yet, otherwise you'd need to manually delete the folder "c:\program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Modules\em008k_64" in safe mode. We'll let you know when it will be ok to switch back (although the best would be if you keep pre-release updates enabled all the time on non-production systems).

For keeping pre-release updates on, what is your definition of a non-production machine?

I'm using my PC daily ... is that a production machine?

What is the risk of keeping pre-releases on?

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Uxorious said:

For keeping pre-release updates on, what is your definition of a non-production machine?
I'm using my PC daily ... is that a production machine?
What is the risk of keeping pre-releases on?

By production machine I mean a machine that you use for everyday work and where outages caused by receiving possibly faulty modules in the first wave (something like Insider program for Windows 10) are not an option. However, due to a low number of users receiving pre-release updates, users with regular updates usually receive the very same modules after a few days or weeks if no issues are reported. I would like to emphasize again that pre-release updates are updates that have been thoroughly tested by ESET QA and that have been installed on many of our production systems too. They are not kind of updates you should be afraid of to use on home systems, especially if you are advanced users. Using pre-release updates gives you the opportunity to report possible issues and have them fixed before they are distributed to all users. Also you have an option to switch to regular updates to quickly fix an issue caused by new modules until we put a fixed version of a particular module on pre-release servers. This is no longer possible once a new faulty module has been put both on pre-release and release servers and only ESET staff can fix it then on update servers.

8 minutes ago, Marcos said:

By production machine I mean a machine that you use for everyday work and where outages caused by receiving possibly faulty modules in the first wave (something like Insider program for Windows 10) are not an option. [SNIP] Also you have an option to switch to regular updates to quickly fix an issue caused by new modules until we put a fixed version of a particular module on pre-release servers.

I will leave pre-release on then - I can spend the 30 minutes to find a workaround/disable ESET if something bad happens.

However, I don't understand the 2nd part of your quote. 2 posts earlier you said we can currently NOT go back to the release version until something else is fixed.
Do you mean that we *normally* can go back, but right now you have another bug that prevents that from working?

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Uxorious said:

However, I don't understand the 2nd part of your quote. 2 posts earlier you said we can currently NOT go back to the release version until something else is fixed.
Do you mean that we *normally* can go back, but right now you have another bug that prevents that from working?

Yes, normally you can switch back to regular updates. However, currently we don't recommend it due to a possible bug in updater that would not remove the new module em008k_64 unlike other modules and the firewall module em008 on release servers is not currently compatible with the em008k module on pre-release servers. It's possible to do that but one would need to follow my instructions above and delete " c:\program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Modules\em008k_64" in safe mode.

• Administrators

Yes, the module is now available for all v10 users on regular update servers. However, I would keep pre-release updates enabled at least for the next 2-3 weeks, otherwise you'll need to boot to Safe mode and delete "c:\program Files\ESET\ESET Smart Security\Modules\em008k_64". Due to a possible bug in updater, this new module is not removed automatically while switching to regular updates and you would end up with mutually incompatible modules then. Within 2-3 weeks we plan to put a compatible em008k_64 module on regular update servers.

• ESET Insiders

@Marcos how about this error that come up in log with every restart?

screenshot_16.png

Is it related to firewall module? it also in ESET Antivirus v 10.0.390 and v10.1.204

everything else seems to be working fine but Flash seems to have a problem.

Firefox 53* Browsing Twitch.tv

EIS 10.1.204.0

Interactive Mode / on Preview Updates (current build 15376)

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerPlugin_25_0_0_148.exe

Edit

Not to sure why this is marked solved - instance of this bug is still floating around.

Notification popup is set to "create and remember" but still pops up.

Edited by Sonar